Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2020, 07:51 PM   #1

Proper Magnum Inverter settings for New Batteries

I have just installed 4 New Lifeline GPL-31T AGM batteries in my 2006 Revolution LE. I wanted to check here to hopefully get the proper and correct setting for my inverter, so I can get maximum life out of the batteries. The salesman wasn't exactly sure so I came here for help. 90% of my camping is off the generator and batteries. I need settings for Inverter setup, charger setup, and AGS setup. Under Inverter their is 02A-search watts, 02B-LBCO settings, 02D-AC IN - VDC, 02E- AC IN - SOC and 02F- Power Up. Under Charger setup their is 03B- VAC Dropout, 03D- Absorb Done, 03E- Max Charge Rate, 03F- Max Charge, and 03G- Final Charge. Under AGS their is 04A- Gen Run VDC, 04B- Gen Run Time, 04C- Gen Run Amps, 04D- Gen Run SOC, 04E- Gen Run Temp and 04F- Max Gen Run. Thanks for your help.
shajoe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 09:52 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Don't ask here. Get your battery brand name and amp hour info and call Magnum while standing in front of the inverter control panel. They will do the math and walk you through each setting for your batteries. It only takes a few minutes.

If you can't wait, here are some settings that were put together by the Newmar guys with AGM batts. I have eight AGMs.

01D-max charge: 200ADC
02A-search watts: 5 watts
02B-LBCO : 10.7 VDC
02D-AC in: 11.0-14.1 VDC
02E-AC in SOC: 80% to 100% (this can be safely lowered to 50% for boon docking)
02F-Power Up:Always On
03A-AC Input: Amps=30A
03B-VAC Dropout 100VAC
03C-Battery Type: AGM2
03D-Absorb Done:100% SOC
03E-Max Charge Rate: 100%
03F-Max Charge Time: 18.0 HRS
03G-Final Charge Stage: Multi
03G-EQ reminder: off
04-AGS setup (setup per your needs)

This setup is for gen start to match ac in settings, so 04D is setup for gen run soc of 80% to 95%. This can be lowered for boondocking.

05A Charge Eff: off
05B AmpHour Size: 820ah
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:08 AM   #3

Do you have the manual? The Magnum manuals are incredibly detailed. They do an outstanding job of explaining how to arrive at the proper settings for your system. Yes, it involves some math, pretty much everything does. If you don't have a manual you can probably download one. If you do have a manual I suggest you read and follow it.
It would be impossible for anyone to give you all the right settings without knowing your generator size, breaker sizes, use patterns, etc.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:51 AM   #4

Thanks, I will call Magnum in the morning. I have talked to them before when my batteries were dying and they were very helpful.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The key parameter is the battery type (03C). Select AGM or AGM2, but for most needs AGM2 is the best choice. Everything else is a fine tuning optimization dependent of exactly how you use the RV. In most cases you won't be able to tell any difference anyway. The set of parameters that DS Don suggests will be fine.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #6

I have Lifeline and Magnum video says select AGM 1 for Lifeline batteries. Thanks
Old 03-29-2020, 10:08 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
One setting I've found that's not obvious, the LBCO - Low Battery Cutoff setting.

You'd think something like 12.1v would be where you want to set it. Because when your batteries get to 50% you'd want the inverter to stop. Right?

Well, if you're running on the inverter, even with full batteries at 12.7v and you turn on something big like your microwave it's possible to see it pull your batteries down to 11.5v or so due to the large draw. It will not stay at 11.5v after you've finished a short microwave session. But, if you set the LBCO for 12.1v the inverter will beep and turn off when the voltage drops from the large microwave draw.

I only know because I set mine for 12.2v and was puzzled when the 2000w inverter didn't seem capable to run the microwave for 30 sec even with a fully charged battery bank.

Don's chart has LBCO for 10.7v and that's a good number - it just sounds low.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #8

Two additional bits of input:

1) If the Magnum is an older unit, the AGM1 Lifeline Setting has Float a bit lower then what the latest Feb, 2017 revision recommendations are. So use Custom, and set float to the latest values. (Not a big deal, but always best to go with Lifeline's latest recommendations. Magnum said I could by a new control board, and it would have the latest AGM1 settings agreeing with the slightly higher Float. Elected to not spend the money, and went Custom.)

http://lifelinebatteries.com/wp-cont...cal-Manual.pdf

2) On Don's shared Newmar gangs settings. If you are say at home and do not have 30A, but want to plug the unit in to keep the batteries maintained, set the AC Input value to 15A vs 30A. (And AGM setting is AGM1, as noted.)

One last other caution, if you leave the coach plugged in to maintain a charge for longer periods of time. I 'Walked Down' a set of X's 4 L16's Lifelines, due to some of the logic on my Magnum MS2812 (From 2013, newer Magnums may not have this SNAFU. Worth a call to Magnum with your units serial number, to ask about if the AGM1 setting is the newer Lifeline recommended Float values. And if they've change the logic any.)

>If Final Charge is set to Multi (Like with a solar controller in the mix.)
>Once the Magnum gets a Fully Charged status. It hibernates/sleep mode until it thinks it needs to do something.
>It checks the Voltage reading of the House Battery, and once it's down to 12.6V, it wakes up and goes back into Float mode. But only runs Float for one hour, before again hibernating/sleep mode.

12.6V is fine for Wet Cell batteries, but way too low for AGM/Lifeline batteries. And on a larger bank like the 800A of Lifeline's I have, one hour of Float is not enough to bring the batteries back to 100% SOC. We are sometimes parked in non travel mode for 3 months, and during this time unknowingly (I did not know the above paramours were for Wet, assumed that if on AGM1 (Which I was for several years.), that the rest of the Magnum software's logic would support Lifeline/AGM - on my era Magnum, it does not.

It was 757Driver that helped me understand that I'd had the wrong settings.

Oh, and I do have solar. But while at home and plugged into the 15A or 20A (Depending upon which way I pull the coach in.), I turn the Solar Controller off.).

Good luck to you, and best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:53 AM   #9

I agree with Don and I added in a few details.

01D-max charge: 200ADC depends on battery bank vs charger size.
02A-search watts: 5 watts
02B-LBCO : 10.7 VDC
02D-AC in: 11.0-14.1 VDC
02E-AC in SOC: 80% to 100% (this can be safely lowered to 50% for boon docking)
02F-Power Up:Always On
03A-AC Input: Amps=30A This is dependent on what you are plugged in to i.e. 15-20-30-50 amp service set accordingly.
03B-VAC Dropout 100VAC
03C-Battery Type: AGM2 Custom settings provided by Lifeline would be best.
03D-Absorb Done:100% SOC
03E-Max Charge Rate: 100% this is dependent on battery bank size vs charger size there is math in the instructions to set this, in our case the bank can take the full 125 amps.
03F-Max Charge Time: 18.0 HRS dependent on how long you want your Gen set to run if AGS comes online mine is set to 6 hours.
03G-Final Charge Stage: Multi
03G-EQ reminder: off
04-AGS setup (setup per your needs)

This setup is for gen start to match ac in settings, so 04D is setup for gen run soc of 80% to 95%. This can be lowered for boondocking.

05A Charge Eff: off recommended by magnum and Lifeline is auto especially if you have a BMK it will calculalte the best charge profile.
05B AmpHour Size: 820ah depends on battery bank AH, yours will vary.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have Lifeline and Magnum video says select AGM 1 for Lifeline batteries. Thanks

If AGM1 is what Lifeline recommends, I withdraw my comment re AGM2. Most other battery makers prefer the AGM2 charging algorithm, but always go with what your battery make recommends.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoe44 View Post
You need to call Lifeline or Magnum for the newest settings.

I did the same thing you did then I found out we need custom settings after talking with Magnum.

Ted.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:15 AM   #12

Thanks for all the input. I am going to call Magnum this afternoon.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:39 PM   #13

I called Magnum and they walked me thru what numbers I needed for my Lifeline Batteries. They set it up as custom under battery type. Like it was mentioned previous, I would definitely call and let them walk you thru what each setting should be in relationship to the batteries you are using. Thanks again for all the input.

Tags
batteries, inverter