Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #15

Equipped MH

Hi Larry ,
Listing a few things i get by on
1-Small tool kit , wrenches 1/4" to 1", 3/8" socket set ,water pump pliers, wire strippers , needle nose , hammer , numerous screw drivers , multi meter..........just the basics.
2- Battery booster box , I have one made by CAT , 1000 amp boost , very handy in case battery goes dead on toad or to help someone else.
3-A good quality flashlight.
4- Electric drill and bits.
5-Spare primary and secondary fuel filters and spare oil filter. Also spare fuel filter for gen-set.*** Funnel
6-Gallon jug of oil and a gallon of diesel to prime filters if needed.
7-Spare serpentine belt
8-Assortment of fuses
9-Extension cords , light and heavy for shorepower extension.
10-30 amp dog bone
11-Surge protector
12-Good quality air hose and air gauge
13- 4' extension handle and squeegy

The list goes on

The camping supply list is another world......lots of gear
Happy trails !
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #16

Lots of good information in this thread. Lots of references to other threads too.
I would add there is a big difference between "properly equipped" and just able to get by.
As you can tell by the differing opinions in this thread "properly equipped" is very subjective.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Go to Harbour Freight and buy one of their 130 piece tool kits. Yeah I know CCC (Cheap Chinese Crap). But for $30 or $40 bucks, it's worth it. I bought one when they were on sale for $27, and have used it a lot.The price varies every week. Not high quality tools, but it's not like you are using them every day.
Which reminds me, we used things out of there last month to fix my buddies generator, and it was raining. I better go out and look at the tools in it. It may be just a box full of RUST.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #18
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Larry,

The Progressive Industries EMS delays power to your coach by about 2 minutes after plugging in while it analyses the electrical status. It also reacts immediately to changes in the power and will protect all of the electronics in the RV. It's not only storms, but brown outs that can happen after you have plugged in. I consider it to be akin to antiviral software on your PC. Here is a link

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

As to the water flow restrictor, this thingy --

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40055-B...sure+regulator

I learned a lesson the hard way last winter that this should be installed between the faucet and the hose NOT the hose and the RV. I was at a friend's house in Phoenix that has very high water pressure. The hose exploded when one of the kids turned the faucet on full strength. Here again, cheap insurance when used properly.

You'll never finish buying for your RV and you'll never quit learning about it. Enjoy all the journeys you make in it!
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
What's a 30 amp dog bone?
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:52 AM   #20
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
a power adapter that is long and has plugs on both ends

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55185-P...30+amp+adapter

We use a lot of RV lingo. As a dearly departed friend used to say, "Google is your friend." Just put "RV" before any term and you'll find many answers or products. Amazon.com can help in the same way if it is a product you are looking for.

BTW -- Alawys comparison shop for everything you buy. I saved $95 on a solenoid thanks to a Google search. The identical part made by the same company sold for $15 to $110. I was in a small town at the time. I bet the local RV dealer would have charged even more.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #21
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
At an RV expo I went to a lecture by the guy who owns Camco. The first product he showed us was a stainless steel strainer for the kitchen sink drain -- probably the cheapest item in their product line.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42273-A...+sink+strainer

He said this was THE most valuable thing they sold. It keeps stuff out of your gray water tank that might cause odors, clog up the water level sensors, or interfere with the dump valve causing it to leak.

Another handy cheap buy is this --

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39463-S...s=rv+sewer+cap

If you have some water left from the last dump or a small leak in your sewer valves you can open the small cap and drain off that liquid into the open end of your 3" sewer hose BEFORE you remove the 3" cap. Oh and don't forget rubber gloves that you leave in the sewer bay.

I have also used it to allow my gray water to irrigate a friend's hedges. Many places it is forbidden to allow gray water onto the ground so check before you do this. I only use biodegradable cleaning products so my gray water was a bonus to those plants.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:04 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
Yes. You can even get one that does it without having to actually plug the tester into the outlet. We got ours at Harbor Freight. It stays in the RV along with other useful tools.
I am such an idiot exactly what is the tester thing called? I want to get the right thing when I go to Harbor Freight.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:54 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Lots of great items listed here, I would get avTPMS, I've had 2 Flats on the Toad, and 1 on the motohome that it gave me a warning! It can mean the difference between expensive repairs vs fixing a flat. Regards
Old 10-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Go to RV Basics .com - RV Information for RVers about RVing

Great beginner (and those of us with dementia) site.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Answering the question you are asking is a great part of the RVing hobby. I wouldn't rush into buying anything. I would just start driving and figure it out as you go along. You are smart to learn from the misfortunes of others to try to avoid trouble. Here are two misfortunes you can learn from:

1. Look for the video of the Class A motor home rolling over after a tire blowout. A TMPS can help you manage your tire pressures (although it will not totally prevent blowouts, you can tell if a tire is low on pressure or running hot). A TPMS was one of my first purchases.

2. I had no electrical management system/surge protector. On one of our first trips we stayed at a state park in North Texas with 30 amp hookups. (Probably concidentally) my refrigerator starting acting up exactly the same time as I plugged into the crappy 30A hookup. I put in a Progressive Industries EMS after that and have had no problems since.

That is the limit of my wisdom on the subject as I am still going through the process of figuring out exactly what I need.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:51 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I see these RV starter kits for Camco and others that contain water and sewer hoses, water pressure regulator, some chemical packets, and toilet paper. Should I get one of these or just buy this stuff individually? I would think I could get a little better quality if I bought individually albeit a bit more expensive.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
All this talk about TPMS got me to thinking that I will be needing a good quality tire pressure gauge and possibly a small compressor.

I found these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016R9KKCU...I1R8CDN4I1ZK8O

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CPW5JXS...=I5A51U2S5AB0T

Would they be adequate for a motorhome?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Larry,
the last questions are concerning, you don't own an rv yet, so how do you know if they are okay?

Diesel pushers take a high tire pressure, above 100, the Q about buying a kit or separate. Personally I find kit to be a collection of low quality items.