Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
Larry,
the last questions are concerning, you don't own an rv yet, so how do you know if they are okay?

Diesel pushers take a high tire pressure, above 100, the Q about buying a kit or separate. Personally I find kit to be a collection of low quality items.
Kerry,
Even though I do not own it yet, I have almost certainly narrowed it down to the Winnebago Vista 29VE and even if that is not the one, it most certainly will be a gasser. (I probably didn't mention that) Plus, I really didn't know the bigger coaches would require higher tire pressure. Plus+, I am just compiling a list, not actually purchasing anything until I actually purchase the MH.

You have just verified what I was thinking about the starter kits.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I see these RV starter kits for Camco and others that contain water and sewer hoses, water pressure regulator, some chemical packets, and toilet paper. Should I get one of these or just buy this stuff individually? I would think I could get a little better quality if I bought individually albeit a bit more expensive.
No way in h@@ would I use RV toilet paper. I had some and it was one ply. Do a search on each item. Buy good quality items. When something like a sewer hose fails its never pretty.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
No way in h@@ would I use RV toilet paper. I had some and it was one ply. Do a search on each item. Buy good quality items. When something like a sewer hose fails its never pretty.
So you just use regular TP? Like Charmin?
Old 10-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Besides the white or blue fresh water hose, do I need another hose to perform flushing operations? I thought I read that somewhere.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #33
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I see these RV starter kits for Camco and others that contain water and sewer hoses, water pressure regulator, some chemical packets, and toilet paper. Should I get one of these or just buy this stuff individually? I would think I could get a little better quality if I bought individually albeit a bit more expensive.
Go cheap! Then figure out what you will really use and then upgrade those as time goes on. I don't use septic chemicals or that worthless overpriced TP. Everything else except the pressure regulator I have upgraded or added more of in the last 5 1/2 years.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #34
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Besides the white or blue fresh water hose, do I need another hose to perform flushing operations? I thought I read that somewhere.
Absolutely! I am very protective of my drinking water hose. No dragging the ends thru the grass.

I keep a 25' garden hose in the sewer bay, because that's what I had. A shorter one would work. I use a sewer cap that has a garden hose fitting on it for 2 reasons -- to hook up the hose when I want to release just the gray water and that can be opened above the 3" sewer hose connection just in case there has been a some seepage. It's easy to open the small cap and allow what may be inside drain into the open end of the 3" sewer hose.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:52 PM   #35

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
Larry,
Diesel pushers take a high tire pressure, above 100, the Q about buying a kit or separate. Personally I find kit to be a collection of low quality items.
Not necessarily, my very heavy rig (50,000#'s loaded) takes 80 in the tag, 85 in the drive and 110 in the front tires. So only two of my eight need over 100. Those pressures are 5psi over what is called for by the charts except the tag which is at the minimum required even fully loaded. But it does take a hefty compressor as the tires are huge compared to most, same size as a Prevost or Newell in fact.
And yes, those items in a starter kit are low quality! Probably want to consider replacing them sooner than later. In fact I'd probably set them aside for emergency use and buy better quality.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #36

Quote:
So you just use regular TP? Like Charmin?
Don't buy RV paper. We always bought the Costco Kirkland brand but there are many others to choose from. Just make sure it says 'septic safe' and it was dissolve easily.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:45 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Don't buy RV paper. We always bought the Costco Kirkland brand but there are many others to choose from. Just make sure it says 'septic safe' and it was dissolve easily.
This may be the best tip yet
Old 10-28-2016, 11:26 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
So very true, the best trick is use lots, lots of water when flushing the toilet.