Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2016, 06:44 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Properly equipped MH???

I am trying to determine exactly what essential upgrades and additions I will need to make to my new RV purchase. For instance, should I add a surge protector? Water Filter? TPMS? Water hoses? Dumping hoses? What should go in the tool kit? Other stuff I haven't even thought of?
I have googled this and every list I have found so far is from some manufacturer or retailer, whose goal is to sell me something.
Maybe you could direct me to an unbiased list or post a good one here.

Thank you so much!
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 06:58 PM   #2

Hello and welcome. Of course you will need a water hose and a sewer hose. Both are inexpensive and available at Walmart or any RV store. The surge protector, water filter, and TPMS are a preference. I RV'ed for almost 20 years without ANY of those three and never suffered any ill effects. I have all three now my RV enjoyment hasn't changes one iota.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:05 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Hello and welcome. Of course you will need a water hose and a sewer hose. Both are inexpensive and available at Walmart or any RV store. The surge protector, water filter, and TPMS are a preference. I RV'ed for almost 20 years without ANY of those three and never suffered any ill effects. I have all three now my RV enjoyment hasn't changes one iota.
X2 and I only carry a small tool box for minor repairs and some fuses and light bulbs which I will probably never use since all of my interior lights are LEDs. Anything major is going in the shop or towed home to work on.
Mel
Old 10-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We consider our surge protector and TPMS to be essential pieces of equipment. The TPMS especially gives great peace of mind. We were setting out one day and it started alarming low on one tire. We quickly stopped and had it checked and filled to proper level. Discovered the valve had not been properly tightened when we had the tires checked two weeks earlier while on the road.

DH says while these are devices you could certainly live without, why would you want to? Minimizing what can be very expensive repairs on a very expensive machine is worth a few hundred extra dollars' expense at the front end.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are several existing good threads here regarding tools and spares. The search feature will reveal them.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The first upgrade I purchased was a Progressive Industries EMS, also referred to as a surge protector. I had read about electrical disasters here and considered it cheap insurance. I bought the hardwired type. It was easy to cut the power cord and install the EMS. No worry about it walking away from inside the power bay. Also I added a plug on the incoming side so I could unplug the heavy cord for easier management. Otherwise I would be threading 25' of cord thru a 4" hole whenever I hooked up.

The second purchase was a cheap RV starter kit. It contained the basics -- water hose, sewer hose, water flow restrictor (simple pressure regulator) RV toilet paper, 30/20 amp electrical adapter, etc. I bought cheap knowing that I would probably replace most of them eventually. And I have as I have continued to learn from the good folks here on IRV2.

Keep reading and ask lots of questions. I started with zero experience. I am indebted to those who helped me learn from them and sometimes from their mistakes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Is there some sort of electric power tester that can tell you if the power is good before plugging in?
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I RV'd without a surge protector or EMS from 1957 till 2015 and never had a problem nor lost any equipment due to low or high voltage.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:43 PM   #9

If you have a 50 amp RV a 30 to 50 amp dog bone adapter comes in handy in some to the older parks.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:08 PM   #10

Properly equipped MH???

I don't like to play the odds with an expensive Motorhome. I have a Progressive surge protector installed, I buy the good sewer and water hoses not the cheapest ones, I have a TPMS system with 12 sensors to cover the trailer if I am towing it or my toad, I have a VMSPC system to monitor the engine because it costs a lot of money if it fails. I carry a bunch of tools with me in case it breaks down, I carry spare fuel filters with me, I change my oil all 9 gallons once a year just because and I always have it tested. All of this cost me money but it gives me peace of mind when I am traveling. Oh, I bought extended warranty when I purchased the Motorhome because I didn't know the history of it and I didn't want to take a chance.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #11

Mr D, I am glad you have beat the odds. I had my Motorhome in Tucson last year during their monsoon season and the gentleman 2 down from me was telling me that like you he didn't have a surge protector and has never needed one. A couple of days later a bad storm came through and he along with a bunch of others in the park without protection lost air conditioners, microwaves, tv's, etc. I was lucky but maybe because I was prepared and didn't lose anything. I hope you can continue your lucky streak, but for me I believe in the Boy Scout oath of "being prepared".
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
LarryJB,
I have compiled many lists based upon past posts on the various irv2 forums. I kept putting them into a single doc. and over time a few patterns became obvious. They center around how you intend on using the RV, trips and a few extended stays or are you full timing in the RV. Snow birding? or boondocking?

Secondly, are (can) you going to repair the rv yourself or hire? Do you do your own maintenance on current house and car? If you have engine issues, replacing fuel filters, belts, adding coolant, oil, other fluids okay?

Then there are the insurance items, water filters - regulators, cleaning supplies - biodiesel, rv-awnings-top-windows, power protection... How well do you trust the facilities that are being consumed by rv or yourself? Adapters?

There are the camp site creature comforts, fire, grill, chairs, rug, heaters, propane for grills,

tools, hand tools, power tools, electrical repair tools, trouble shooting tools (wire chasers), adhesives,

Toys, do you plan on fishing, hunting, boating,

finally, there is a very lively discussion on the right equipment for internet, tv/ sat and forward / rear end camera's that can record. Also used as security system. So cabling and the ability to adapt seem to be key in this area. (meaning pack extra stuff)...

hope this helps answer your very open question.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:57 PM   #13

These lists might help:

RV Travel Checklists -
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:40 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Is there some sort of electric power tester that can tell you if the power is good before plugging in?
Yes. You can even get one that does it without having to actually plug the tester into the outlet. We got ours at Harbor Freight. It stays in the RV along with other useful tools.

x2 on the 50 to 30 amp adapter if you have a 50 amp rig. We had a 30 to 50 when we had our Class C, which was only 30 amps. Never actually used either one, but like a previous poster said, we do like being prepared.

Another useful gadget is a water pressure restrictor that goes between their water source and your intake hose. Some areas have much higher water pressure than the plumbing connections in your coach may like... You can buy them pre-set or adjustable.