Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #57

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
In Oklahoma you pay an excise tax of. approximately 4.5 % which is Tax deductible and the tag for my 2018 was less than $100. No further tax on MH other than yearly tag
Not tax deductible unless you hit that wonderful $24,000 standard deduction.
Most don't even come close!!
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #58

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodwrench View Post
One of the biggest reasons I turned down a Federal promotion to a job in VA was the dreaded personal property tax on my Class A coach. Between my two new cars and coach, that tax was going to be almost $5,500/year (EVERY freakin’ year), plus state income tax was outrageous. That $15K/year raise for the supervisorial position would have disappeared, and we would have had to contend with the archaic laws and predatory law enforcement. Can’t beat FL!!!
Welcome to TEXAS!!! Business friendly and they are moving here by the herds!!!
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:48 AM   #59

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flarpswitch View Post
Here in Oregon it is just a DMV thing, but if the Taxaholics in Salem get their way, I am sure they will figure out an new fee to enhance revenue. I don't doubt that they are looking at this now as they just passed a new fee for basically jumping in the lake with anything larger than a rubber ducky. We recently bought a new house and in round numbers doubled our equity in real property. Same size lot, but the house is twice a big. A McMansion if you will. I think my yearly property taxes will double based on my research. Am I getting twice as much service from the county and the city? Like any property tax, it is based on value of owned assets and not your ability to pay. A regressive tax. If you are a retired person and choose to full-time in an RV, better domicile in a state that has a fair tax system.
Yes indeed on the never ending Gov quest to raise taxes in Oregon (and else where)..
Our Home in Salem is now on the market,

DW retires end of July..
So.. We head to Box Elder/Rapid City SD Friday night (6/21/19) to Establish "State Residency of Record" next week.. including licenses/plates/insurance yada yada yada....
(Will be using the Escapee's program for mail and such)

Taxes and supplemental health insurance's are the biggie's when you will be on a "fixed income".

Nearly everywhere we plan to travel has a sales tax, BUT.. Oregon does not allow one to deduct that out of state sales tax off of Oregon's Income tax (in our case it is 9%).
Your results may vary ........
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #60

Evergreen Owners Club
I know this will piss off a lot of people but if you can't afford the taxes on that expensive MH then you sure as hell had no business buying it in the first place. Quit your bitchin'.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
I know this will piss off a lot of people but if you can't afford the taxes on that expensive MH then you sure as hell had no business buying it in the first place. Quit your bitchin'.

My sentiments, too. Not popular here, however.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I don't disagree with what you say, however is it "bitchen" for a person to want to control where their money goes and how they spend it. We all have limited funds and I would prefer to spend my money that I have earned, and by the way have already paid taxes on, for my chooses rather than on taxes. I pay my taxes and appreciate that I am blessed but would rather use the money on me rather than someone else deciding where it goes. After all we all work with the hope of retiring and enjoying what we were fortunate to save.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:39 PM   #63

No taxes

I like your answer.
vikingboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #64

Taxes

I pay tons of taxes already. I dont pay additional taxes on anything they dont track me down and squeeze out of my pocket
vikingboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:56 PM   #65
NXR

Quote:
That may depend on whether the issue is the initial set of taxes or because someone had to move to a high-tax state with a personal property tax due to a job or family.

6.75% sales tax here with $50 license plates for a motorhome and a whole lot more in VA where our kids live. Hmmm,maybe they moved there to keep us from moving too close.

And our lovely governor just added a registration surcharge on annual plates of $100 for hybrids and $200 for plug-ins. So my little old hybrid car will cost me about triple each year what my brand spankin' new motorhome does.

As an aside, I'd been rationalizing that the 44 MPG on the hybrid + the 6 MPG on the motorhome averages to 25 MPG.

Ray
Old 06-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
That may depend on whether the issue is the initial set of taxes or because someone had to move to a high-tax state with a personal property tax due to a job or family.

6.75% sales tax here with $50 license plates for a motorhome and a whole lot more in VA where our kids live. Hmmm,maybe they moved there to keep us from moving too close.

And our lovely governor just added a registration surcharge on annual plates of $100 for hybrids and $200 for plug-ins. So my little old hybrid car will cost me about triple each year what my brand spankin' new motorhome does.

As an aside, I'd been rationalizing that the 44 MPG on the hybrid + the 6 MPG on the motorhome averages to 25 MPG.

Ray
They are pushing for that one here too. It's just too much fun to sit here and watch all of these hoops and gyrations to avoid paying taxes. I can also see interstate compacts for the seizure of vehicles for tax avoidance. I have a sneaky suspicion that we will actually be buying a piece of property in a less tax burdensome state. One of the things to look at is state taxes on federal retirement payments.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #67

Yes, create a residence in a state that has no property tax. Florida works for me, I stayed there 3 months over the winter and established a residence. I understand Wyoming and/or maybe Montana would also allow you to establish a residence but you'd have to actually visit the state to change over. Check out MYRMAIL as a possible way to establish a Florida residence. I come from Maine, proudly! But I cannot justify the ridiculous annual excise tax they charge for me to retain my Maine residence when I likely won't even visit the state this year. When people see Maine tags on your car the picture comes to mind that perhaps I've done a bit of travelling, when they see Florida, oh well, ho-hum, nothing to see here. Alas, I'm Florida now.
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #68

There is so much blatantly bad information in this thread that one would have to be an idiot to take any of it seriously.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:57 PM   #69

In New York "property" tax is real property tax not vehicles, you have to own land as an individual to get a tax bill. (Not talking about co-ops or a condo or townhouse the property tax is usually included as part of your common charges).

Never heard of property taxes being collected on a vehicle or boat just on land you own with or without a structure.

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:54 AM   #70

There are two types of property tax. Most common is a tax on real property (real estate). The other is personal property tax, which is a tax on owned items other than real estate.

Wisconsin has both, but personal property currently is only taxed if the property is owned by a business, and there is a huge exemption for property used in manufacturing (and a few other industries). Individuals in Wisconsin don't pay tax on personal property.

Some states still collect a personal property tax on individuals, and the most common way they do this is with vehicles, boats, etc. Things which require registration, since it's much easier to tax property you already have in a database somewhere.

Here's a chart I found online showing the comparison of vehicle property tax state-by-state (scroll down on the page to see the vehicle tax chart):

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...y-taxes/11585/
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote