Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My first MH had one, my current one doesn't.

I want it back. I miss the driver's door. The comfort of knowing I had an alternate means of ingress/egress was nice, but I used it a lot. From getting fuel to parking at the campground, I was always using that door. It also came in very handy when working under the dash, such as installing a trailer brake controller. It was a royal PITA trying to be a contortionist to install the brake controller in the current rig. Would have been a crap-ton easier if I could have worked on it while standing on the outside looking up under the dash.

My next rig will have a driver's door again, if at all feasible.
Shadow520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I liked the driver side door on my Adventurer because I could use it to get out for fuel and it also gave me fairly quick access to my HWH level controls. I could manually lower the jacks and center my pads easily by myself without running in and out of the coach before letting the auto leveler do its thing. In one case it made my life easier because some dummy parked so close to my MH I couldn't get my mid-entry door open.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
My coach has a side drivers door and I love it. Use it quiet often. I have no wind noise. Wouldn't be without one if at all possible!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #18

If you are the athletic type and like wind noise, you will love it.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
As a service person, I loved the drivers door. gaining access to the chassis fuse panel without one is a real problem. It is so much easier to stand outside and check fuses with a drivers door.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I liked the driver side door on my Adventurer because I could use it to get out for fuel and it also gave me fairly quick access to my HWH level controls. I could manually lower the jacks and center my pads easily by myself without running in and out of the coach before letting the auto leveler do its thing. In one case it made my life easier because some dummy parked so close to my MH I couldn't get my mid-entry door open.
Don, I too like the ability to use the HWH controls from the open door. I can watch the jacks and very easily check the blocks for alignment. I also like the easy access to the fuse and breaker panel. I sure would miss that door and I think it would be a must have for me if I was purchasing another class A. I do not get any wind noise from mine. I feel there are more pros than cons
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I think it would be nice to have one. I agree with the others who say another entrance/exit point is a good thing. I don't know why they don't make Class A's with BACK DOORS like a lot of travel trailers...if only to be used for emergency exit.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't come and go from the drivers door on our coach. Too old and un-nimble to do so. Do like it for secondary entrance should the main entry door become inoperative, as unlikely as this probably is. Like the roll down window in it - this is a biggie. Do use it to gain access to fuses and ODBII connector - open the door from the outside and you can stand there and very readily see and reach all under the dash and steering column area.

I would not not buy a coach for not having a drivers door but it is a plus.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
Our MH has a drivers door which I use often. We travel with dogs so it make egress a lot easier than fighting with the pack as the try to get out as soon as the main door opens when stopping for fuel or a refreshment stop.

Martin
X2 !!!!!!!!!!! I love ours !! Wouldn't be without it !
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Depending on the coach, I would think wind noise could be an issue.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #25

There is no noticable wind noise on ours,,, but I'm sure there could be if the door didn't seal properly...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #26

We've have the drivers door on our past motorhome and also on our current one. In fact it was one item we looked for. It makes life easier when stopping fo fuel, trying to reach down for the access card reader at campground and some service work. I also like the fact that when I take it in for service the technician doesn't have to walk through half the coach just to move it from place to place.

We never had any wind noise or seal problems on the first one and I don't expect any on this one.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Mike, I can see why a drivers door would be important to you not only because of a possible "lock out" (which is very unlikely) but because your used to one with your current Class C. I was in your shoes when we were looking, but what became more important was the livability of the coach. I would look at all coach's with a drivers side door and see if any of them give you the floor plan that you like. But, I would not buy a coach and accept a less than satisfied floor plan just because it has a drivers side door. BTW, we ended up with a coach W/O the drivers side door and we have been thrilled with it.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use our driver door always when getting gas.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, driver