Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2018, 02:14 PM   #1

Protecting exterior from lawn sprinklers water spots

I live in the high desert area of Lancaster, CA. I keep my 2000 Alpine Coach 36FDS washed and waxed in my RV parking part of my property. What idea or product, e.g. removable fence can I use to keep the exterior safe from lawn sprinkler water spotting. Put in new sod in January and now lawn is suffering because I turned off auto timer. Often windy so even sprinklers with streams of water can blow away getting on surface. My Alcoa s will suffer too. I will put a cover on it part of the year. Lawn is only inches from RV. Tried Googling and You tube this issue. What do you fine folks suggest?
Thanks, Mark
Mitimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
Community Moderator

deflect the spray at the sprinkler.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitimet View Post
I live in the high desert area of Lancaster, CA. I keep my 2000 Alpine Coach 36FDS washed and waxed in my RV parking part of my property. What idea or product, e.g. removable fence can I use to keep the exterior safe from lawn sprinkler water spotting. Put in new sod in January and now lawn is suffering because I turned off auto timer. Often windy so even sprinklers with streams of water can blow away getting on surface. My Alcoa s will suffer too. I will put a cover on it part of the year. Lawn is only inches from RV. Tried Googling and You tube this issue. What do you fine folks suggest?
Thanks, Mark
That's often difficult, especially on windy days. Rain Bird, Toro, Hunter and other mfg's of sprinkler heads make some that are more of a rotating stream instead of a spray. They work a little better, but the wind is your enemy. I would go to a irrigation supply store (not sure what's in your area, we have Simplot and HighTech Irrigation) instead of Lowes/HomeDepot to get them.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:32 PM   #4

What about using a soaker hose instead of the sprinkler system in the area near where you park your Alpine.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #5

Sprinkler guards should help and of course setting your sprinklers for pre-dawn hours when there is typically less wind.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Impact-S...3161/100135657

Other than that, a tarp on the side of your coach is probably your best bet.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:53 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"What do you fine folks suggest?"

I suggest you plant rocks. Nothing else will work. Been there, done that.

I don't care what time you water you are still occasionally going to get wind, especially in the high desert, at night.

If you built a fence along side the RV it would help.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitimet View Post
I live in the high desert area of Lancaster, CA..... Put in new sod in January....
OMG!
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:03 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Mark,
A couple of things that help me. I live near ABQ at about 5500', very dry (what is this humidity thing folks talk of?), constant "breeze" and expensive water. I have gone to gear drive sprinkler heads to avoid over spray and water in the late evening. Our winds usually die down a couple of hours after sunset and don't start up until mid-morning. I choose evening due to better water pressure as opposed to mornings and it gives the grass some time to recover before the heat of the day. I do have rocks planted around most of the property, but a patch of grass helps keep the heat down around the patio and provides a nice break from the classic southwest rock/cactus landscape look.
If your water is as hard as ours, water spots are a constant battle. The best way to get them off is to not let the water dry on anything you care about - cars, motor homes, sun room windows, bbq grills, patio furniture, etc., cover 'em or put 'em where they can't get wet.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a similar issue and adding plants and other things to deflect the water probably won't work with winds. I use a product called "Hot Sauce". I've been using it on my boat for years and tried it on the MH. Awesome! Spray on and wipe off, with very little effort. Stubborn water spots gone and a nice shine is left? Not as good as not having water spots at all, but a good solution for me. Good luck!
chinobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #10

How high does the water go? Would it be possible to install a physical barrier of some type such as a low retaining wall? Probably wouldn't be feasible to plant a row of some type of narrow upright shrub to intercept the overspray.

You can install chain link fence and weave plastic through it like they do around ball fields but imo that is butt ugly.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water