Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2023, 11:36 PM   #1

PSA on brake lines on older rigs

Greetings to all!
Actually a followup to a thread that I can no longer post to, but I can't ignore this without warning my fellow RVers with older rigs (15-20 years old).
In 2021, I was moving my rig (2004 Kountry Star) a short distance and my brake pedal went to the floor, and I found fluid leaking from a rear caliper. Feared the usual - overly worn pads, now a bad caliper and rotor, etc.
In short, (and credit to n2zon & bluemoontwd), it was a simpler, but very dangerous situation! Here is a clip of my response to the thread:

Our dang brake hose between the hard line and caliper collapsed internally, and would only open up a little under the extreme pressure of the master cylinder, but would NOT allow return flow!
It looked totally normal on the outside for an older hose - no excessive cracking, etc.
I'm very surprised that I didn't feel any dragging or lag, as I'm pretty sensitive to my vehicle, but ugh...
The caliper pistons came out in charred pieces, and the caliper itself was terribly discolored. The pads? Take a look at the pictures😖
This is a very dangerous condition for older units - I'm not sure why ours didn't start a fire in the wheel well from the extreme heat. Needless to say, I changed all four lines (along with the other parts from THIS wheel), and would recommend the same to owners of rigs that are 15-20 years of age. A pretty inexpensive PM item compared to your rig catching fire on the road from overheated brakes!
Please spread the word on the potential for collapsed brake lines - a true invisible danger with horrible potential consequences!
All the best!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220604_170655.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	394700   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220604_170701.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	394701  

GeoffnJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2023, 11:44 PM   #2

And thanks to Edgray for his help at the time as well - I checked into the 2010 caliper recalls, and in fact the prior owner had them addressed before we bought the rig. Hope all is well with you!
Old 06-07-2023, 05:51 AM   #3

yes-- I've had that happen on older vehicles..... I also had a steel brake line rust thru, but it was as I was leaving my driveway, so no bad consequences.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 06:40 AM   #4

In every vehicle I drive I always test out neutral at least once a day. If I am in a parking lot I will put it in neutral and let it roll a few feet before putting it in drive. I like to know that my vehicle rolls easily and doesn't have a brake dragging.
Old 06-07-2023, 06:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
yes-- I've had that happen on older vehicles..... I also had a steel brake line rust thru, but it was as I was leaving my driveway, so no bad consequences.
I had that problem of a flaking brake line on a Suburban years ago. Right front wheel froze up on a trip. I removed that line from that wheel and plugged it to make it home.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:58 AM   #6

I had much the same thing happen on my coach the first time it was driven more than about 15-20 miles after the pandemic. (we did not go far in 2020 between covid, and hurricane Laura going over our house)
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 06:47 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You don't say what chassis you have, but around 2004 Workhorse had several years of issues with Bosch brakes. Collapsing hoses were one of the issues, along with calipers.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You don't say what chassis you have, but around 2004 Workhorse had several years of issues with Bosch brakes. Collapsing hoses were one of the issues, along with calipers.
I have the W22 chassis. The caliper recall was done along with new pads 2-3 years or so prior by the prior owner, but they never addressed the hoses apparently. I sure learned a lesson. Just don't want others to be blind to otherwise decent- looking hoses, and either spending bucko-bucks replacing unnecessary parts or in a much worse situation🥺
Old 06-09-2023, 08:37 AM   #9

It's a common enough problem that there is a term for it: "check-valving". When the internal rubber of the hose degrades in some fashion to cause it to act like a check valve. Tips to help avoid it are to take care to not kink the hose when doing brake service or to let the weight of a caliper hang by the hose. Also you should NOT clamp off a brake hose with vice grips or some such when changing calipers of something. Let the brake fluid run out or cap the end of the line. I've seen "pro" mechanics do all of the above at one point or another, never mind DIY folks.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake