Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2019, 08:11 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
The OP has a diesel car so the amount of fuel he needs to transfer (unlike my 100 gallon tank in my PU with a 12V pump) is so small I would use a drill driven pump with plastic lines. Since it’s diesel, not gas, why make this more complicated than necessary for what??? 5 times/year...MAYBE.
For $20 you can buy one rated for fuel plus 2 old water hose ends...D for done.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #16

My pickup truck has a 100 gal aux fuel tank in the bed with a 12V pump mounted under the frame rails to transfer fuel and a switch on the dash. When the pump went bad, I bought a replacement from the local auto parts store while on a trip and swapped it out in a parking lot.
When I upgraded the truck "Dually Depot" shipped me a new fuel fill tube with a welded nipple to hook the fuel transfer line to. Give them a call, they should be able to help you.
https://www.theduallydepot.com/auxiliary-fuel-tanks1
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #17

What about a length of plastic hose and the old fashion siphon method? A mouth full of gas or diesel never hurt anyone. All these methods using an electric drill or pump just add an increased danger factor and more things to set up and take down.

I would not consider a metal gas can on the ground with a plastic tube for pumping a good ground. I dont see any ground there at all. JMHO
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:50 AM   #18

I'd imagine the OP is towing his diesel vehicle behind the RV. So he already has a grounding method. Just needs to drop the safety cables onto the ground when doing the fuel transfer.

I'd just try using a $10 hand pump with plastic tubing first to see if that would suit the situation. If not, I'd next go to the hand crank type for $155. I'd not bother with electric drills or pumps as that's just another system to mess with, with a potential for an accident. Slight potential with diesel, but still, I'd want to minimize that.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
The OP has a diesel car so the amount of fuel he needs to transfer (unlike my 100 gallon tank in my PU with a 12V pump) is so small I would use a drill driven pump with plastic lines. Since it’s diesel, not gas, why make this more complicated than necessary for what??? 5 times/year...MAYBE.
For $20 you can buy one rated for fuel plus 2 old water hose ends...D for done.
You are correct, my Toad is a diesel car. I think I am going to follow your advice and try not to over-complicate things. After reading the posts here I am definitely going to use some kind of grounding system.
Davide33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:35 PM   #20

Your “grounding system” can be nothing more than a piece of wire with alligator clips on both ends. Clip one end to ground on the coach (chassis battery negative post or somewhere on the frame) and clip the other end to the battery negative or the frame of the toad.
DONE.
This is how aircraft fuel trucks prevent static electricity from causing a problem when fueling aircraft from a truck.
You do not need heavy gauge wire for this because there will not be any current flow. 12, 14 or even 16 gauge wire is fine.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
Your “grounding system” can be nothing more than a piece of wire with alligator clips on both ends. Clip one end to ground on the coach (chassis battery negative post or somewhere on the frame) and clip the other end to the battery negative or the frame of the toad.
DONE.
This is how aircraft fuel trucks prevent static electricity from causing a problem when fueling aircraft from a truck.
You do not need heavy gauge wire for this because there will not be any current flow. 12, 14 or even 16 gauge wire is fine.
They also ground the fuel truck to the ground.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
What about a length of plastic hose and the old fashion siphon method? A mouth full of gas or diesel never hurt anyone.

I think I have to call Donald on that one.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Maybe at a major airport but in 50 years I’ve never seen that other than the static strap that the truck drags across the ground. Bid difference between a spark in gas fumes and one in diesel fumes.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Maybe at a major airport but in 50 years I’ve never seen that other than the static strap that the truck drags across the ground. Bid difference between a spark in gas fumes and one in diesel fumes.

Exactly. Diesel fuel has no explosion risk.
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
In 35 years of flying both piston and turbine aircraft (using gasoline and jet fuel) I have never seen this done. It isn't necessary. At busy general aviation airports, the fuel trucks (both gasoline and jet fuel trucks) drive all over the ramp to fuel aircraft. The only electrical connections made are between the trucks and the aircraft being fueled.

You are trying to prevent a static charge buildup between the two vehicles, not between the vehicles and ground. By connecting the ground side of the two vehicles together as I described in my previous post, you will prevent the buildup of a static charge between the vehicles.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel