Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #127

Anyone driven their motorhome in to a weigh station claiming their state classifies it as a "commercial" vehicle? I have seen tags on some motorhomes from other states that have a "motorhome" sticker on them. Mine has exactly the same style plate as my car. My DMV told me I couldn't take a CDL test in my motorhome, I would have to borrow a truck.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
I did not mean for it to be a"Snide" comment, the last time I checked the states requiring a special license for an RV , over 26, 000lbs, it was quiet a few, l might add that I have driven almost every type of truck, tractor combination on the road, that is why I chose to get the class B, cost about 20 bucks, and maybe 2hrs of my time, and a non commercial usually does not require a medical. I want to add, if you think you know air brakes, go take the test. Really I could care less what, if any license you have, unless we happen to collide. Happy travels

I checked today and Tennessee does not require a class B or any other license besides a regular drivers. I have always obeyed the law and this would not have been a question if the salesman hadn't told me I did not need any additional licenseing. Lazydays sells to people from every state and I am sure my salesman would have checked the law in my state....
So anyone reading this from Tennessee no special liecense is required....
lakedweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
To the OP, sorry about posting on other than TX DL's.

For the person for TN, yes you do need a special class of license depending on information contained in the TN laws. took me less than 30 seconds to find it.

TN Licenses

This publication does not say anything about motorhomes. And I asked about 40' motorhomes over 26,000 lbs and with air brakes, she told me NO. So you see not everything is on the internet. I always hoped this web site was to help fellow RVers. All I did was ask a simple question and people and I can see all it is is people that think they know everything and are not afraid to pile on when someons asks a question.

I should have been told at the time I registered my motorhome that I need an upgraded licence. They did not so the reason must have been that "I DO NOT".
Old 08-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Why do you assume that everyone else should do your leg work for you. If YOU want to know about Tennessee because you live there, then YOU need to do the research and find out what is required for your state.

Barb

Sorry I tried to use this web site to answer a simple question that could have been answered by a Tennessee resident. It is hard to get information on Saturday night. I did do the dreaded leg work today and did get the question answered......

Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #131
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedweller View Post
This publication does not say anything about motorhomes. And I asked about 40' motorhomes over 26,000 lbs and with air brakes, she told me NO. So you see not everything is on the internet. I always hoped this web site was to help fellow RVers. All I did was ask a simple question and people and I can see all it is is people that think they know everything and are not afraid to pile on when someons asks a question.

I should have been told at the time I registered my motorhome that I need an upgraded licence. They did not so the reason must have been that "I DO NOT".
Although my first paragraph was an apology since I'm not in TN, the end results was to help you by providing a link to the TN information. I'm sorry that most of the States do not make the transition very clear.

It's very unfortunate that we cannot see the smile on a face when the word is type written. I should end everything with a .

Happy trails.

Editied: Here, again, is a link that should help all. State License Requirements
That link also took very little time to find and I wish I had looked for it the first time.

Don't give up on us, there are still lots of members that are willing to help.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #132

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lakedweller - glad you got to the bottom of it. Like others, I do not know how things work in TN. I do however have my doubts about two points you made.

1) that LazyDays or any other salesman anywhere, is going to know the license requirements for any state is taking a lot for granted. Beyond that, that they tell the truth 100% of the time is also questionable at best.

2) again - not knowing how things work I'm TN it is possible that your registration is handled through the department of motor vehicles Or the agency responsible for issuing drivers licenses, and not say the county tax assessor. If you do register and receive plates from a DL issuing office, then they might know. But we've seen by this thread and others that it isn't always the case that even they know for sure. If your registration / plates were paid for and issued at a tax office they may well have no idea at all. It's not their field.

Bottom line - you did right to ask here - and to chase it to ground on your own. I hope you don't let this thread put you "off" on iRV2. Every state is different where licensing is concerned. But -- RVs are pretty similar and there is a lot of experience here to be learned from, which includes yours. Have a cool beverage, relax and enjoy the journey. No sense letting people in Internet land raise you BP. Doctor says that's not good and I believe him.
Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #133

I know Most people want to help and need help from time to time themselves. I hate the felling that I have somehow asked a stupid question. I know a lot, but not everything. I have joined many forums for some comrodery and information. When someone makes me feel like I asked a stupid question I get hot.... I will still use this forum but I expect mutual respect as anyone else on this forum would expect. I know I do not have 1000's of posts and have not, I guess "proven myself", but I to need help from time to time.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #134

Check with your local dmv. I live in NYC and you don't need anything bu t a regular license unless your mh is over 36, 000lbs. I doubt that butvcheck to be on the safe side.
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #135

Make that 26, 000. Big fingers!
Old 08-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #136

In NY a standard license is a class D. Good fpr any mh under 26, 000.lbs.I just checked the specs on the Georgie boy
Old 08-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #137

Georgie boy Pursuit specs say the gvwr is 19, 000lbs. So fully loaded it will always be under 26, 000lbs unless I park a truck in the living room.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #138

Calif. - Class C good for any motorhome 40 feet and less, no GVWR restriction (26,000 lbs. applies to vehicles other than motor homes). Over 40 feet requires a Class B. Towing with a motor home is okay up to a 10,000 lb. GVWR trailer. If you tow in excess of 10,000 pounds you need a Class A.
Dmaxfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #139

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am in Tennessee and all that is required is a regular drivers license. The license plates (tags) are the same as a regular vehicle also.

Where TN gets you is sales tax on the motor home! You feel like you have bought a toad to go along with it! No income tax though!

burfurd
Old 08-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #140

Thor Owners Club
Here in Alberta it is pretty easy. I just have my regular Class 5 drivers licence and that is all I need unless I upgrade to a tag axle or air brakes

>>>
Class 5 Licence

Permits an operator to drive:

A two axle single motor vehicle, excluding a motorcycle
A two axle motor vehicle towing a trailer with one or more axles, if the trailer is not equipped with airbrakes
A recreational vehicle or any combination of a recreational vehicle and a trailer, if the trailer has not more than two axles and is not equipped with airbrakes
A moped
Class 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 type vehicles, for learning only
No holder of a Class 5 operator's licence shall operate a motor vehicle:

That has a seating capacity of more than 15, while that vehicle is transporting any person in addition to the operator
To transport passengers for hire
The minimum learning age is 14.

The minimum licensing age is 16.

Requirements: road test.

Vehicle for road test: any two axle motor vehicle excluding a motorcycle.

Tags
purchase