Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #113

Lakedweller

I suspect that you are one of the minority. When I purchased my first RV 7 years ago, I had not driven anything bigger than a minivan - plus I learned to drive on the other side of the road!

I got a 10 minute intro by the salesman and then I was on my own. Let's just say that the drive back through Phoenix rush hour traffic was 'interesting'!

Of course over the next 7 years I got some training and a lot of experience.

Given the miniscule cost of a driving license, I don't imagine that any State sees them as being 'cash cows'.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #114

Price is not a problem, I just need to know if Tenn requires a B license. If I don't need one I won't get one.

Even thou I have driven a lot of combinatiions I still took the drivers training course Lazydays offered. Learned a few tricks, never driven a bus before and the course was valuable.....
lakedweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:59 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedweller View Post
I love the people that think that everyone that buys a motorhome has only driven cars before and this is beyond their capabilities. I have driven tractor trailers in the Army, I have also hauled numerious trailers up to a 36' 5er with a 5x8 trailer behind it behind my F350's. I believe I can handle a motorhome just fine and pass any test they can throw at me. I asked all the questions at the time of purchase, I bought mine in Florida and was told by my salesman there was no special license required. I was not told by the DMV here in Tennessee I needed a special licence when I registered the motorhome. This is the first I have heard of a special license. I was hoping someone on this site knew wether Tenn required one. I guuss not just people that make snide coments about my driving abilities, I will check on Monday. The state of Tenn does not even require a brake actuator for your toad. I researched the break actuator and found even if your state does not require one you must have one in all of the states that do.

Mel

The snide comment does not apply to you ...... Thanks
I did not mean for it to be a"Snide" comment, the last time I checked the states requiring a special license for an RV , over 26, 000lbs, it was quiet a few, l might add that I have driven almost every type of truck, tractor combination on the road, that is why I chose to get the class B, cost about 20 bucks, and maybe 2hrs of my time, and a non commercial usually does not require a medical. I want to add, if you think you know air brakes, go take the test. Really I could care less what, if any license you have, unless we happen to collide. Happy travels
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #116

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedweller View Post
Price is not a problem, I just need to know if Tenn requires a B license. If I don't need one I won't get one.

Even thou I have driven a lot of combinatiions I still took the drivers training course Lazydays offered. Learned a few tricks, never driven a bus before and the course was valuable.....
Why do you assume that everyone else should do your leg work for you. If YOU want to know about Tennessee because you live there, then YOU need to do the research and find out what is required for your state.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post

I did not mean for it to be a"Snide" comment, the last time I checked the states requiring a special license for an RV , over 26, 000lbs, it was quiet a few, l might add that I have driven almost every type of truck, tractor combination on the road, that is why I chose to get the class B, cost about 20 bucks, and maybe 2hrs of my time, and a non commercial usually does not require a medical. I want to add, if you think you know air brakes, go take the test. Really I could care less what, if any license you have, unless we happen to collide. Happy travels
Too many attacks on this thread ... However it strikes me that the above raised an important question: GRANTED the knowledge demonstrated by Class B license can be learned without getting the license, BUT is there a benefit to having the Class B in the event you are in an accident with another vehicle and need to give evidence or support to your driving skills?? You can SAY all you want to the officer or judge, but the Class B is CERTIFICATION of certain skills, regardless of whether it is required by a law .....
Old 08-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #118
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A quick read through this morning and I don't want to read again, today, but someone mentioned that when they purchased their MH in Florida the salesman told them they did not need a "special license."

Well, that may all be well and good if the person purchasing the home is a Florida resident and Florida law states that one is not needed. However, if someone is from a state other than Florida and the state they are from requires a special license, then where you purchase a MH has no bearing on your license. If you state requires a special license to drive a large vehicle then it is required in all states. About the only time anyone will get into any trouble because of the wrong type of license is "if" they have an accident. Maybe, just maybe, a LEO will know the laws and if you are stopped for an infraction he may cite you for an improper license, just maybe.

BTW, states are constantly changing their laws to meet the current situations on the highways, so if you have not read your states driving laws recently, it may behoove you to do so.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #119
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
To the OP, sorry about posting on other than TX DL's.

For the person for TN, yes you do need a special class of license depending on information contained in the TN laws. took me less than 30 seconds to find it.

TN Licenses
Old 08-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

No sorry needed, seems like a lot of people had this question or little understanding of the issue so it's all good. I don't have a vehicle to take a test in so I'm just going to take the written before I purchase and then bring that baby home and set up the driving test. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.
Christian51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #121
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
They will cut a corner of your license and give you a slip of paper stating your "temporary class" license. I beleive the paper states you have to have a similar or higher class licensed driver with you....been a long time.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #122

Quote:
Maybe, just maybe, a LEO will know the laws and if you are stopped for an infraction he may cite you for an improper license, just maybe.
I suspect that if you get caught then they would have to impound the vehicle unless a correctly licensed driver was available. They could not be party to allowing an unlicensed (or incorrectly licensed) driver to continue to drive. Certainly happens that way with motorcycles.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #123

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:

For the person for TN, yes you do need a special class of license depending on information contained in the TN laws. took me less than 30 seconds to find it.

TN Licenses
I'm not quite sure - - that indicates that the Class A, B, & C are COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSES. There seems to be a gap in the licensing requirements in Tenn that states like Texas have covered with their NON-commercial requirements.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian51 View Post

Thanks, but the wife decided she wants us to get licensed and drive it home for our first adventure but thank you for the offer. If something happens that we can't, well....I'll keep you in mind. We're looking in the Prosper area, staying as north of Dallas as possible.
In Alabama they only require you have a regular drivers license unless its a commercial vehicle.
Tom
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #125

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
I'm not quite sure - - that indicates that the Class A, B, & C are COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSES. There seems to be a gap in the licensing requirements in Tenn that states like Texas have covered with their NON-commercial requirements.

Barb
Yup. And some states have hidden amendments to the statues that call out an exemption, but it's not documented on their website. The only way to be sure is to actually call the central DMV office and ask.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #126
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post

Barb
Barb,
I cannot speak about Tenn laws, only post what I find or read. As stated it is up to the individuals in TN to call and find the answers.

Here is a quote out of the manual link I posted:

"In general, state law defines a commercial motor vehicle
(CMV) as any vehicle or combination of vehicles weighing
more than 26,000 pounds"

What can I say. It appears that an RV is classified as a commercial vehicle in TN.

Here's one for you, a quote from the TXDOT web site FAQ pages:

""Individuals who operate any of the following vehicles are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license because the type of vehicle driven still meets the definition of a commercial motor vehicle. For more information on what is considered a commercial motor vehicle, please see the special requirements section in the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook."

Who says that an RV in TX is not a commercial vehicle?

Tags
purchase