Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2022, 02:28 PM   #1

Purchase choices of windshield designs

Shopping for what I believe to be a class A around 26'. My issue is if windshield design is worth being concerned with during the purchase phase?
I am looking at 8-10 year old units and find some very nice motorhomes with some pretty fancy curved glass. While these are great looking rigs I find myself asking what I will do when the windshield gets broke ( I suspect that rocks are not friendly)? Some appear to have very unique glass that will likely become very hard and expensive to get in the future. Would you veterans of motorhomes be cautious of glass choices during the purchase phase? Am I over thinking this?

I am sure someone will say that engine choice and layout is much more important. I understand and at this point pretty much know what i want with these choices.

I am new here and wish to thank the community for the opportunity to ask questions and the site.
waiting2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2022, 04:37 PM   #2

Motorhome windshields are expensive and some are now obsolete. Check with your local windshield repair shop, or the glass repair firm recommended by your auto insurance for specific information.
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:01 PM   #3

Most everything out there has windshields with curves. Only thing I can suggest is to maybe look at rigs that have separate driver and passenger side windshields.

We got a rock chip that ended up causing a crack to run across the driver's side windshield a few years ago. Best deal I could find for replacing it was a little over $1200. I'm pretty sure it would have been higher if that had been a one piece windshield.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:23 PM   #4
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Welcome to the forum.

I'm one who'd say not to put windshield design at the top of your list of priorities when shopping for a coach.

I mentioned in another recent thread that there are places in the country who specialize in acquiring difficult to find windshields or even can custom make windshields if necessary. One of the companies that many of the motorhome manufacturers use to supply OEM windshields is Custom Glass Solutions in Ohio. Another is Coach Glass in Oregon but they have several branches in other parts of the country too.

Custom Glass Solutions

Coach Glass - Specialty Vehicle Glass
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:28 PM   #5

If it is a concern of yours, check with a windshield replacement company for the availability for the coach you are considering. Some insurance companies offer no deductible on glass replacement. I've replaced mine twice at about $3,000 each. My insurance covered both and waived the deductible.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:00 AM   #6

Windshield choice?

We are on our third Class A since 1997. Choice of windshield was not on our bucket list when choosing what we purchased. Our first consideration was the Floor Plan. If you can not live or function smoothly in your RV you will not give a second thought about your windshield. There are way too many other important things about your RV to be concerned with than the windshield. And no matter what you purchase, make sure your insurance policy covers full glass replacement. Purchasing the best insurance policy you can afford will have you sleep better at night rather than what windshield you have. Just my thoughts. Stay safe, Stay well

Dick and Sandy near Buffalo, NY
2015 HR Ambassador 38DB
2000 Ford Explorer Toad
Kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
We are on our third Class A since 1997. Choice of windshield was not on our bucket list when choosing what we purchased. Our first consideration was the Floor Plan. If you can not live or function smoothly in your RV you will not give a second thought about your windshield. There are way too many other important things about your RV to be concerned with than the windshield. And no matter what you purchase, make sure your insurance policy covers full glass replacement. Purchasing the best insurance policy you can afford will have you sleep better at night rather than what windshield you have. Just my thoughts. Stay safe, Stay well
I carry high deductibles on ours so the decision to pay out of pocket for my windshield replacement was the best thing to do. What I found afterwards is that the insurance company offered glass coverage with no deductible for only $44 additional per year. Wouldn't have had to pay a penny if I would have known about that.

OP, make sure you read the insurance policy and ask about glass coverage if you think it's needed. Rocks do seem to like these big old windshields.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
If it is a concern of yours, check with a windshield replacement company for the availability for the coach you are considering. Some insurance companies offer no deductible on glass replacement. I've replaced mine twice at about $3,000 each. My insurance covered both and waived the deductible.

Who is your insurance Company?

Don't count everyday, Make everyday count
Grabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Our insurance covers windshields with no deductible and other glass with a deductible. Everyone is very wise to check availability on things like windshields ahead of time.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:14 AM   #10

Florida Law requires no deductable coverage for windshields. Ther is a label near the edge of the glass with a number on it identifying the specific glass needed. Most insurance companies use Duncan Glass to handle replacement so if you call with the number you should be able to find out if it's available. Windshield availability is a concern, because you can't use a coach without one. I have had two break in 15 years of ownership.
There are some windshield types that are prone to popping loose and leaking a lot. Those are the ones with a lot of curvature at the sides and use the gaskets to hold them in place. You find them on older coaches. Ones with less curve and held in place with Urethane adhesive stay in place better. Glued in one's may have a rubber trim piece that looks like a gasket, so you have to check.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabcon View Post
Who is your insurance Company?
Geico.

My previous company had an additional annual premium of $30 for "no deductible glass coverage".
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:59 AM   #12

I've read on the forums that the wrap around windshields have more trouble with leaks from flexing of the rig. I have no personal experience with it but I've read that more than once.
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, wind, windshield