Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #15

Nice coach!
The coach we just purchased mush have been sitting for about a year or so. Not much that can go wrong sitting. I'd really take a close look at the topside & make sure NO LEAKS.
Other than that I'd go for it!!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #16

Our coach had only 8500 miles on it during the first 8 years, so it sat most of the time. We took it to a truck shop and spent $850. They replaced a front wheel seal, lubed everything in sight, checked all fluids and replaced filters, checked brakes and whatever else was underneath.

Since you only have 10 gallons in the tank, don't sweat it. Add some diesel nuke and fill up the tank....and change the filter after that first tank.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Tires are original so would need to replace those. I'm thinking $3k to replace?
Crazyrvfamly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Mchero,
Thanks for the feed back. Will definitely check out the roof. I watch the rv geeks video on roof repair which was really helpful is assessing a properly maintained roof.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Rick for the great advice. You definitely made me feel better about moving forward on this one
Old 06-29-2014, 12:40 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2006 HR Sceptor PDQ40

Crazyrvfamily,

I am in SoCal and cannot recommend RV service around you. You will need someone near the rig (KY) to do a PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection). Make sure they are thorough! Better to spend a few hundred dollars to save possible $1000's in repairs later,

Looked at rig online and it looks good. Price is about $18K under Low Avg Retail as listed on NadaGuides ($124K).

I paid around $3k for Michelin XRV 235 80R 22.5 thru the FMCA Michelin program.

HR has a good rep for quality builds, but just check it out as thoroughly as you can before handing over any cash.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
During my conversation with the owner's son he mentioned that some of the paint was peeling near the top of the rig. He said it wasn't too bad and this was common? Has anyone heard of this?

Ok, I think we have narrowed our search to this scepter and a 2004 monaco diplomat pst - 3 slides with 330 cummins.
The monaco is about $35k cheaper, in really good shape, new tires, batteries, etc.
Any thoughts from the group?
Old 06-29-2014, 11:52 PM   #22

The paint peeling along the top is common , particularly with darker colours , there are a few posts where members have undertaken their own repairs , both paint and clear coat.

I think the Diplomat may be a rear rad model, and that adds to maintenance and repair costs. Some Diplomat owners report having to cut the rear fiberglass cap to remove the rad.
The Diplomat was a cheaper M/H new so is worth less now.

Tags
newbie, purchase