Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #1

Purchasing a 2000 Journey with a cummins 275

Hi Any advise on this model Winniebago Journey ,will be our first RV, very clean, good price 35k
Larry2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #2

I owned a '00 Journey with the 275 HP Cummins engine. It should deliver you upwards of 10+ mpg. It will be a little slow going up the hills, but enjoy the view.

The transmission is the MT643 4speed transmission. I opted to upgrade to a 6-speed.

It's a fine coach.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
I owned a '00 Journey with the 275 HP Cummins engine. It should deliver you upwards of 10+ mpg. It will be a little slow going up the hills, but enjoy the view.

The transmission is the MT643 4speed transmission. I opted to upgrade to a 6-speed.

It's a fine coach.

Pusherman, what was involved with the tranny upgrade?

Larry, we love ours, it is never the first one up the hill but does get 9+ MPG and we don't get in much of a hurry anyway. Sounds like a fair price to me.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #4

Thanks Guys for your reponse, I realy want to close this deal and appreciate your comments.
Larry2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Pusherman, what was involved with the tranny upgrade?

Larry, we love ours, it is never the first one up the hill but does get 9+ MPG and we don't get in much of a hurry anyway. Sounds like a fair price to me.
I purchased a new coach per my signature line.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #6

Well I was looking at a 2000 Discovery with a 275 Cummins and was worried about the "53" block problems. Just so you are aware there were some problems with those blocks. I passed because he wanted 45K and wouldn't take less. If it's clean I say go for it. Worse case is new engine for around 10k. You still only have 45 in it.
HoleInOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #7

Our first diesel pusher had the little Cummins 275 & 5 speed Allison. Fine in the flats, but ANY mountains and it was a real dog. Problem with the ISB motor is it has insufficient torque. Ours had 520 lb ft,, and was limited to that by the transmission. Our next diesel pusher had the CAT C7, 330 hp / 860 lb ft. better, but still not stellar at towing through any serious mountains. Our current (third) diesel pusher has a Cummins ISC, 330 hp, 950 lb ft. It's noticeably better than the CAT C7, but still has limitations climbing the mountains around SoCal, when towing.

Personally, in my experience I wouldn't consider such a low powered coach. Unless I lived in somepalce flat like Texas and didn't tow much of anything.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:47 AM   #8

Being a 2000 check to see what chassis it sits on. If it's a Spartan chassis be sure to inspect the ball joint boots. If they're the originals they will probably be cracked and busted. You can't replace just the boots, you have to have all new ball joints installed. That's about a $2,000 job.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
I purchased a new coach per my signature line.
Exactly the same way I solved the rough ride problem I had with my old Brave on a F53 chassis.

Thanks.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Hello
My first DP was a 2000 Journey bought it new. Had some electrical problems lost power to dash gauges 3 times in 4 years (something in the harness)and had alternator replaced twice. No problems with the Cummings engine. I loved the rig and was pleased with power that it had, then again it was my first DP and all I had to compare it to was my previous gas rigs. Which were a Bounder a Brave and an Adventurer. Congrats and enjoy.