Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #1

Purchasing a new Newmar motorhome with trade-in

Hi everyone!!

Some background to my question. My wife and I currently own a 5th wheel which we want to trade-in when we pickup our new motorhome that we're ordering from Newmar. The dealer we are purchasing the motorhome from is in Las Vegas. We would like to pick the the new one at Newmar on the way back from a trip back east.

The problem is we will have the 5th wheel with us when we pick up the new coach. Has anyone else ever dealt with the same problem? If so how did you deal with it?

My wife won't drive either one half way across the country. Of course we can pick it up at the dealer when we get back but would prefer to pick it up at Newmar.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Gary
gfmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmonk View Post
Hi everyone!!

Some background to my question. My wife and I currently own a 5th wheel which we want to trade-in when we pickup our new motorhome that we're ordering from Newmar. The dealer we are purchasing the motorhome from is in Las Vegas. We would like to pick the the new one at Newmar on the way back from a trip back east.

The problem is we will have the 5th wheel with us when we pick up the new coach. Has anyone else ever dealt with the same problem? If so how did you deal with it?

My wife won't drive either one half way across the country. Of course we can pick it up at the dealer when we get back but would prefer to pick it up at Newmar.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Gary
Gary: First let me welcome you to iRV2.com

AFAIK, buyer PU at the Newmar factory is an extra cost option, somewhere around $3,000.00, that must be arranged thru your dealer. Regarding the "trade in" trailer, I'm guessing the dealer is expecting you to turn it in to them. Perhaps they can arrange for you to drop it off somewhere near Nappanne, but that will also need to be arranged thru the dealer. I suggest you ask the dealer if they can accomodate your plan. Good luck.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Gary: First let me welcome you to iRV2.com

AFAIK, buyer PU at the Newmar factory is an extra cost option, somewhere around $3,000.00, that must be arranged thru your dealer. Regarding the "trade in" trailer, I'm guessing the dealer is expecting you to turn it in to them. Perhaps they can arrange for you to drop it off somewhere near Nappanne, but that will also need to be arranged thru the dealer. I suggest you ask the dealer if they can accomodate your plan. Good luck.

Wow if you p/u @ Factory, you are saving them the cost of shipping the MH to a Dealer. So as an added Bonus Newmar hits the customer with an extra $3,000.00 option fee because you helped save them money.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
Wow if you p/u @ Factory, you are saving them the cost of shipping the MH to a Dealer. So as an added Bonus Newmar hits the customer with an extra $3,000.00 option fee because you helped save them money.

You didn't save Newmar any money, that shipping fee is added to the dealer's cost at time of purchase. Newmar has that outrageous fee to deter customers from getting in the way of their normal delivery procedures. If you want special handling, your going to pay for it.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #5

We took the Newmar factory tour last month - a class operation! I'm not in the market for a new Newmar now, but if I was, factory pickup would be awesome. You get to camp in their 'campground' while a dedicated service rep goes over every system with you. Any flaws/issues are repaired while you are there. I'm sure you could drive some day trips, to see if miles exposed any problems.

Having all issues sorted out during the first 3-5 days of ownership, by the factory builders vs. trying to get things "fixed" later by a local dealer has a lot of appeal ...although $3K does seem a bit steep.
Wandering Mcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #6

All I'm going to say is that I THINK the cost of FPU at Newmar is an extra cost option that MAY be included in the final price agreed to between the dealer and the customer. FPU has become a popular option for Newmar buyers, for a lot of reasons best known to those who chose it.
Personally, I think it is a shame that ANY new RV isn't really "fixed" when it leaves the assembly line QC department. The whole industry relies on the dealer (or extra cost options) to "fix" all the issues created by standard assembly practices before the buyer actually gets a new properly working product for which he is paying big bucks. SAD.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:11 PM   #7

Talk to your dealer about arranging a transfer service to pick up you 5th wheel at Newmar and deliver it to your dealer.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

It costs Newmar a lot more to do the PDI & delivery services, so they charge for it. The selling dealer saves money (no transport fees, PDI & delivery services) and that is factored into the selling price (assuming the buyer negotiated it).

The buyer can't trade his rig in at Newmar - Newmar isn't the one buying it. The place and time the trade is turned over to the selling dealer has to be arranged with him as part of the deal. I'd say there is zero chance it could be done anywhere near Napanee, but that's between buyer & dealer.

The advantage of factory delivery is that you get the undivided attention of trained and skilled Newmar techs, typically a couple people for 2 days, plus immediate access to parts if warranty repairs are needed.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Not sure how you "saved" them the cost of shipping. You don't think the dealer adds anything on for delivery and set up of a new motorhome? It's just a matter of pay Newmar or pay the dealer. Either way you pay.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
All I'm going to say is that I THINK the cost of FPU at Newmar is an extra cost option that MAY be included in the final price agreed to between the dealer and the customer. FPU has become a popular option for Newmar buyers, for a lot of reasons best known to those who chose it.
Personally, I think it is a shame that ANY new RV isn't really "fixed" when it leaves the assembly line QC department. The whole industry relies on the dealer (or extra cost options) to "fix" all the issues created by standard assembly practices before the buyer actually gets a new properly working product for which he is paying big bucks. SAD.

Agree 100%
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Maybe you should find out the facts before condemning a company. MANY people select the factory pick up for several reasons. One, they may never have owned a DP and have no idea about the systems. Second, you stay at their campground for a week. The week includes classes in the mornings on how to operate and care for your coach. Third, a new DP can be pretty complicated, especially for someone who has never owned one. A tech is personally assigned to you and your coach where they go through EVERY system on the coach. Fourth, you would have to be pretty naļve to think that even an high end coach doesn't have little issues, like a closet that doesn't close squarely, an exposed screw, a paint nick, etc. Often it takes living in a coach to find issues. By staying at the factory for a week, you get that chance and they fix what you find.

I don't care who you are, you're not going to learn every nuance of a complicated coach in a three hour walk through. Having that full week gives you a chance to go over the more complicated stuff with your persona tech.

Lastly, you don't have to purchase the Factory Pickup, it's an option. The cost of the FPU and delivery are all calculated into the price at the of sale, it's not a bonanza for Newmar.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I don't care who you are, you're not going to learn every nuance of a complicated coach in a three hour walk through.
Especially when that dealer walk thru is conducted by a person of unknown background. For all you know he was flipping burgers last week.

At the factory you get a thoroughly trained, skilled and experienced tech to do the walk thru. And you have the full knowledge base of the factory available if needed. Not to mention any special tooling and parts needed to complete any necessary repairs. Plus, it's just plain ole' fun at the factory. And did I mention the food and the bakeries and the people you get to meet. I'll stop now.

Tags
motorhome, newmar