Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #43

We had a Ford E-450 from Jayco and the quality was terribe. The top consumer relations manager Celina Tyler who reports to the VP does not own an RV and does not RV at all. She is in the top leadership and it is all about slamming units out the door quality be dammed. They intentionally under spec their units and when the customer complains they claim that it is the customer's fault. Our 2014 E-450 was a nightmare to drive. After thousands in suspension and other upgrades and multiple warranty claims it finally drove "ok". The engine was so loud that my wife and I had to shout to each other. The noise can be mitigated by removing all the carpet in the front and installing Hushmat or Dynamat and then carpet pad and carpet. On E-450 and F53 chassis the engine can be very loud. We looked at gassers on the F53 chassis but they all have the same problem. We traded our Greyhawk for a Thor Palazzo 33.3. It is nearly silent and even in high winds it is stable. Best of all the cost was compareible to gassers on the F53. I carefully looked at how the wiring was done and it is all in wire looms and zip tied unlike the Jayco units. It does have issues. Just like any new MH. There is debris left over from construction behind cabinets and other places normal users wouldn't look, however the Jayco units had it everywhere including under the beds, sofa, seats etc.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
I agree that every brand has its problems. Having said that I would choose Newmar, Tiffen and then Sportscoach in that order. Of course there are others. Plenty of used around of all brands. In addition to the above, don't overlook Monaco, Travel Supreme, Country Coach, Winnebago etc.

As for gas vs diesel, in a 36 footer there aren't many diesels that small. Diesels are mostly 38 foot up to 45 foot. A 36 foot gasser will suit you fine, like a good Chevy or Ford. Getting a diesel is more like getting a Cadillac or Lincoln. Gets you there just the same but with more comfort, performance, and style. Also more expense.

When I shopped for my first RV, I didn't see any reason to pay the higher price of the diesel. I went to a Newmar dealer and drove a gas coach and then a diesel on the same day, same road. Never drove a gas coach again. The difference in ride and comfort is amazing. But if the price of a diesel is too steep for you, a gasser will get the job done well. That's why GM makes both Chevy and Cadillac.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
We just bought a Tiffin Allegro 2015 36LA 3 weeks ago & just love it. We too did a lot of research on MHs & I think you'd be happy with either a Newmar or Tiffin.

Regarding a diesel, there are pros & cons. Lots of folks who have experience with both are here on the forum. You might ask for their thoughts on gas versus diesel.

The 36LA is really sweet. We really like the the fireplace, washer/dryer, and especially the "L" couch that slides out to form a nice sized living room. Comfort was really important to us & the couch is one that a bad back will love. Once you find the manufacturer you like, you might spend some time sitting & walking around in the various floor plans.

Look forward to hearing what you get.

Happy Camping,
Dave
Old 11-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswelld View Post
We just bought a Tiffin Allegro 2015 36LA 3 weeks ago & just love it. We too did a lot of research on MHs & I think you'd be happy with either a Newmar or Tiffin.

Regarding a diesel, there are pros & cons. Lots of folks who have experience with both are here on the forum. You might ask for their thoughts on gas versus diesel.

The 36LA is really sweet. We really like the the fireplace, washer/dryer, and especially the "L" couch that slides out to form a nice sized living room. Comfort was really important to us & the couch is one that a bad back will love. Once you find the manufacturer you like, you might spend some time sitting & walking around in the various floor plans.

Look forward to hearing what you get.

Happy Camping,

Dave

Dave, I don't know if you have the same couch as my 2012 la but I too am impressed at how comfortable it is. My couch folds out to make a bed w/air mattress. I shortened the frame 5" so we could pass thru from the kitchen to the back bedroom. Without doing this, the frame nearly touched the fireplace.. Bad design.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like the same couch. Have not used the fold out bed, but we'll keep that in mind when we start taking the G-kids with us.

One other thing on the 36LA....we didn't know we needed the outside TV! That sure is a cool way to watch a football game.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #48

Country Coach Owners Club
I have been hanging around forums like this since 2001.

My purchase decision was made after reading all the frustrations buyers of new motorhomes had with Manufacturer Quality Control. There are many stories of folks buying a rig and then losing 3 months of use in the first year because they were waiting on dealer repairs.

Tiffin has a great reputation for repairing their defects at the factory and in some dealer locations. That does not mean their QC is any better than other manufacturers.

My choice was an upper end manufacturer who used high quality products in a rig built upon a bus chassis.

Purchased at 7 years old for 1/3 the MSRP.

The former owner dealt with all the manufacturer QC issues, so I had none.

The rig has never been back to the dealer or the manufacturer during our ownership.

We are soon completing our 13th year and 70,000+ miles of travel and enjoyment.

Sure there are some repairs and frustrations during ownership. But we had no manufacturer related issues.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
We had a Ford E-450 from Jayco and the quality was terribe. The top consumer relations manager Celina Tyler who reports to the VP does not own an RV and does not RV at all. She is in the top leadership and it is all about slamming units out the door quality be dammed. They intentionally under spec their units and when the customer complains they claim that it is the customer's fault. Our 2014 E-450 was a nightmare to drive. After thousands in suspension and other upgrades and multiple warranty claims it finally drove "ok". The engine was so loud that my wife and I had to shout to each other. The noise can be mitigated by removing all the carpet in the front and installing Hushmat or Dynamat and then carpet pad and carpet. On E-450 and F53 chassis the engine can be very loud. We looked at gassers on the F53 chassis but they all have the same problem. We traded our Greyhawk for a Thor Palazzo 33.3. It is nearly silent and even in high winds it is stable. Best of all the cost was compareible to gassers on the F53. I carefully looked at how the wiring was done and it is all in wire looms and zip tied unlike the Jayco units. It does have issues. Just like any new MH. There is debris left over from construction behind cabinets and other places normal users wouldn't look, however the Jayco units had it everywhere including under the beds, sofa, seats etc.
Our first 3-4 weeks in our 2015 Allegro 36LA, DW & I never noticed any noise problems. Never had to raise our voices even on the hills.

Regarding quality, we had 2 small items that needed warranty work. Called Tiffin & asked if I could take it to a non-Tiffin RV service company....no problem. They did the warranty work & we were on our way. That's service!
Old 11-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #50

When I first got mine, the engine noise was unbearable. I traced it to the air filter box rubbing and rattling on the mast where the steering column is mounted. I shifted the box over a little so it doesn't touch and the noise is gone. I can still hear the engine on a steep hill but nothing to the point where we can't carry on a normal conversation. I have another air filter that I'm going to put in a different location and I'm thinking that should make it even quieter since the area it's in now has no sound deadening and wouldn't be easy to insulate that area. I believe most of the noise comes from the air box. The guys that have an air compressor in the garage know what I'm talking about. When the air intake for the compressor is put through the wall to the outside most of the noise nearly disappears.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #51

Marinaboy, did you get my response to your message yesterday, our computer is acting up and I can't open my messages for some reason right now. After reading this thread one common thing seems to arise when people ask this type of question is the F53 ride and gas vs diesel comes up. The bottom line is with the Newmar 3610 or the Tiffin 36LA you will not have to do any aftermarket upgrades to get the ride or engine performance that you want. I have driven them both and took extended test drives in both before purchasing. When doing my research the amount of people saying that upgrades were needed made me question the dealer on that issue. He assured me the handling and engine power ect would be great and there was no need for any aftermarket upgrades. He even told me of one of his customers who spent over $7000 on upgrades only to find that it rode no different, the gas mileage was the same, and the engine power was no different( this was all in the opinion of the MH owner who added all the stuff).

I decided that I would drive mine for about a year before I decided what upgrades I really needed. After 8,000 miles, several trips, through windy deserts, the Sierras, 101 all the way to Washington and back, I have found there is no need to add anything. My MH tracks great, does not get pushed around by the wind or passing trucks, and has plenty of power. The Tow Haul mode is great for descending grades, and you feel like you have complete control over the downhill speed. The engine noise is at a minumum while traveling normal terrain, and gets a little louder climbing grades, but is by no means so loud you can't carry on a conversation or listen to the radio. Like Rodz and others have said it is a great ride and you will not be disappointed with either one. I think people who put down the ride of the F53 Chassis either haven't ridden in the newer models that have improved, or have ridden in other MH manufacturers/models that were not designed right or overloaded to begin with.

We love our Newmar 3610 but did consider the 36LA, but like I said before we had a much better experience with the Newmar dealerships than the ones that carried the Tiffins. I really didn't get bedroom the slide comment either as it really doesn't matter what side it is on, when we stay at a Walmart or other parking lot type location we only put out the bedroom slide anyway, so as not burn out our welcome and appear that we are setting up camp. When it comes to equipment they are very similar re the AC's, bathrooms, fireplace, cabinetry ect. and that that will most likely not be the decision maker. To me it really boiled down to the Dealers and the quality of service I got before and AFTER the sale. Keep doing your research, and drive/see as many as you can before you buy that's half the fun of the purchase.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having all of the slides on the street side leaves a lot more room under the awning.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
Having all of the slides on the street side leaves a lot more room under the awning.

The BR slide isn't under the awning. There's no slideout under it.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #54

Click image for larger version

Name:	MH.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	79489
Old 11-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #55

Mines the same way, and the awning on the Tiffin is the same size. Is That your MH Rodz, nice color combo.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Mines the same way, and the awning on the Tiffin is the same size. Is That your MH Rodz, nice color combo.
That's mine at the dealer before I bought it. What color is yours Mike? My choice was based on the dealers reputation and the fact that they're about 40 miles away. I looked at the 36LA also. The two are very similar. Can't go wrong with either one.