Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 05:11 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
I wish more folks would read this thread just to see that video as it shows what happens when all 4 of the u-joints don't accept new grease. The folks at freightliner were so insistent that the u-joint only needed to purge grease from any one of the 4 caps and it was good to go. Thanks for the video, it really shows how important it is to do it right. Just a update; Freightliner did refund the $145 I mentioned earlier, and agreed they didn't do it according to the Spicer manual, but still insisted it wasn't necessary..

Don, I am sure you will like the locking tip on the grease gun. I now have a pneumatic grease gun with the locking tip and it really simplifies the process and makes less of a mess than my old standard pump grease gun.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 05:35 PM   #44

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I have ran trucks in severe conditions and hauling extreme loads. I have always greased my own and have never worried about all caps not purging.
I was told long ago and found through experience that when greasing a u joint that as soon as you hear the grease start to purge you stop there. Pumping excessive grease through the seals eventually wears the seals and the grease after warming will leave the joint faster. It makes sense to me that the seal is just that and should not be compromised. It has worked for me for 40 years.
Dennis
I agree! I have 40 years experience as an owner mechanic and water boy for a fleet of trucks. A failure is very rare. And your method of greasing is industry standard. Very clean as no grease gets thrown off the shaft at high speeds making a mess.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #45

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If you Google " Spicer U Joints ", you will see the type of joints used in medium and heavy duty trucks. The caps are held in with 3/8 bolts.

That is the type that is being discused.
If those are the type in question. And the OP has an issue with purging.
He can try this.
Loosen off the bolts.
Rotate the caps 180 deg
Tighten bolts and grease.
This will probably work.

However way to much emphasis is being put on the U Joints.
It takes a lot of miles to wear them out.
They are a bearing and like wheel bearings don't require greasing every 5000.
To do it gives a person a nice warm feeling.
Yeh I know what the book says and they are covering for the worst case scenario in really bad conditions which we just don't drive our units in.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #46

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
My Dodge Travco (M500 chassis) with only 65K miles still has the original u-joints from 1977. I greased them last year, didn't get all 4 caps to purge but no slop or play. I just carry a spare u-joint and tools.
I went to grease the u-joints on my 2007 Ford Crown Victoria... no zerk fittings and no way to get grease into them... nice.
I bet those joints last longer than you keep the Dodge.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #47

Hey Twinboat,

That was a good suggestion to google Spicer. I had some knowledge confirmed and learned a bit more. Excellent!

Here is the link >> SpicerŪ Driveshaft Lube & Torque Specification

GA Navigator,

That Spicer YouTube video was great.

Thanks guys,
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal