Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #1

Putting 6.5 Kw Generac Generator in my Itasca

I bought my '91 Itasca (25K miles on odometer, stove had never been used, new tires) very cheap ($1500) because it wouldn't crank (bad electric fuel pump), and the generator (4 kW) was missing.

I had a Generac Constructor 6.5 kW, max 8.5 kW, lying around from Hurricane Flood. It has a total of 12 hrs on it. I paid $700 for it as a return item at Home Depot. A few quick measurements, and it was apparent it would fit with a minor modification to the generator frame. I had to remove the gas tank and shorten the frame by the height of the generator. It was also a pull start, and I would have to convert it to electric start. The wiring should be straightforward, and nothing will change as far as cabin controls.

Anyone done this before?

Jim
Invisable is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #2

Its sure gonna be loud!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisable View Post
I bought my '91 Itasca (25K miles on odometer, stove had never been used, new tires) very cheap ($1500) because it wouldn't crank (bad electric fuel pump), and the generator (4 kW) was missing.

I had a Generac Constructor 6.5 kW, max 8.5 kW, lying around from Hurricane Flood. It has a total of 12 hrs on it. I paid $700 for it as a return item at Home Depot. A few quick measurements, and it was apparent it would fit with a minor modification to the generator frame. I had to remove the gas tank and shorten the frame by the height of the generator. It was also a pull start, and I would have to convert it to electric start. The wiring should be straightforward, and nothing will change as far as cabin controls.

Anyone done this before?

Jim
I'd look around and find a generator out of a RV. Check craigslist in your area, sometimes they can be had cheap enough. That contractor generator will drive you and your neighbors nuts.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #4

Along with the aforementioned sound level, consider this as a possible future issue. The cooling airflow of the generator that's designed to go into the compartment is directed down and out of the compartment, the generator you're putting in is not since it's designed to be set out in the open.

The heat issue will cause you a lot of grief, and for that reason don't even consider putting the fuel tank back on the generator while it's in that compartment, this will be a fatal mistake.

The exhaust system can be modified easy enough to direct exhaust out and adding a large enough muffler will help with the noise factor.

The generator designed for that compartment also is fed by a low pressure electric fuel pump, you still need to have a pump in the system.

So, I'd say the starter addition, then designing and building an efficient heat diverting system would be the big hurtles for your project.

If you're up to tackling those issues, I'd say go for it, and please let us know how it's turning out.

Safety is your number one consideration for this type of modification/re-engineering project. Please keep that in mind.

Best of luck
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #5

Good points all, but I have a solution for each problem. First, the exhaust will be directed into a shielded small auto muffler. Heat will be dissipated by a small 12V electric fan placed over a perforated area in the cubicle door. The fuel tank is not to be used, an electric pump with a fuel regulator (2 psig) and inline filter will take over that job.

I will be able to crank or shut down the generator from the driver's seat, the kitchen, or the master bedroom.

Progress so far. I had to move the control panel so I could see it. I am thinking of using two small hydraulic cylinders to lift or lower the generator from it locked perch. I would use air of course, by installing a small air tank in the adjoining compartment. I will be carrying a small electric air compressor anyway (racing equipment).

Of course the wheels will go. The finished package is close to a perfect fit. I had to convert the hand pull starter to electric start of course. Finally found a use for that generator that has sat in my utility room for years. Saved a ton of money to boot. It isn't an Onan, but with only 12 hours on the clock, it will last long enough for me to complete my mission at Bonneville Salt Flats.

Jim
If you ain't blown, you are sucking !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generac Mega Force 6500 kW Generator 1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	157986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen 5.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	157987  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen 6.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	157988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen 7.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	157989  

Old 04-11-2017, 11:21 PM   #6

This is not a big problem... remember several very important issues.... make sure the space is vented well, make sure the exhaust has no leaks and goes not only down but at least 6-8" out the side of the coach so that the gases can't get back into the coach.. and last.... be very careful how you relocate the fuel tank and use an approved tank that you can seal and vent outside the compartment...
Old 04-12-2017, 02:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
........ be very careful how you relocate the fuel tank and use an approved tank that you can seal and vent outside the compartment...
I won't be using the original tank. I will use the RV fuel tank.

Jim

Tags
generator, itasca