Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2019, 09:06 PM   #15

Continental makes a fine tire, whether you're looking for something for your sedan, sports car, truck or RV.
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2019, 09:32 PM   #16

I replaced my eight Michelins with Toyo M144's last June based on the success two close friends have had with them. Better ride, deeper tread, higher speed rating, slightly better economy and $2500 savings. 9,000 miles since the change and my wife even noticed the improved ride. My dealer said they stopped selling 22.5" Michelins due to unexplained failures including blowouts after the semi was parked. He sells mostly Goodyear, Bridgestone, Toyo and BFG. He does still sell Michelins for autos. I highly doubt there is reason for concern for Toyo's reliability.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawagman View Post

Now the reason for this post. Naturally, I first considered changing them out for Toyo tires and contacted their main office for advise on which tire would be best for my bus. I was totally amazed when the gal at Toyo told me that Toyo no longer recommended their tires for use on RVs. She mentioned something about a law suite and that Toyo no longer supported the RV market with their tires.

I then contacted my local Les Schaube dealer and inquired about a new set of tires for my coach. They gave me three recommendations and none of them were Toyos. I asked about that as I had always bought my Toyo tires from Les Schaube. The guy there told me that if I still wanted to put Toyo tires on the bus they could special order them for me, but that they no longer carried that brand and didn't recommend them for use on RVs.
Looks like I am going to go with the Michelin X-Multi-Z tires this time.
Much more expensive than the Toyos, but if Toyo and Les Schaube aren't going to support their use on my bus I think I'd be foolish to push the issue.
I suspect that was just cautionary on their part. If they recommend their tires as "RV tires", then you overload your MH and/or fail to check tire pressures and suffer a blowout, they're vulnerable to liability. But probably all brands have failed on RVs, and many, if not all, have been sued.

Interesting article below that mentions that at least one RV maker has zero engineers on staff. I wonder if any of them do? They build houses on a van or truck chassis with at least 4 large tanks of shifting fluids, how much do they really know about the stresses being put on the tires?

https://www.beasleyallen.com/news/ti...e-rv-lawsuits/
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

About 20 years ago Toyo got sued over use of their tires on an RV. The RV maker (Country Coach, as I recall) had installed undersized tires for the size of the coach. Toyo eventually won in court because it was not their fault, but vowed to never again recommend a tire for RV use. And they still don't. That doesn't make them a bad choice.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #19

Attached is the actual Bulletin from Toyo back in August of 2012 that had to do with what Gary may have been referring to. The tires involved in the lawsuit had to do with the OEM Toyo tires in the timeframe from about 2001 to 2006. This specifically pertained to Country Coach (owned by National RV at the time) as spelled out in the bulletin where we can see Toyo's stance.

As Gary has mentioned, it wasn't really a Toyo problem but was rather a Country Coach/National problem and the dispute was specifically between National and Toyo where it was generally understood once the lawsuits were settled, that the "blame" was on National for not specifying the correct tires for the application in which they were being used.

It doesn't mean that Toyo is an inferior product or is a bad choice for motorhome use.

There are/were plenty of internet discussions and legal summaries if doing a search on this dispute. Also, there were lots of discussion on this and other RV forums on the subject from over ten years ago to about 2012.

They way I understand the outcome is that the sole blame was on Country Coach for mis-specifying the type of tire they used as their OEM tire.

One of the comments that sticks in my head was one from an attorney representing one of the parties suing and he said that National/Country Coach did not have one engineer on their staff. He wondered how a company putting out these expensive motorhomes could be so irresponsible to "under-specify" tires for such a massive and expensive rig.

As a result, the NHTSA recommended that RV makers install larger tires and upgrade other load-carrying components, or increase the specified inflation pressures for tires.

Again, from my recollection, the outcome was not that Toyo was making an inferior tire but for RV manufacturers in general take more engineering prudence to specify tires and inflation levels that will handle that load that is being put on them.

So yes, for a number of years back then, Toyo would not recommend tires to be specifically used for RV use while the lawsuits were being settled. I believe to this day, they do not recommend a RV-specific tire nor mention a specific tire for RV use on their sales materials or website.

Also, Les Schwab now routinely recommends and sells Toyo for motorhome use. They are one of the largest dealers for Toyo in the nation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Toyo tsd-12-016.pdf (239.7 KB, 47 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
Had 6 Toyos put on my Class C a few months ago, says "Made In Japan" on them. They replaced badly-cracked Michelins that were actually slightly cracked from the beginning. Cost was $978 installed (LT225/75 R16E).

Yes, mine were also made in Japan and I never heard of any being made in China. Calling BS on that one. I got my Toyos from a large truck and tractor tire shop and have dealt with them for years. No way the owner would not inform me if a tire I was buying was made in China.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawagman View Post
Hi everyone,

On my last two coaches I always ran Toyo M154 tires and liked them a lot. I now have a 2003 Newmar Kountry Star KSDP-3702 and riding on Yokohama RY103 tires all round. These tires were put on the coach by the previous owner in 2015 and currently have about 8,000 miles on them. I purchased the coach in Dec. 2018.

Been having a lot of wandering/steering issues with the coach at highway speeds - to the point that on my last trip I had to bring the speed down to 50 and below just to keep it between the lines.

Before the trip I had taken the coach to Freightliner and had them check out the suspension/steering systems and such. They put on new shocks, new suspension/stabilizer bushings, new brakes, front end alignment and the like. Should have all been good for the trip. Not so, still all over the road.

When I took it back I was told that perhaps the front tires were the problem and I should consider changing them out for a better "steer" tire.

Now the reason for this post. Naturally, I first considered changing them out for Toyo tires and contacted their main office for advise on which tire would be best for my bus. I was totally amazed when the gal at Toyo told me that Toyo no longer recommended their tires for use on RVs. She mentioned something about a law suite and that Toyo no longer supported the RV market with their tires.

I then contacted my local Les Schaube dealer and inquired about a new set of tires for my coach. They gave me three recommendations and none of them were Toyos. I asked about that as I had always bought my Toyo tires from Les Schaube. The guy there told me that if I still wanted to put Toyo tires on the bus they could special order them for me, but that they no longer carried that brand and didn't recommend them for use on RVs.
Looks like I am going to go with the Michelin X-Multi-Z tires this time.
Much more expensive than the Toyos, but if Toyo and Les Schaube aren't going to support their use on my bus I think I'd be foolish to push the issue.
Interesting, I have a family member at Les Schwab and that’s the majority of what they sell for most MH. I am getting ready to put 6 on in next couple weeks.
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:12 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningHard View Post
Interesting, I have a family member at Les Schwab and that’s the majority of what they sell for most MH. I am getting ready to put 6 on in next couple weeks.
The way I understood it back then, the time period where some Les Schwab stores were not recommending Toyo or keeping stock in sizes common to motorhomes was around that same time that the lawsuits against National RV and Toyo were being settled over a decade ago.

I too was under the impression that nowadays, all Les Schwab stores are back to selling Toyo for motorhomes and it's their bread-and-butter brand for that application. I was told that today they sell a huge number of Toyos to motohome owners.

tap4154: My apologies for overlooking your post before I posted my previous post as coincidentally, it must have been the article you linked that I read years ago where I noted the same thing about National RV/Country Coach having no engineers on staff at that time they specified the Toyos that eventually failed and caused accidents. It was, in fact, one of the lawyers who made the comment. Thanks for posting that.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Toyo tire replacements

Good Day,

Still Sheltering In Place here in the Peoples Republic of California.

Currently have 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QBH, with original Michelin's 275/80R-22.5 XRE, considering replacing therm with Toyo 295/75R-22.5.

Question is have seen various threads regarding M144, M154 and M177.

Looking for some feedback as to best Model which will give best performance, handling and low noise level.

Regards,
Mike Cress
Old 05-22-2020, 02:03 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscress View Post
295/75R-22.5
M144, M154 and M177
Toyo has some comparison charts on their site...

M144 is not available in the size you mentioned. The closest you'll get is 295/80R22.5. https://www.toyotires.com/commercial...-position-tire

M154 is available in that size. https://www.toyotires.com/commercial...-position-tire

M177 is available in that size. https://www.toyotires.com/commercial...ban-steer-tire

Have you considered the M170? I'm getting ready to order a set in 296/75R/22.5 soon. They seem to be a good compromise between the various features they all have. https://www.toyotires.com/commercial...ban-steer-tire

Best of luck!
Army Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:50 PM   #25

We have M 154’s as drivers on our Alpine Coach. They replaced Michelin’s. Purchased at Les Schwab. Great price, great service, great tire.
Steve and Linda's APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
....many of us have replaced the OEM Michelins with Toyo....
Yep.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscress View Post
Good Day,

Still Sheltering In Place here in the Peoples Republic of California.

Currently have 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QBH, with original Michelin's 275/80R-22.5 XRE, considering replacing therm with Toyo 295/75R-22.5.

Question is have seen various threads regarding M144, M154 and M177.

Looking for some feedback as to best Model which will give best performance, handling and low noise level.

Regards,

Mike Cress

The 177 is a steer tire they have the groove in the outside edges to prevent radial run out, or rivering they are a great all position tire.
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #28

Official iRV2 Sponsor

In response to your question - The Toyo M144 295/80R22.5 is the correct Toyo tire for motor home applications. Hope this answers your question and happy trails to you and your family.

Tags
tires