Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #1

Quality of construction

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and please let me know where I can find answer to my questions if not here.

My wife and I are in the market to acquire a used Class A Motorhome. An acquaintance of ours has a 2000 Winnebago Sunrise for sale, and we are wondering if there are known issues with this year/model.

In addition, in recent years there has been numerous reports on the poor quality of a lot of RV's, especially Fifth-wheels and camping trailer. Many TV shows showed how quickly -- and badly -- some RV's as literally slapped together and shipped out to dealers. Rampant problems with water infiltration, amongst other things, are reported with every possible consequence you can imagine. So my question is: are Motorhomes build with more care and quality than what I've seen on TV and elsewhere?

Thanks for your help and contribution.

ML
fallbeachlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I don't know anything about the Winnebago. You might want to post specific questions over in the Winnebago Owners forum.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallbeachlov View Post
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and please let me know where I can find answer to my questions if not here.

My wife and I are in the market to acquire a used Class A Motorhome. An acquaintance of ours has a 2000 Winnebago Sunrise for sale, and we are wondering if there are known issues with this year/model.

In addition, in recent years there has been numerous reports on the poor quality of a lot of RV's, especially Fifth-wheels and camping trailer. Many TV shows showed how quickly -- and badly -- some RV's as literally slapped together and shipped out to dealers. Rampant problems with water infiltration, amongst other things, are reported with every possible consequence you can imagine. So my question is: are Motorhomes build with more care and quality than what I've seen on TV and elsewhere?

ML
the 1999-2003 model years of the F53 had two issues that I can recall.

the first was the air filter tended to get soaked with water in a heavy rain. i believe there was a Technical Service Bulletin on that. when it happens you'll notice a major lack in power. happened to us in our 2000 Suncruiser in texas one year. the other involved spark plugs getting blown out. that also happened to us around 75,000-miles. there should be posts concerning both in this forum's archives as well as the archives over on rv.net. beyond that we had no other major issues that I can recall with the chassis or engine over 15-years and 85,000-miles.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallbeachlov View Post
Hello,

ML
Welcome. Winnebago makes a good coach but like all they have their issues. The main ones to look out for on Winnebago's are the roof (the seam at the side channel in particular) and the windshield. The roof tucks into a jchannel along the side of the coach and sealed with urethane caulking. If not maintained over time that seal breaks down and the roof will become detached from the J channel which in extreme cases can result in the roof peeling back in wind or when driving. It's very fixable if caught before any damage occurs. As I mentioned the other common issue with older Winnebago's is rust behind the windshield. The windshield is bonded to a steel frame. Water can collect in the area and rust the frame. Usually the first sign of an issue is a water leak in the windshield area. The fix is again do-able but requires removing the windshield to properly address the rusted area. Just some things to look out for. If either of these issues exist you'll want to consider that in your decision\negotiation.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the MH your looking at is on an F53, I've wrote a lot of articles on the work I've done on mine to bring it u[p to date, including a few TSBs and a Recall that you should look at.

As for the coach quality, I can't comment on that specific MH. I do know that build quality varieied significantly between builders.

My 2001 Mirada was an entry level, low quality components, build, and construction methods. However, the 1999 Southwind that we currently have is on the other end of the scale. High end components, quality, and construction.

1999 Southwind 35S – Southwind by Fleetwood – sporting its new paint job

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Here is a link to help you get around irv2.
Here is a link for people interested in a new lifestyle with answers on what to decide when looking for a Motor home.
A high end TT or 5TH wheel would match a mid-quality MH.
Some things can over ride quality and it could have to do with budget and how much you plan on using a MH.
I will give you access to two typy MFG's maybe known by you and maybe not, the links will give you information of models and gas or DP type coach's.
Quality will be about the same for low end coach's and much better as you will see in the high end coach's.

--Winnebago -----FORUM ----Newmar ---FORUM

Chassis chassis gas Ford and Workhorse between 2003-- 2010 time period - Newmars DP chassis Spartan or Freightliner

I'll let you check things out any more questions I will an others will check in' there are other MFG's and you can get into the forums top HEADING top of forum.
Good luck in your hunt for a MH.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to irv2

We started out with a Fleetwood Discovery, 2008 to be exact. Overall, it was trouble free. Then to a Winnebago Journey 40L. . . the coach from Hell as my wife appropriately named it.
Now, Newmar Ventana 4369. Factory ordered.
The best advice our family can offer up. . . NEWMAR , repeat, NEWMAR
Do your research and enjoy what ever you sign on the dotted line for!
Blufox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Welcome. Winnebago makes a good coach but like all they have their issues. The main ones to look out for on Winnebago's are the roof (the seam at the side channel in particular) and the windshield. The roof tucks into a jchannel along the side of the coach and sealed with urethane caulking. If not maintained over time that seal breaks down and the roof will become detached from the J channel which in extreme cases can result in the roof peeling back in wind or when driving. It's very fixable if caught before any damage occurs. As I mentioned the other common issue with older Winnebago's is rust behind the windshield. The windshield is bonded to a steel frame. Water can collect in the area and rust the frame. Usually the first sign of an issue is a water leak in the windshield area. The fix is again do-able but requires removing the windshield to properly address the rusted area. Just some things to look out for. If either of these issues exist you'll want to consider that in your decision\negotiation.

I recently bought a used 2007 journey. I recommend peeing the windshield rubber back (it snaps into a keeper) and look for rust issue. I just replaced that rubber due to a missing piece and discovered some minor rust issues and was able to address before they became major. Winnebagoparts sells the rubber and the track, not at all expensive.
Txag82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We have owned TT and Mh's and have found significant Differences in the build quality. We owned a Gas 29' Winnebago class A, we owned a DP Airstream 35' MH, a 28' and a 35' forest river TT and now our class A 35' Newmar MH. There are many to choose from and there are some that are known for the problems. We chose Newmar as we were not going to go back to a DP and we wanted the best quality we could get for a gas class A. There are a couple of issues that happen on MH's and the nasty and hard to fix one is delamination. Newmar and a few other mfgs use a hung wall construction method that eliminates the delam problem . I did have some Delamination on a couple of our past MH's and it made me sick to see it even though it was minor. If you stay with the class A in a gas model you will have a ford Chasis if it is a recent model. I think anyone looking a Ford should budget a couple of thousand to correct handling issues that so many seem to have. Another thing to look at on Gas class A is the wheel base length compared to the Overall coach length. Less than 55% ratio may be hard to tame some of the problems. I also think a better choice is the 22,000 lb and up Chasis with 22.5 dia wheels . The good news is that a gas Chassis if you start out with the right one, can be made to ride well and taming body roll , swaying and pulling can be done. I spent $1700.00 on Chassis upgrades and I can honestly say that my Gasser rides much better it will never be my old Spartan Chassis ride but I can drive it single hand on the wheel in most all situations. You have to research the issues and make a decision based on your particular set of circumstances.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blufox View Post
Welcome to irv2

We started out with a Fleetwood Discovery, 2008 to be exact. Overall, it was trouble free. Then to a Winnebago Journey 40L. . . the coach from Hell as my wife appropriately named it.
Now, Newmar Ventana 4369. Factory ordered.
The best advice our family can offer up. . . NEWMAR , repeat, NEWMAR
Do your research and enjoy what ever you sign on the dotted line for!

Huge difference between a used 17 year old coach for 15K and brand new 350K coach.
It would be impossible to comment on the potential quality of a 17 Y/O coach. As far as the Many TV shows showed how quickly -- and badly -- some RV's as literally slapped together and shipped out to dealers. Rampant problems with water infiltration, amongst other things, are reported with every possible consequence you can imagine. So my question is: are Motorhomes build with more care and quality than what I've seen on TV and elsewhere? where were these shows? Also could after NBC took Chevrolet pick ups, filled the gas tank all the way to the top of the filler neck, leaves the gas cap off, then installs electric igniters and runs a vehicle into it and shows how dangerous a fire hazard the truck is. These TV "news" shows don't make money by showing good things. It may be fun to make the news, but it is no fun being the news.

Every coach on the road was built by hand by humans, not robots. I found as many obvious issues in a 400K Coach during a walk through at an RV show as the number I have found in the 84K coach we bought that afternoon. I don't think the dealership owner was happy about my pointing out to Kelly broken tiles, along with doors and drawers obviously out of alignment while he was in the dinette trying to close the deal. A lot of the parts are built outside of the coach in jigs, but aren't moved and installed in jigs. Then there is no way to QC every system and part in a coach or TT then put it back into condition to sit on a dealers lot for months. Some can be tested out, some can't. When you look at all of the complaints across ALL LINES, including NEWMAR, remember that a vast majority of people will take time to post a negative but not a positive, and many buy an entry level class C expecting the same level of quality of a 500K coach. Then look at the marketshare of that line. A company that sells 50% of the market will have 50% of the complaints.

Tags
quality