Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2022, 05:24 PM   #1

Quality/ pecking order

WE are looking at class a diesel pushers so far we have seen a beaver marquis,foretravel 320, country coach intrigue and western alpine and could use some info in quality? I have a good knowledge of the drive i have my own trucking co but not much on the coaches also like the travel supreme 45ds14 any help would be great . The guy with the country coach is claiming the are far superior to the rest ,but i think the beaver is a great driving coach just love the cat torque. Thanks
tmcksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2022, 05:30 PM   #2

Hard to beat an Alpine. But I’m a bit biased…..lol.
Old 09-25-2022, 05:45 PM   #3

From those 3 IMO Foretravel is the best all-around MH. Without a doubt, quality and expense of production go hand in hand.
Unlike the other 2 brands, Foretravel is built on a million-mile chassis and usually comes with a DD engine as a result. They support all previous model years, the other 2 brands are no longer in business.

Some Beaver MH chassis have torsion bar suspension, which is no longer available. I joined the Beaver owners group in 2012 when we were searching for a quality MH. All existing stock for Beaver torque suspension bars was bought up by one individual of the group before I joined.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 04:20 PM   #4

Just a FYI but I have a C-15 in my CC...with new turbo, exhaust etc and Tuning by Mr Haney I think its a combo that's hard to beat.

$$ no object get a Newell with a C15 and a ZF trans. And tuning by Mr Haney.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:44 AM   #5

You need to include some sort of budget as well as how far back your willing to go in years to get highest end chassis. A lot more things to wear out than chassis, motor and trans. Some older units before "smart boards" can make repairs more straight forward. Do you want slides. What was only available on highest end coach like fiberglass or metal roofs became available on models much further down order as years went by.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:25 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I realize my post is meaningless. But, I have watched a ton of YouTube videos on Country Coaches. Yes, videos only, never driven one. But from what I have seen of these coaches, and if I were to roll back the clock to August 2020 when I entered the Class A world and bought my Tiffin Red 340, I would have strongly considered the Country Coaches. They just look well made and the house/frame construction is amazing (according to what I've read). That being said, my neighbor at the storage location has a Foretravel he bought for $60,000. He put some money into the interior and addressed other things like brakes and air dryer, etc... himself, but that coach is amazing. I believe it is an early 2000's model. Man it is tight and everything is solid. I'm still considering a jump from my 2019 Red 340 to an older CC or FT. It just has to be the right one/condition.
Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:40 AM   #7

From what I have read Foretravels are good coaches.

I'd rather have a coach from the "Golden" age of coach's than any of the new $500k stuff.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:27 PM   #8

Some of the “Golden Age” coaches like. Foretravel were $500k back in 2002.. great quality coaches and worth every penny as they ahave good bones and a great support system and still in business.

Can’t go wrong with Foretravel.. best coach I have ever owned and very solid. Bones make a difference.. most importantly is they come with a bigger motor and bigger trans
Old 10-03-2022, 06:09 PM   #9

I made the following list when looking for an older, well made class A DP (2000 to 2008).

Most of the brands have a lot of different models, often they are grouped into chassis levels and then trim levels. For example, Monaco's Signature, Executive, and Dynasty series are built on a higher end chassis but have different options and interiors.

We used this list to search (this is just what we used - often companies moved model levels up and down in their line-up for different years. Some models just have different options as standard, but I found this helpful). We looked to pick from the upper models in a company's line-up and for comparison for pricing.

Country Coach:
1. Prevost conversion
2. Rhapsody
3. Lexa
4. Affinity
5. Magna
6. Intrigue
7. Allure
8. Inspire
9. Tribute
10. Mustique

Newmar:
1. King Aire
2. Essex
3. London Aire
4. Mountain Aire
5. Dutch Aire
6. Dutch Star
7. Ventana
8. Ventana LE
9. Kountry Star

Monaco:
1. Signature
2. Executive
3. Dynasty
4. Windsor
5. Camelot
6. Diplomat (same as HR Endeavor)
7. Knight
8. Cayman
9. LaPalma
10. Monarch
11. Esquire

Tiffin:
1. Zephyr
2. Allegro
3. Phaeton
4. Allegro RED

Fleetwood:
1. Providence
2. Discovery
3. Expedition

Holiday Rambler:
1. Navigator
2. Imperial
3. Scepter
4. Endeavor SE
5. Endeavor
6. Ambassador
7. Neptune
8. Vacationer
Old 10-04-2022, 08:26 AM   #10

Bluebird Wanderlodge should be added to the list. Alpine had serious problems in the final years. The son or sons took over and things went downhill.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Bluebird Wanderlodge should be added to the list. Alpine had serious problems in the final years. The son or sons took over and things went downhill.
Bluebird would be my choice too if you could find a 2007. I believe that was the last year they made coaches. I owned in the past and they truly are head and shoulders above all the production stuff.

I own a Tiffin breeze now. My new house has severe driveway limitations with twists and turns. I needed the shortest DP made to get to the top of my driveway and into the garages.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:54 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
All used coaches can be good depending upon how they were maintained. You can get the oil analyzed, etc but as everyone is aware these units require constant attention.

We met a fellow in Pomona who had a new Marathon. He had complaints about numerous issues including water leaks.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:54 AM   #13

No mention of the Fleetwood Revolution ?
I have a 2006 LE bath and a half, very well put together. Cat c-9 has plenty of power and the ACERT engine has no emission problems to deal with. Plenty "modern" without getting carried away with computer controlled electronics.
Like all motorhomes, there are a few "wish they would have done it this way" issues, but with a few changes you can make it into just what you wanted.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:36 PM   #14

Don’t have much knowledge of the other coaches but I can vouch for our Beaver. Solid as a rock, great quality interior and rides smooth. And I especially love the CAT C12… It’s a real beast!
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality