Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2021, 08:41 PM   #1

Question 2 (generator)

As promised, here is my electrical question

When the generator is running, it is draining my chassis battery. It's charging the house at 13.8 but not charging the chassis battery at all (starts from chassis) so my question is where to start the rig is a 31' 92 phoenix by cobra and the generator is a Kohler 4.5ckm21-rv that has 130hrs on it total

Thanks in advance

Eric
Eric99223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2021, 09:30 PM   #2

Pickup a Cyrix 120 battery combiner and wire it between the house and chassis battery. Don't forget to run a ground wire.

Your other option is to move the generator cable to the house battery.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211129-232849_Chrome.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	350133
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:13 PM   #3

Is it meant to be that way and not charge the chassis? Won't that allow both batteries to run down?
Old 11-30-2021, 06:33 AM   #4

It may have had a different system that kept the chassis battery charged. Look for a device labeled Lampert L145 or something like that..

OR it may have had the generator connected to the house battery. Some folks move it to the chassis battery so they can run down the house battery dry camping and use the chassis battery to start the generator.

The device I suggested is voltage sensitive. It only connects the batteries together IF there is a charging voltage on one or the other.
When your generator is running and charging the house battery, it connects the chassis battery too, charging that.

When your engine is running and charging your chassis battery, it connects your house batteries, charging them.

Shut either charging source and the combiner opens, like it wasn't there.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Not all coaches charge the chassis battery from shore/generator power. If unsure if yours is supposed to do that, you can add a battery combiner such as the Cyrix or the LSL Trik-L-Start. Simple to add and works great.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:46 AM   #6

It's true that not all coaches charge the chassis batteries BUT if the generator is powered by the chassis battery it has to, otherwise you end up with a dead chassis battery.
Most RV generators don't have, or connect, self contained charging systems.

I didn't mention the Trik L Start because it's only a 10 amp device.
It's built to maintane a resting battery and may not cover the load of the running generator power use.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:25 PM   #7

Talked to Kohler and they said from the model number it should charge the start battery as well so I guess it's time to bust out the voltmeter amd see what is going on in there
Old 12-01-2021, 06:11 AM   #8

My Generac 75d has small separate 12v rectifier circuit board ,just enough output to add more juice back to batt than it uses. IDK to amperage but can't be much by the size of it, maybe a couple amps if I had to guess. The small combiner twin boat shared may be cheaper and faster than a replacement especially if it's part of main board. Before adding my Bluesea MTL-ACR, I just used a car charger camping when on my 3000w gas inv. genny occasionally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric99223 View Post
Talked to Kohler and they said from the model number it should charge the start battery as well so I guess it's time to bust out the voltmeter amd see what is going on in there
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator