Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #1

Question about "Exclusionary" Service Contract - Something doesn't sound right

Before I get a bunch of posts telling me to self insure.

I have made up my mind and that is not my question.

The question I have is on this quote I got from WholesaleWarranties

It is from Virginia Surety Company.

They call it an Exclusionary policy but it sure doens't sound like it.

On one page they list a lot of things that are covered (seems pretty comprehensive) on the exclusions page they list things that are not covered and is says they don't cover anything not listed on the items covered.

Doesn't this just sound like legalize to make an inclusionary policy look like an exclusionary policy?

Here is a link to the sample contract: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m76tyyaoww...%20%283%29.pdf

Does this policy look good? It seems to cover a lot of systems. We have a DP with 4 slides so I am mainly concerned about the drivetrain, generator, electrical and slide motors, slide gears etc.

I'm not concerned with the tvs, oven, fridge, these have all been replaced and wouldn't be covered anyway.
00wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Might be worth a couple of hundred or so to get a lawyers opinion.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Might be worth a couple of hundred or so to get a lawyers opinion.
Only if the lawyer speaks "RV", the language may leave a novice in a daze.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #4

Exclusionary items found to be contributing factors to component failures in most cases negate paying a claim. Not only is the exclusionary item not covered, any damage caused by the failure of that item is also denied. In other words if an oil leak that leads to engine failure is found to be caused by an o ring failure, and the o ring is an exclusionary item the entire claim will be denied.

Read carefully through the policy and take it to a trusted mechanic. He/she can tell you the possible consequences of the failure of the exclusionary items. If any of the exclusionary items can lead to, or be a contributing cause of other more catastrophic failures find a different policy.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #5

Never heard of them.

I suggest you Google "review Virginia Surety Company". Read carefully
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
In addition to looking for an exclusionary policy, also look for one that provides/offers a rider for consequential damages. This eliminates the hassle over a non covered part damaging a covered part or a covered part damaging a non covered part.

I agree the wording you describe sure seems like an inclusionary policy
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A quick Google search reveals that Virginia Surety is rated A- (Excellent) by AM Best. That is good. But I agree with sdennis... it sounds semi inclusionary, and there is no mention of Consequential Damage. Be sure you're looking at the entire context. Very often a single document will cover several types of coverage, with only certain parts applicable as designated.

For example, I have a contract for a comprehensive plan purchased through WW that is underwritten by American Bankers Insurance and administered by Allegiance. Part of my contract reads as follows:
IV. C
OVERED PARTS

Comprehensive
Coverage is an exclusionary plan under which every component of the vehicle is covered except those components and conditions listed under the sections of this service Agreement; Section V. WHAT IS NOT COVERED and Section VI. EXCLUSIONS – WHAT THIS MOTOR HOME SERVICE AGREEMENT DOES NOT COVER.
The document then goes on to list all sorts of specifics that are covered and/or not covered, but none of that applies to me; only sections V and VI apply to any Comprehensive Coverage. I'd suggest you call them back and inquire. Certain words have specific meanings in specific industries. Be sure they clearly understand you want Comprehensive Coverage (as described above), and that you want coverage for Consequential Damage. My contract describes that as follows:
10. CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGE – Reimbursement is provided in the event of a Breakdown of a Covered Part due to the failure of a non-covered part or a Breakdown of a non-covered part due to the failure of a Covered Part.
Consequential damage is something for which you'll have to pay extra, but it broadens the scope of the contract very much in your favor.
I've had two claims on my contract (totaling about $4000), and both were paid promptly (directly to the repair center) and without any substantial argument. One claim included three nights in a hotel, plus meals. I have no complaints about my experiences.
Good Luck!
PS sorry the copied sections won't align properly.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Only if the lawyer speaks "RV", the language may leave a novice in a daze.

Fred
It is a contract. That is what lawyers do,interpret contracts.

I agree though, you may have to tell him/her what a black tank is!
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
time for a legal opinion b-4 you purchase or have a claim. also check with your states Attorney general and State Insurance department if that type of policy is legal in your state. Florida is tough on these warranty policies. safe travels...ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
IL also has some anti-consumer laws regarding ESW written in the state of IL.

We have WW and so far have been very happy with the service. 3 claims all handled fairly and quickly. I'm in the process of a 4th claim to cover a leaking water heater, 2 AC units needing service & some awning work. Since they will all be claimed at the same time the $200 deductible will cover all service ticket items. Even if they only pay out on the water heater I will be about $700 ahead on that alone. To date (not counting this round), I have received more in claim coverage than I have paid in policy premium. My 4 yr/48,000 mile policy including some additional
odds and ends cost just short of $6K. I have collected over $3K to date in less than a year.

IMHO, ESW are like auto collision insurance...you pay for it hoping never to use it. Sorry...I think I spent too much time on philosophy of ESWs. LOL The bottom line is...I'm happy!

Now, as to your direct question about "exclusionary". With WW placing me with Pro Trek there is the "Emerald" and "Diamond" coverage levels. The Emerald is more of an inclusionary coverage policy and also has some options you can pick to add to it. At the top of page 3 on my RV Service Contract is says, "If you selected "Diamond" coverage and selected and paid for all applicable surcharges for our RV, then this service contract will cover necessary repairs to all of the mechanical and electrical parts of Your RV except for those listed under "WHAT IS NOT COVERED.""

The items listed under what isn't covered are pretty standard so no red flags for me.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #11

Overland Owners Club
An exclusionary policy is one that instead of listing all of the parts covered (name peril policy) list what is not covered. If the part that breaks is not under the does not cover list it is covered.

Hope this helps
goose55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I purchased a 2 year warranty from Wholesale Warranties a couple of years ago. The sales people were nice, but they were just brokers for Allegence CSI. I chose them because of the price and what seemed like as good coverage as Good Sam for less.

After 2 years and 2 claims later I decided to switch to Good Sam even tough it cost me twice as much.

Both of the repair facilities that I used to repair my coach informed me that CSI way the hardest to work with of any warranty companies they had ever worked with.

After my claim issues, both repair facilities informed me that they would not be willing to submit a claim to CSI in the future. Their reason was they said they spent more time trying to get a claim approved by CSI than they did repairing my coach. They both said they have never had a problem with Good Sam and recommended that I switch.

On my 2 claims with CSI, they always found some vague reason to deny a claim or reduce the amount paid to about 50% of my actual cost of repair. On top of the claim issues, the repairs were often delayed by several days because they required that a "inspector" come out to look at the problem and we had work around inspectors schedule before we could start the repairs.

Bottom line, it was one of the worst experiences of my adult life in trying to deal with CSI on my claims for repairs. I would not work with CSI again if the cost was free.

Maybe you won't have my same problems, but be very cautious.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #13

get quotes from other companies and bargain with ww ; they will! Absolutely have consequential damage coverage included as that is the key to eliminate any hassles.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #14

I got a plan with exclusionary coverage and consequential damages.

Now I hope I don't have to use it and I hope if I have to use it, it isn't too much of a nightmare.
00wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service