Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Question about running AC's in extreme heat

Hello all,

Last week we were driving across the Imperial Valley area in the record 118 degree heat. Needless to say, that kind of heat pushes everything to its limits. We have a 10K generator that never shut down during the heat but it would blow the 45amp breaker on the generator if we ran all three roof AC's. So we switched the fridge over to LP and only ran the front roof air and never had any further issues.

I was told that in that kind of heat, the AC's pull a lot more amps than they normally do and so there is no chance of running all three off the generator. The example I was given was that normally they each pull about 12 +/- amps but in extreme heat that number could be as high as 19 amps. I was also told if we were parked, we would have the same problem with 50amp shore power in heat above 110 or so.

My question - does this sound correct? Obviously our goal is to stay out of that kind of heat but hey, we live in Phoenix so getting out of town in the summer can be hot until we get to higher ground or the beach! Additionally, we usually fire up the RV about 48 hours before we hit the road to load it, get the fridge cold etc so it would be nice to know my limits on power consumption in our summer heat. Our previous coach had 50amp service but only 2 AC's so we never had a problem.

Thanks for your input.
relaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah, heat can put a strain on the systems.. but I would think you could run two a/c no problem
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #3

Something doesn't sound right. First, not sure why the A/C would pull more just because it is hot outside. Second, even of all three A/C pulled 20 amps each (not likely) that would be only 60 amp total. Your generator puts out two 45 amp legs for a total of 90 amps.
On shore power the 50 amp service Has two legs of 50 amp each for a total of 100 amp. More that enough to run everything in your coach at the same time.
Not sure what is wrong but something is not right.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Something doesn't sound right. First, not sure why the A/C would pull more just because it is hot outside. Second, even of all three A/C pulled 20 amps each (not likely) that would be only 60 amp total. Your generator puts out two 45 amp legs for a total of 90 amps.
On shore power the 50 amp service Has two legs of 50 amp each for a total of 100 amp. More that enough to run everything in your coach at the same time.
Not sure what is wrong but something is not right.
I have seen 20 amps on my AC, before I cleaned the coils on the roof. It was only in the high 80s that day.

The hotter the ambient air, the higher the refrigerant pressure. Higher pressure equels more current draw.

Although there is 90 amps, 2 of the AC units must share a 45 amp leg.

If anything else is running, that puts them close to the threshold of the breaker.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And don't forget the Refrigerator. It probably has the same additional draw in heat as the A/Cs
Old 06-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
15 Discovery

Never seen our Very High Efficiency A/Cs pull over 8 amps each. Even extremely hot out. With 3 A/Cs it should never pull more than our 8K water cooled generator can produce.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
And don't forget the Refrigerator. It probably has the same additional draw in heat as the A/Cs
Exactly! That's why I mentioned that we switched it over to LP.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have seen 20 amps on my AC, before I cleaned the coils on the roof. It was only in the high 80s that day.

The hotter the ambient air, the higher the refrigerant pressure. Higher pressure equels more current draw.

Although there is 90 amps, 2 of the AC units must share a 45 amp leg.

If anything else is running, that puts them close to the threshold of the breaker.
That is how I understood it when it was explained to me.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:02 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Never seen our Very High Efficiency A/Cs pull over 8 amps each. Even extremely hot out. With 3 A/Cs it should never pull more than our 8K water cooled generator can produce.
I have never had a problem with ours in in the past. However, I have never been running all three in 118 degree heat before this. 105, yes. 110, yes. Never 118.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:49 PM   #10

Any appliance, AC, Refer, Range, Dryer etc should never draw more current (amps) than the listing on the label.
If it does it should shut down or trip the breaker.
This is a UL listing thing !!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
A properly working A/C shouldn't draw more amperage than the label states it will draw. A dirty coil or failing compressor could cause the current draw to go up. You may have an issue with one of your A/Cs.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Something doesn't sound right. First, not sure why the A/C would pull more just because it is hot outside.
The hotter the temperatures the hotter the refrigerant is this means it take more power to compress it the same hence higher load.

For instance the Coleman Mach 15 on my RV is rated to draw 1650 watts at 95F outside and 1900 watts at 115F outside.

Temperature most definitely effects amp draw.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:02 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Ours will draw more than 100 amps if I turn everything on but our dryer is 220 volts.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar08 View Post
Any appliance, AC, Refer, Range, Dryer etc should never draw more current (amps) than the listing on the label.
If it does it should shut down or trip the breaker.
This is a UL listing thing !!!!!!!!!!
No need to yell.

Each AC unit is on its own 20amp breaker so I will assume they are rated up to 20amps. None of those tripped so I will assume that none of the individual AC's ever exceeded 20amps.

And...based on my description in my initial post, the breaker on the generator did properly trip when the three AC's running together exceeded the generator's max load.

This is what lead to my question of - Could the excessive heat cause each AC unit to increase its load enough(but still be within it's acceptable operating range) that when all running together, they exceed the generator's capacity?

Tags
heat