Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2021, 09:42 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Question about steer tires

Had a blow out so I need to get a new tire. Is there a concern having two different manufacturers on the steer tires? Current is Yokohama with roughly 15,000 miles and I could only find one Toyo M144. My thought was to put two on the front, same brand, same date stamp but I am having a hard time finding anything.

Any thoughts appreciated.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 09:48 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Different manufacturers are fine. Tires need to be the same size, and similar tread pattern, but the wear from 15K miles shouldn't be significant enough to cause issues.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Had a blow out so I need to get a new tire. Is there a concern having two different manufacturers on the steer tires? Current is Yokohama with roughly 15,000 miles and I could only find one Toyo M144. My thought was to put two on the front, same brand, same date stamp but I am having a hard time finding anything.

Any thoughts appreciated.
TOYO M144 is a good tire. IF that is what is available, I would install it. IF you notice a difference, then you can always put a matched pair from the rear on the steer and put the mismatched pair on the rear where it should not make any difference. IF you have to do that, put the one with more wear on the outside of the duals because the "taller" one will get more wear from the road crown and they will equalize over time.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Agree wholeheartedly with HarryStone. As long as the size is same and style of the tread is similar, different manufacturers or models is not important.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:24 PM   #5

I'm old enough to remember hearing never mix radials with bias tires. Otherwise I'm with Harry and Gary.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #6

Don't do it...!!!

From my experience as a mechanic all my life, and in my personal opinion, I would NEVER use different manufacturer on STEER tires position, even if they are the same exact size.
Your LIFE (and others) is on the line... you do not want to experience that white knuckle 'defecation contacts the rotary oscillator' feeling (you probably just went thru that with the blowout) if something else goes wrong...!
Different manufacturers have different compound properties, and different operating conditions, and it is just not worth the risk.
If you do have to put a different tire on to get out of an urgent situation, find a used tire of equal size to put on there until you can get a matching Yokohama replacement.... then drive very carefully until you can get it done right and safely again...!
Again, your life (and other people on the road) is just not worth the risk. You should be able to find a pretty good used tire in that size for about $100 or less until you can get the new Yokohama put on... then either resell the used or keep it for another emergency spare. Be safe...
jboutelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires