Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2021, 03:58 PM   #1

Question about using toad in hard to manuver areas

We are still in the research phase before going full time but it seems like one major benefit of the class A is that when going into tight areas like a park or forest roads etc one person can drive the toad and scout ahead for potential problems much more easily than say dropped your fifth wheel and then driving the truck in to take a look around. Does anyone have real world opinions on this? Is it valuable? Do you ever find yourself doing it? Trying to determine if this is something that should impact our class A vs fifth wheel decision.
lb23992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2021, 04:14 PM   #2

We have done this many times. One reason we have the MH over a 5th wheel. I also use google maps to scout area ahead of time if at all possible. Some times you don't have to drop the toad and can figure it out there.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #3

We purchased our first RV after retirement. Our focus was to make our travels as easy as possible. We chose the Class A because
(1) connecting a car 4 down is much easier than a fifth wheel
(2) if staying at Walmart or roadside park, we could just drive off if we do not feel safe
(3) we often drop the toad at RV park entrance, as you mentioned much easier than fifth wheel
(4) and since I would be driving, DH is legally blind, I did not want to backup a TT or fifth wheel.

Other consideration were that we would have to purchase a truck and TT or fifth wheel - so no cost savings.

Wishing you a successful search for the best RV for your needs.
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #4

After having both a 40' 5th wheel and a 40'class A, I can tell you MUCH easier with the class A and a tow .
Old 03-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #5

I agree that a class A with a toad is much easier to drive and setup than a 5th wheel.

I used to tow a 36' 5th wheel with an F350, and my 45' DP with my F250 toad is easier to drive than my 5th wheel was.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:55 PM   #6

You’ll also find setting up camp is an easier process in a motorized unit between ease of placing and leveling the rig. I see many people take agonizingly-long amounts of time to get their trailers set up, it’s stressful just to watch!
GOLDandGREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:59 PM   #7

We always disconnect our toad and my wife scouts out the last mile in the toad. We only drive in connected if we know there is enough space.

9 times our of 10 I end up backing in anyways so the toad got to be disconnected anyways.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:08 PM   #8

Use google maps, its your friend. I agree 4 wheel down toad is the easest.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:34 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Many are giving you examples of having a toad with a Class A, versus a fifth wheel, but only one addressed your specific question, about using the toad to scout ahead.

In 17 years of towing a toad, we've never used it to scout ahead. First off, if a road is so bad that I need to scout it out, I'm not taking my diesel pusher or even a Class A gasser there. Second, about the only time a road narrows down or gets difficult is while actually entering a campground. If a campground is that small and tight, they're not going to have a spot for my size RV, so I would never be in a situation that would require scouting.

I think consideration of using a toad or truck tow vehicle for a scout, in your decision on what to buy, is a non issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:16 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We unhook at the entrance then the DW leads me in with the Toad.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:35 PM   #11

And one other benefit is if coach breaks down you have another vehicle available. And i have recovery equipment i could pull the MH if needed.

I want to do some boondocking on BLM land and planning to use the Jeep for scouting
Old 03-24-2021, 08:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Most of the time we tow the toad to the to campground entrance. We don't block the road at the site while we disconnect to back in.

Now some of the campgrounds we have been to throughout the year and we know the roads. We plan to disconnect just a few miles away. One of those CG's we will go to June to meet up with about 10 other group. Its a hilly area. There is a 15 mph turn followed by 10% grade. After the turn you have lost everything. We will be lucky to top the hill at 10 MPH. The CG is 2 miles down the road and right after checking there is a steep about a 12-14% grade. So we will disconnect about 3 miles before the campground.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:59 PM   #13

To Don's point, we have never used the toad to scout a spot. Our philosophy is that we stay at parks that can accommodate our 45, and use the toad to get to the state and national parks we are interested in.

This week we hiked Inks Lake State Park in Texas. On our way out we explored their camping sites and found several tag axel class As staying there.

We noted the spots on the map that could accommodate our rig, and will be going back.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:12 AM   #14

While Google helps to look at a road, it doesn’t show you overhanging trees or potholes. Guess we take our 44’ places most do not as we’ll scout in the SUV before venturing in to the free camping spots.

Even in public campgrounds we’ll unhook to pick a site checking for cell and satellite service. Going to unhook the SUV anyway so checking ahead is not a burden.
Sandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad