Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2022, 12:06 PM   #183

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
Just to satiisfy my curiosity, why do you need to have the engine running to connect electric, sewer and water?
Good question. Simple answer is you don't need it for that step, but you do need it to extend the full wall slide.

Connecting electric, water, and sewer is much easier on the back ( and head ) with the slide in.

So this has become the routine. My DW guides me into place. Once given the clear signal, I put it in park, and let the engine idle while I do the shore cords. While I am doing that, my DW is putting out the bedroom slide and kitchen slide. I return about the time that task is done and put out the full wall slide.

Once the slide is out, then I can level the coach and finally shutdown the engine.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2022, 12:06 PM   #184

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
...Idling diesels is old school thinking. New ones do not require warming up for long periods, the short time it takes to build up air pressure, idle out of the CG, slowly drive down a secondary road and then accelerate up to cruising speed is all they need...
Agree, my manual says not to idle the engine any more than necessary, and if you must idle do it at high idle.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:36 PM   #185

Monaco Owners Club
Question for diesel owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Can you cite a source for that please?

I don’t have a tech paper for you .. sorry. Perhaps you can site the source that describes full load as driving on a freeway at 60mph , please. I don’t recall reading that. The engineering dept always said under maximum torque…
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:40 PM   #186

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I don’t have a tech paper for you .. sorry. Perhaps you can site the source that describes full load as driving on a freeway at 60mph , please. I don’t recall reading that.
Using my Blue fire, I can track the Cummins load. It is normal to see 85-99% loads.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:37 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
There is a huge difference between driving a metro delivery route vs driving on an interstate or highway. Do the delivery trucks have a turbo? If I go directly to a campground that is a mile or less off the highway, then I will idle while checking in. By the way, the rule about turning off the engines for UPS has nothing to do with saving fuel or a courtesy, it is to keep thieves from stealing the truck for its contents.
And to prevent lawsuits when the thieves injure/kill someone after stealing the truck.
RayFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:58 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Just a note …” Full load” is full throttle going uphill ( mtn pass) with 80,000 lbs not running down a freeway with a motorhome which is light load.
Different engines. The Cummins ISL (what we have) is mostly used in coaches and fire trucks. It's not nearly powerful enough for an 80K tractor trailer combination, and I've no idea what normal operating procedures are for those engines (or the ones installed in UPS vans, for that matter).

However, the Cummins owner's manual for our ISL9 400 says, on p. 1-3, "Idle the engine 3 to 5 minutes before operating with a load." Not a full load, mind you, just a load. They must think it's important, because they repeat that on p. 1-6. On p. 1-48, they add, "Idle the engine 3 to 5 minutes at approximately 1000 rpm to warm the engine before activating the engine brakes."

In our coach, jack retraction time and air up time pretty much make sure that happens.

Also, the engine shutdown procedure on p. 1-61 has a graphic that says the engine should idle for 3-5 minutes before shutdown. In a campground, idling while checking in generally suffices. At the pumps, pulling in and getting to the pump generally is enough or at least gets us close.

I'm a "do what the factory says" kind of guy. I recommend people read and follow what the owner's manual says for the engine in their particular coach. In my industry, we called this "RTFM." Read The, um, Fine Manual.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:16 AM   #189

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Is there are reason people let diesels idle for prolonged periods before they hit the road in the morning? It's really irritating for those of us in the campground who are trying to sleep in. Had a couple of Harley riders do the same thing recently, so it's not exclusively a diesel thing.
When your in a crowded camp ground, its not all about you. Others are trying to get ready and carry on with their lives. It may seem longer to you since you had rather sleep in, but most of the time I see people just idling enough to get going. Maybe boondocking is better for some.
Uncle Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:10 AM   #190

Tiffin Owners Club
It is actually a good idea to warm all engines somewhat not necessarily to operating temperature. I usually take about two minutes to fill air tank and suspension. Given the cost of fuel no longer than needed.
L2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:27 PM   #191

[QUOTE=znt1186;6191052]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Newmar diesels of later models require the coach be at ride height before operating slides.

That means on arrival, we have to hook up electric, water, sewer, then extend slides before leveling.

Just to satiisfy my curiosity, why do you need to have the engine running to connect electric, sewer and water?

The only reason that is in the owners manual is because the 12V electric motors for the HWH system and the 12V motors for electrically-driven slides requires a minimum of 12.8V to run properly.
If you plug into CG pedestal first no need to run the engine, the battery charger maintains good battery voltage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:59 AM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Harold View Post
When your in a crowded camp ground, its not all about you. Others are trying to get ready and carry on with their lives. It may seem longer to you since you had rather sleep in, but most of the time I see people just idling enough to get going. Maybe boondocking is better for some.
I have no problem with people getting ready in the morning, but it you want to run your diesel at 6 or 7 a.m. more than is needed to air up your brakes and air bags, you need to do everyone in the campground a favor and stay at a truck stop.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:46 AM   #193

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Imagine fire trucks idling for 10 minutes before they start their response.

I know, some have air pumps to keep them up to pressure but the ones I drove didn't.
When the low air buzzer went off, so did we.
Off topic but @twinboat will chuckle. We had an old fire truck with so many air leaks and such a weak air pump, we plumbed in an air bottle from a breathing apparatus to charge it. Rookie opened a compartment and opened it or we wern’t going anywhere.

Now back to our regular program.

2022 Kountry Star 3412
Jeep Wrangler
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:40 AM   #194

Idling is to be discouraged as it wastes a lot of fuel, in addition to annoying your neighbors. I drove a Mercedes diesel not long ago that had auto start-stop. It operated almost imperceptibly. How'd they do that? My Cummins sounds like a Wartsila starting up.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:36 PM   #195

If the sound of a Diesel engine idling next to my camper bothered me I would sell my camper and stay home. I wouldn’t let something like that upset me. I would eliminate the problem. If you can’t swim; stay out of the water.
Empty nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:15 PM   #196

A lot of the time I have to jockey back and forth to get out of a site. If my diesel idling for 10 minutes bugs you, I can't imagine how you would have felt about the backup warning horn that I disconnected because it was so godawful annoying.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel