Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2022, 07:17 AM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post

Now, let's talk about all the jerks at the CG that sit outside all night talking loud, playing their music loud, and having rock concert type lighting on their coach wrecking the night sky for everyone. Oh, and people that are early risers that let their screaming children out to play at 8am, while the rest of us are trying to sleep.
Personally, I'll take an idling diesel over all of that, any day...
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2022, 07:37 AM   #44

When I was farming, we had gensets for emergency power when a storm came through and lost public power. Some would automatically start at the loss of power and come up to full rpm in a matter of seconds while others would idle for a minute before coming up to speed. No 5-10 minute warmup necessary for those diesels. Same with the residential propane gensets. Also had a John Deere power unit on an irrigation well. I could remote start it and it would run at 1000 rpm turning the pump shaft for a minute before coming up to full load and run for up to 36 hours before slowing down to 1000 rpm for 2 minutes to cool the turbo and then shut down. If the OAT is above 50 degrees, the modern diesels have warmed enough to drive when the air suspension system is up to ride height and the compressor has released. Any further idling is unnecessary. How does your generator start up? Every one I have owned comes to full operating rpm the instant they start. That doesn't seem to affect their longegity. Does that tell you anything???
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:38 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
When I was farming, we had gensets for emergency power when a storm came through and lost public power. Some would automatically start at the loss of power and come up to full rpm in a matter of seconds while others would idle for a minute before coming up to speed. No 5-10 minute warmup necessary for those diesels. Same with the residential propane gensets. Also had a John Deere power unit on an irrigation well. I could remote start it and it would run at 1000 rpm turning the pump shaft for a minute before coming up to full load and run for up to 36 hours before slowing down to 1000 rpm for 2 minutes to cool the turbo and then shut down. If the OAT is above 50 degrees, the modern diesels have warmed enough to drive when the air suspension system is up to ride height and the compressor has released. Any further idling is unnecessary. How does your generator start up? Every one I have owned comes to full operating rpm the instant they start. That doesn't seem to affect their longegity. Does that tell you anything???
Yep. Cold start the engine, wait until the oil pressure is up and oil is circulating through all components (on my rig I can hear when this happens the idle smooths out a bit). Depending on outside temp., but 10-30 seconds usually, then bump to fast idle using the cruise control.

Fast idle will raise engine temps slightly but more importantly let the air compressor do its thing faster. Your compressor should be able to fill the tanks from 60lbs to 125lbs in < 3 mins at 1500 rpm or you have a safety issue.

So total necessary idle time is <5 mins.

However, I will say even 5 mins if you're in a tent in the site next door will seem like an eternity for someone not familiar with diesels.
RoadTrip2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:25 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Nope. Low idle. I will bump it to high idle in the morning and time it. Maybe it just seems like 10 minutes, lol. Anxious to get moving. But different system than yours. Everything seems to be working as it should. 2002 4-bag Spartan MM chassis. These 4 big bags have lots of volume.

So this morning I timed how long to build air and fill airbags completely after camping 2 nights. Started and ran 2 minutes at low idle while unplugging and stowing 50amp cord, then bumped it up to high idle. Almost exactly 5 minutes total from empty system, and we were off. I guess it just seems longer when you’re itchy to get out of there. Like watching water come to a boil lol. Jury is out on which is noisier, low or high idle.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:36 PM   #47

Just boondock and then you don't have to worry about other people. Although I have been pretty darn remote and someone will be running their crappy generator 24x7 a mile away and I can still hear it. Then I just move.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:30 AM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Interesting enough yesterday when I began striking my stuff outside to head home a Prevost 3 sites down fired up his engine. About 45 minutes later I was done, and Terry and I were pulling out, and he was still idling......

Al
Old 05-17-2022, 10:06 AM   #49

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A lot of people idle their diesels way too long. I've also seen a number of gassers just sitting there idling as well. No idea what those campers are thinking. I will say that it takes quite a few minutes to go from start to slides in, jacks up, air up, but I don't let her idle any longer than that. Slow roll out of the campground at that point and she's plenty warm to get moving.

Coming in, the manual says to let it idle for a few minutes to let it cool down before shutting it down. I was doing that, but the manual also says it's not necessary unless it's above 190. I find that by the time I toddle over from the freeway to the check-in, it's already below that temperature (and it usually runs cooler than that anyway).
Old 05-17-2022, 10:16 AM   #50

I let it idle when I pull in until I am hooked up. It allow the turbo to cool down and not build up carbon around the seals. Turbo chargers are expensive. When starting, I start when all but the power cord is disconnected and I make sure the inverter is on. Then disconnect the power cord and go. It take about four or five minuets when starting out.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:21 AM   #51

I never idle when I turn off, usually my engine temp by th e time I stop is around 180f
I do idle up at start about 15 minutes I like my engine temp around 100 when I hit the road.
Usually first start on highway I keep around 60 mph for about 5-7 miles if I can.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:10 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Is there are reason people let diesels idle for prolonged periods before they hit the road in the morning? It's really irritating for those of us in the campground who are trying to sleep in.
Hmmm. Perhaps staying in a parking lot overnight is preferable to staying overnight in a cg/pk when traveling and needing to leave out early? I'm not a freeloader. I'm being considerate of other camper! Yep, that's it.
LMHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:11 PM   #53

Entegra Owners Club
hello all
There is a lot of great lessons and conversation here. But, I do have a few questions that were not addressed in four pages of posts.
1- Can someone define "modern" diesel?
2- I understand about the excessive idle, but is there any rule for being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for hours?

As a side note. our coach takes a full five minutes to completely air up.

Best
Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:20 PM   #54

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
hello all
There is a lot of great lessons and conversation here. But, I do have a few questions that were not addressed in four pages of posts.
2- I understand about the excessive idle, but is there any rule for being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for hours?

Best
Dr. Mike

In this context, "modern" is what the manual says. The last two or three generations, depending on manufacturer, are really modern diesels that don't have the same care and feeding as their predecessors. Your manual probably reads very similar to mine. Someone can make a more scientific statement with charts and graphs and an easel, but when we're talking about idling, we're talking about the difference between diesels built before emissions became the thing they are now and the engineering that went with it to improve fuel economy and longevity.

Idling in traffic is bad for the engine also. Avoid that if you can. I can't imagine being stuck for hours! Once in a blue moon probably won't hurt it, but on the daily it will wear things out much faster than otherwise.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:38 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Question for diesel owners

I’ve said it before but Those saying it takes more than 5 min to air up ( air to 120 psi ) and fill the airbags have a problem that would put you out of service if a commercial unit … or probably aren’t using “high idle “ …. idling at 600 700 rpm the compressor can take forever. Normally done by pushing the throttle to 1000+ rpm and turn on and set the cruise. Turn the engine off once you’ve done what you need and then finish packing up. Letting it idle while you pick up camp .. esp at slow idle is .. well…. rude and not useful for the engine. Then again most who do that really don’t care , so there’s that . Every diesel tractor ( not that much different if at all ) I’ve driven since the 90’s say to start and when oil pressure is ok drive slowly for the first few minutes. ( like out of the park). No warm up unless your well below freezing.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:58 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
hello all

Best
Dr. Mike
Modern Diesel's... The ones that use DEF with exhaust after treatment.
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel