Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2022, 12:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
We need to air up before suspension, brakes and ( believe it or not ) air throttle will work. This takes up to 10 mins during which I do final walk around, jump in and go. No need for anyone to idle more than 10 - 15 mins.
No way does it take 10 minutes.

You need to get your air system checked.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2022, 12:06 PM   #30

Imagine fire trucks idling for 10 minutes before they start their response.

I know, some have air pumps to keep them up to pressure but the ones I drove didn't.
When the low air buzzer went off, so did we.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:51 PM   #31

Question for diesel owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
No way does it take 10 minutes.

You need to get your air system checked.

Haven’t timed it, but does take close to 10 minutes to fill the suspension air bags from empty. Even when the service brake tanks are already up to pressure.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:20 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Haven’t timed it, but does take close to 10 minutes to fill the suspension air bags from empty. Even when the service brake tanks are already up to pressure.

Once I have pressure my 10 airbag Roadmaster m chassis will level from being dumped in less than 30 seconds to a minute. Something isn’t right. Your using a high idle right? Something over 1000 rpm. ? Most would consider 10 minutes approaching excessive .. esp at 7am
Old 05-14-2022, 01:24 PM   #33

First, I must apologize for all us diesel owners (and bike owners too) for being the only two classes of campers that do annoying things at the CG.

I have an old school diesel. It has to run a good ten minutes (yes, it really takes that long, and no, I'm not concerned, or looking into it) to build up air for the suspension and brakes. It's also getting lots of expensive parts like the turbo, exhaust manifold, tranny, etc up to temp.
It's right in the book.

Also in the book is a 5 minute cool down idle after the coach has been run at speed. What they mean is making boost and spinning up the turbo. Last thing you want to do is spool up the turbo to high RPM, and then shut off its oil supply. A 5 minute idle lets the turbo cool down, and slow down as much as possible before removing it's oil source.
This is also in the book.

Most diesels at idle are very quiet. I've overnighted at plenty of truck stops and rest stops mixed in with trucks that are idling all night long.
Didn't seem to be a problem to me. Still able to hear the TV just fine, still able to sleep.
My coach is parked along the side of my house, and when it's airing up, and I'm in the house, I can barely hear it.
IMO an idling diesel is not that big a deal.

Motorcycles.
I don't have a Harley, but my ride is a street legal 4 stroke off road bike.
It's a 650, single cylinder, pretty much 'half a Harley'. It's got a carb, and not fuel injection, is a kick start machine, and is very cold blooded. Once it has cooled off overnight, it's gonna have to idle for a while, otherwise it will sneeze, and die, and you'll be kicking it some more.

Let's go back to what some call, 'excessive idling'.
If I'm just fueling up, I'm not shutting down. If I'm running into Mac and Don's fast food lounge for a coke and a bag of fries for the dogs, I'm not shutting down.
IMO there is no reason to. Shutting down just adds unnecessary thermal cycles and actual engine wear. The wear come from moving parts that do not have a cushion of oil to float on. The majority of engine wear occurs during start up. Less start ups, less wear, less thermal cycles.
It's funny how political correctness has creeped into everything. Now we are going to claim it hurts the engine to idle it! There was a time when no one would question a guy idling a diesel, it was SOP. OK, sure some of these new engines have pollution control parts that can't handle idling, but it's not hurting the actual engine. I guess that is the price you pay for 'saving the planet'.
Hey, you do you, and I'll do me...

Did you know that the railroads don't shut off locomotives unless they have to be shut down for maint? I've seen cases of tied down, unattended loco's idling for weeks, even months. If this was harmful to these very big, very expensive powerplants, the RR bean counters would have long ago put a stop to this practice.

Now, let's talk about all the jerks at the CG that sit outside all night talking loud, playing their music loud, and having rock concert type lighting on their coach wrecking the night sky for everyone. Oh, and people that are early risers that let their screaming children out to play at 8am, while the rest of us are trying to sleep.
Personally, I'll take an idling diesel over all of that, any day...
Old 05-14-2022, 01:34 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club

[emoji6]And with that I rest my case on my 1st post about why long idling won’t die #20… and the OP’s question has been answered.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:54 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Once I have pressure my 10 airbag Roadmaster m chassis will level from being dumped in less than 30 seconds to a minute. Something isn’t right. Your using a high idle right? Something over 1000 rpm. ? Most would consider 10 minutes approaching excessive .. esp at 7am

Nope. Low idle. I will bump it to high idle in the morning and time it. Maybe it just seems like 10 minutes, lol. Anxious to get moving. But different system than yours. Everything seems to be working as it should. 2002 4-bag Spartan MM chassis. These 4 big bags have lots of volume.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 02:06 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
We idle for as long as it takes to air up (bags and brakes) and for me to change into my driving shoes (moccasins). This take about 4-5 min
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:58 PM   #37

From the time I start my old diesel to the time I leave the campground is no more then 5 minutes and the rest of my idle time is getting to the highway. The only time I don't shut it off even for a fill up is if I don't think it will start again like when I was having problems with my fuel solenoid.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:30 PM   #38

So....this brings up a question. It's been normal procedure to shut down a gas engine while fueling, but that's not needed with a diesel? How about in a lane that also has gas pumps?

I had never thought about it until also having problems with the fuel solenoid.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:45 PM   #39

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I shut my diesel down while fueling.

If it's just diesel pumps, I'll leave my fridge running on propane. If it has gasoline as well, I'll get the wife to shut the fridge down as I'm pulling in.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:16 AM   #40

If I have to leave early, the night before I start the coach to air up. Bring in the passenger slides and shut down. I disconnect my water and sewer hose and stow them. The next morning, the air is still there to pull in the full wall slide. I do that and then go unplug the 50 amp plug. Than start up, air up the slight amount I am down and go.
I try to be as quiet as possible.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:58 AM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry1 View Post
Most of the time it’s to warm up the engine, the engine oil, and the antifreeze/water temperature.

It’s not good for the engine to be put under stress/strain (especially when it’s needed to tow the trailer) when the engine is cold.

Same goes with letting it idle for a few minutes after running it hard. It allows the engine and components to cool down before turning it off.
Agree with others this is not needed. Cummins says we should wait just long enough to air up the brakes (a minute or two in warm weather, longer in cold for mine), then go. I disconnect everything possible the night before, including the electric if I don’t need AC or electric heat, get up, have a cup of coffee, shower, get dressed, then turn on the engine to high idle to bring in the slides and raise the levelers. The brakes air up while I am doing that, and we pull out. Entire “on time” for the diesel is about 3-4 minutes.

Diesel engines are tough. As others have noted, cool down is much more important than a warm up. We have found by the time we get off the high way and to our campground our turbo temps are fine.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:09 AM   #42

It all depends on how noisy my neighbors are late at night on how long I warm up early in the morning.

Tags
diesel