Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2022, 02:51 PM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
One should idle the engine to get the temperatures up to speed. After that there is no added value. Low idle can create buildups in the system, but high idle (1,000 rpm) is more like driving down the road. I have to idle for about 15 minutes because of the sequence when taking off. Turn engine on, retract jacks then pull in slides (a Newmar thing), then unhook stuff so I don't hit my head on extended slide outs.
righellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2022, 02:52 PM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I start the engine when I'm serious about its time to go. Unfortunately my wife's time is not always in-sync with my time, so we may sit there for a few minutes while she finishes whatever she is finishing.

And I totally agree with others, I like things warmed up a little before rolling, like the heater in the winter, the air conditioner in the summer already blowing cold, etc before hitting freeway speed.

Separately but related, we have a Ford GT350 and I very specifically start it up and let it get the oil temperature up before I drive it with any harshness. I like to know that lubrication is flowing good when I'm getting on it! Obsoletely necessary, no, but makes me feel better before pulling 8k on the tach.

I have a chain saw and I let it idle for a couple of minutes too, I want the rings warmed up before I get to rev'ing the engine on it. My belief that it will wear better over years of ownership by doing that.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:53 PM   #73

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry1 View Post
Same goes with letting it idle for a few minutes after running it hard. It allows the engine and components to cool down before turning it off.
On my diesel Sierra, if you turn it off and the sensors indicate that it's too hot and needs to cool down, the truck will restart on its own and idle until it's properly cooled down, then turn itself off.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:55 PM   #74

Start Up

I don't have to worry about air pressure since I now pull a fiver with a Ford 6.7 but I like to let the engine run for 3-5 minutes before putting it in drive just to let it loosen up a little. That said, that's usually the last thing I do before hooking up or pulling out.
Klieva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:57 PM   #75

Thor Owners Club
idling

I turn my block heater on the night before as it helps the engine start warmer and once it airs up after a couple of minutes I leave my campsite. Drive with low throttle for a few miles as able before hitting the Highway.
Greasy Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:58 PM   #76

"Question To Diesel Owners"

Replying to the question, my guess is that these RV owners insist on not using quality synthetic lubricants in their RV engines and transmissions.
rudyhiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:59 PM   #77

You should warm up a heavy deisel for a minute or 2 before driving. 3 to 5 before using full power. Most of that can be done while leaving the park or on a small secondary road before hitting a highway. My rig takes about 4 to 5 minutes to build air before I can remove the parking brake.

Anything more than 5 minutes is not good for it. Diesels after 2007 have EGR's and exhaust filter systems which get full of soot if you let them idle too much. My 20 year old heavy diesel does not suffer from that issue as badly.

Those who warm up until the temp gets to full operating temperature are not doing their engine, or neighbors any favors. However I have found many in this RV world have some pretty strongly help opinions about things they do not necessairly understand but their dad, or a friend who "knows" told them.

The harleys definately don't need to be warmed up that long. 1 minute is plenty.

In case you are wondering, when cold, oil is thick, pistions and rings don't fit quite as well into the cylinder etc. If you start cold and immediately hit full throttle you will likely eventually blow a head gasket, or worse and definately cause blow by issues in the future.
AirBossdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:00 PM   #78

Don, why does the engine need to run when you activate slides?
Chadsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:03 PM   #79

There's a couple of reasons for letting a diesel idle. To air up the system before heading out on the road and to let it cool down after being on the road to shut it down.
RH401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:10 PM   #80

[QUOTE=Unplanned Tourist;6184887]Cummins, DD, Cat and IHC have advised against extended idle time since the 1990s......

Finally after 5 pages of IRV2 diesel engine engineers presenting absolute opinions, something we can take to the bank. Thank you. As far as the OP's question as to why people cannot conform to her sleep schedule, it is a campground with rigs packed together. Try boondocking but then you may complain about smoke from a campsite a quarter mile away. Folks coming and going, setting up and breaking camp at their convenience (not yours) is part of the experience. Embrace it or find another recreation. I am sorry, I have no sympathy for you.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:11 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Is there are reason people let diesels idle for prolonged periods before they hit the road in the morning? It's really irritating for those of us in the campground who are trying to sleep in. Had a couple of Harley riders do the same thing recently, so it's not exclusively a diesel thing.
They need to build up air pressure to be able to stop. So it’s a pretty essential part of the diesel experience.
chisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:18 PM   #82

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Was told by Cummins, after all my DEF issues, DO NOT LEAVE THEM IDLE,the newer engines do not need it.
Arty1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:22 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Is there are reason people let diesels idle for prolonged periods before they hit the road in the morning? It's really irritating for those of us in the campground who are trying to sleep in. Had a couple of Harley riders do the same thing recently, so it's not exclusively a diesel thing.
To air up the suspension, bring the slides in, retract the stabilizers and perhaps top off the air in the tire(s). That said, I would rather hear the diesel idling than hear the incessantly barking dogs that a lot of people have and don't correct!! I HATE inconsiderate dog owners.
GrumpyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:27 PM   #84

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
[QUOTE=frizfreleng;6186927]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Cummins, DD, Cat and IHC have advised against extended idle time since the 1990s......

Finally after 5 pages of IRV2 diesel engine engineers presenting absolute opinions, something we can take to the bank. Thank you. As far as the OP's question as to why people cannot conform to her sleep schedule, it is a campground with rigs packed together. Try boondocking but then you may complain about smoke from a campsite a quarter mile away. Folks coming and going, setting up and breaking camp at their convenience (not yours) is part of the experience. Embrace it or find another recreation. I am sorry, I have no sympathy for you.

Pretty sure no one was looking for sympathy, certainly not from you. Your "embrace it..” attitude doesn’t even hold water! You should know there is certainly camping site etiquette, and this would fall into that category.

Don’t discourage other members from asking questions. By the amount of responses you should understand it is an issue, whether for mechanical reasons or etiquette-related reasons. Be respectful of others and don’t comment if it isn’t something for you.
Vagabond51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel