RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #1

Question for the 45' owners

DW and I are looking at getting a Tiffin 45OPP but are wondering if those of you who have the larger coaches regret getting one and wish you had gotten a smaller coach.

How limited have you been in your travels with the longer coach? We are doing our research since this is such a large purchase.
NitroxAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #2

It really depends on what type of camping you like to do. Full hookups or dry camping. When full timing we had a 45’ rig because we wanted the space and storage. Did very little dry camping. Always had reservations before we left where we were. Stayed in a place for 2 to 4 weeks. Knew up front that we would for the most part be staying outside of state and national parks. Worked out great. Now that we are part timers we down sized to the 32’ class c so we could do more dry camping and stay in state and national parks. So it goes back to what type of camping do you plan on doing? Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 11-29-2020, 08:34 AM   #3

I have been able to get into any place I wanted with my Tiffin 34QGP (actually 44' long) We have never regretted going to a larger coach. The tag and IFS provide the best ride and stability. The 45OPP is an excellent choice. You will be happy with it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
DW and I are looking at getting a Tiffin 45OPP but are wondering if those of you who have the larger coaches regret getting one and wish you had gotten a smaller coach.

How limited have you been in your travels with the longer coach? We are doing our research since this is such a large purchase.
Do you have a coach now and if so how big is it? How do you plan on using this new coach? Lots of things to take into consideration as mentioned. 45 footers have more room but they almost always have the 1/2 bath and more bathroom space and we did not really want all that which is why we chose not to go that large. My previous coach was 41 feet and I wanted something just a bit shorter. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post

First this has been discussed since people have been RV'ing - so IMHO the best reply is to get the Floor Plan that works for YOU. -

The issue generally is just getting the Reservation - not the Length - JMHO -

We have NOT Been Limited in our Travels - in our 50 + years, starting with 17' and now in 43' - the issue is not fitting, but finding an Open Space - what we normally look for is a Dispersed Site - Boondocking - from Wal*Mart to National Forests - National Parks - State Parks - ...... - to Stadium Parking Lots - the only issue we usually encounter is just getting in, not being, too Long. -

So items, in order, to Consider in your choice;
  1. Floor Plan
  2. Manufacturer
  3. Floor Plan
  4. Manufacturer
  5. Floor Plan
  6. Engine Size
  7. Floor Plan
  8. Toad
  9. Floor Plan
  10. Manufacturer

JMHO,

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Took a trip from TX to WA 2 years ago. There were many places our 41' just barely fit. Another 4' would not.
Many St Parks only have sites maxed out at 40'.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We are only 41+ but in virtually all places we have been a 45 would have fit. You of course do need to pick a little more carefully ..... We do a lot of SW boondocking and have had no issues. In fact we have more comfort and can stay “out” longer than most of our friends in smaller rigs. Of course no class A can be the same as a van in real “off road” back country .
We do not generally do national parks or tiny state parks , rather we stay just outside in a pvt park and day trip in. We have however camp hosted in Oregon state parks several times with no issues but of course not all sites are usable . What is your perspective on needing to be in the “wild” vs having a home base to explore tiny back roads from ?
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:20 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Floor plan #1? Not for me.
Sure it needs to look good - but i don't care much about which side the kitchen is on or whether or not the head of the bed is facing the rear or side, or if the Shower is across from the toilet, etc.

My priorities:
# 1 Year (between 2000 - 2006)
# 2 Manufacturer (one of the top four). No odd balls (which makes it harder to get parts)
# 3 Overall Condition - well maintained, minimal aesthetic wear on outside and inside. Good paint.
# 4 Engine/trans (pre DEF, SCR, etc.). Around 12HP, or higher, per foot of Coach length
# 5 Tag Axle for Coaches 40ft and longer.
# 6 No multiplexing (I don't want all the Coach functions controlled by obsolete equipment. I like the idea that I can troubleshoot electrical issue with a test light. Unless the multiplexing system is still in production.
# 7 Extra points if the Coach has good wiring diagrams and service manuals available.

somewhere below here is where I would add in the Floor plan.
CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #9

All good experienced advice above. I will add this as an example for your consideration. Please verify my data as my memory has become limited.

Big Bend National Park in South Central Texas is an amazing site to see. It has four campgrounds and takes almost a day to drive across.

One camp ground is dry with no dump site and is only open in peak season. Generators are not allowed. It is in the desert. I don't know what length restrictions are there.

One is in a mountain oasis. Roads to and through are narrow and winding. Trucks, trailers, and RV's are limited to 26 feet. It has a dump site with water.

One is a full service RV parking lot type. It is limited to 30 feet.

One is a standard dry camping campground. It has a dump site with water. Some sites accommodate 40 foot RV's.

Big Bend also has dispersed boon dock sites capable of hosting big rigs. The road to one group of boon dock sites was blocked by a large overturned rig for several months.

Where do you want to go?
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Wish I had a 50 footer for all wife’s stuff
Old 11-29-2020, 06:37 PM   #11

Our problem is we have 3 kids. My wife wants a model with bunk beds, which really limits our selection. I want large holding tanks so that if we do boondock, we can last longer before having to dump. So far our selection comes down to a Tiffin 40QBK or a Fleetwood Discovery 40G. The Discovery actually has marginally larger tanks but my impression is the Tiffin is better quality. Both are a hair over 40'. And we'd need to tow something - maybe the new Ford Bronco?

For you folks that boondock with your class A's, just how far off road are you taking these buses? I can't imagine driving one of these things anywhere rougher than a flat dirt road.
TheLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:45 PM   #12

We have a 45 footer. We've been in city, county, state and fed parks. Size usually is not the problem. Trees and branches are a bigger problem. We never dry camp, ever, unless we are tired and pull into a rest stop. Communication with the co pilot is critical at times to get into a spot. The mirrors have blind spots. I think the only reason we would downsize would be due to health issues. As long as I can drive the thing and can see where it's going, we love our 45 footer. A condo on wheels. There are plenty of parks you can get into, public and private.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal OV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLex View Post
Our problem is we have 3 kids. My wife wants a model with bunk beds, which really limits our selection. I want large holding tanks so that if we do boondock, we can last longer before having to dump. So far our selection comes down to a Tiffin 40QBK or a Fleetwood Discovery 40G. The Discovery actually has marginally larger tanks but my impression is the Tiffin is better quality. Both are a hair over 40'. And we'd need to tow something - maybe the new Ford Bronco?

For you folks that boondock with your class A's, just how far off road are you taking these buses? I can't imagine driving one of these things anywhere rougher than a flat dirt road.
With the three kids - get the largest tanks they make. -

Just a note on where we take the Coach - Most Dispersed Camp Sites are on Gravel Roads - so - surprisingly many are as smooth as some/many of the highways/roads we have had to endure, in the South West - some aren't - so if needed, we just Slow Way Down! (this summer we endured a couple washboards that lasted 18 + miles not fun)

We tow a GX470 - just like a 4Runner - will go anywhere, so we get into the area - then go where we want with the Toad.

Be sure the toad is Good on the road and has room for the Kids and Your/Their Toys.

Think you are on the right track.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:31 PM   #14

Our coach is 42’. We are on the East coast and like state parks. Many are back in and max out at 40’. I have no problem lying about 2 additional feet, but feel lying about 5 additional feet would be a stretch. Many of the 40’ spots we have taken we fill completely once you park a car in front, so a 45’ with car would not always fit. I don’t think driving a 45’ would ever be the issue. If you are planning on campground with pull throughs for a 45’ coach, you are probably golden.
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2011 Subaru Outback Toad
MarylandRich is offline   Reply With Quote