RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,038
Question: Freightliner FrED

Does the Freightliner FRont Engine Diesel utilize air bags or leaf springs for the suspension? How about braking, air of hydraulic?



My interest has been piqued. I was browsing and came across a 2008 Gulfstream Crescendo and was curious. It seemed like a good price, and was just barely under my maximum length preference of 34'.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Sweetbriar's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,148
Leafs and hydraulics no compressed air from the chassis.


https://www.fcccrv.com/wp-content/up...C1002-2008.pdf
__________________
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,038
Hmm, no clear advantage...

except for the lovely grumble of a Cummins ISB at your feet as you stroll along the highway at a leisurely 1,500 rpm.

I do like the diesel engine and Allison transmission over the current powertrain offered on my F-53. I just wonder if the added cost is worth it.

FYI - I came to the Class A word from fivers hauled by a Cummins, so I do miss the low revving grunt of a diesel - along with the efficiency.

We still have one Dodge HD pickup with the Cummins and NV5600. It is used for hauling our cattle, hay, equipment or whatever.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Does the Freightliner FRont Engine Diesel utilize air bags or leaf springs for the suspension? How about braking, air of hydraulic?



My interest has been piqued. I was browsing and came across a 2008 Gulfstream Crescendo and was curious. It seemed like a good price, and was just barely under my maximum length preference of 34'.
You may or may not have a S.O., but FLOORPLAN should be where you start, then add in towing, rear or front engine, and a Whole lot of other stuff...

We LOVE our shorty 32 footer, an it isn't because I can hit 12MPG towing our 5K lb Toad (27K total).... It is how comfortable the unit is inside! And well there is the AR side of me that wants the complete reliability of a 3000 series Allison, and I think the 5.9 Cummins can run just fine at 1700 RPM, all, day, long...

That would be about 60-61 MPH, for those of you in a hurry or don't care about fuel consumption...

Good luck in your decision...

Scott
__________________
2003 32TD Itasca Horizon with 2004 Jeep Rubicon Toad, 2005 Bigfoot 9.5 on 2007 Ford F350SRW 4x4 6.0 diesel.
diesel-dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel-dan View Post
You may or may not have a S.O., but FLOORPLAN should be where you start, then add in towing, rear or front engine, and a Whole lot of other stuff...

We LOVE our shorty 32 footer, an it isn't because I can hit 12MPG towing our 5K lb Toad (27K total).... It is how comfortable the unit is inside! And well there is the AR side of me that wants the complete reliability of a 3000 series Allison, and I think the 5.9 Cummins can run just fine at 1700 RPM, all, day, long...

That would be about 60-61 MPH, for those of you in a hurry or don't care about fuel consumption...

Good luck in your decision...

Scott
Oh, the wife is an important part of any decision. But, like me, she's a fan of diesels. The one truck we kept was the one we bought her new. Right off the lot. She absolutely loves the NV5600 and Common Rail 24 valve ISB. Our other trucks were VP-44 injected 24 valve ISB's with the NV4500 and NV5600. The funny thing is, my wife would load up the big aluminum show cattle trailer and head off with no problems at all - yet she is hesitant to drive our 30' Class A motor home.

She has remarked on more than one occasion that the V-10 seems to be quite rev-happy at times. She isn't complaining about the noise - it's actually quieter than a 12V, but she notices the RPM and once you've been conditioned to low-end torque, it does seem to be a bit concerning on long climbs (above 3,500 rpm).
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Oh, the wife is an important part of any decision. But, like me, she's a fan of diesels. The one truck we kept was the one we bought her new. Right off the lot. She absolutely loves the NV5600 and Common Rail 24 valve ISB. Our other trucks were VP-44 injected 24 valve ISB's with the NV4500 and NV5600. The funny thing is, my wife would load up the big aluminum show cattle trailer and head off with no problems at all - yet she is hesitant to drive our 30' Class A motor home.

She has remarked on more than one occasion that the V-10 seems to be quite rev-happy at times. She isn't complaining about the noise - it's actually quieter than a 12V, but she notices the RPM and once you've been conditioned to low-end torque, it does seem to be a bit concerning on long climbs (above 3,500 rpm).
The later V10s have most all the kinks worked out and are reliable. We had the same issue (Wife goes on her own trips horse camping), so the rig was just as much for her as both of us. We found a dealer with a 32' Journey (pretty much the same as what we ended up with) and he took us out for a test drive (well maybe it was more a "driver's ed" course). Had the Wife drive it first, because if she was uncomfortable, we'd be moving to another class rig -- non-starter.

Our friends had an '08 Class B+ with the V10 and it towed their horse trailer no problem. It does rev, but it had plenty of power and the Torqshift transmission is very stout. It is and feels a whole lot smaller than a class A... While driving one can be intimidating, boy is it comfy once you get settled in...

Yours is out there -- just have to find it!

Best of luck,
Scott
__________________
2003 32TD Itasca Horizon with 2004 Jeep Rubicon Toad, 2005 Bigfoot 9.5 on 2007 Ford F350SRW 4x4 6.0 diesel.
diesel-dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel-dan View Post
The later V10s have most all the kinks worked out and are reliable. We had the same issue (Wife goes on her own trips horse camping), so the rig was just as much for her as both of us. We found a dealer with a 32' Journey (pretty much the same as what we ended up with) and he took us out for a test drive (well maybe it was more a "driver's ed" course). Had the Wife drive it first, because if she was uncomfortable, we'd be moving to another class rig -- non-starter.

Our friends had an '08 Class B+ with the V10 and it towed their horse trailer no problem. It does rev, but it had plenty of power and the Torqshift transmission is very stout. It is and feels a whole lot smaller than a class A... While driving one can be intimidating, boy is it comfy once you get settled in...

Yours is out there -- just have to find it!

Best of luck,
Scott

Journey, isn't that the same as the Itasca Meridian - a DP? Man, 32' would be perfect for us!


Don't get me wrong, the 3 valve V-10 and 5 speed Torqshift have been surprisingly capable - it just takes some getting used to when you are revving at 4,000 rpm when pulling an extended grade.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Sweetbriar's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Journey, isn't that the same as the Itasca Meridian - a DP? Man, 32' would be perfect for us!


Don't get me wrong, the 3 valve V-10 and 5 speed Torqshift have been surprisingly capable - it just takes some getting used to when you are revving at 4,000 rpm when pulling an extended grade.
I just think of it as the sound of 415 cubic inches Detroit steel rather than 73 cubic inch Tokyo aluminum.
__________________
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Journey, isn't that the same as the Itasca Meridian - a DP? Man, 32' would be perfect for us!


Don't get me wrong, the 3 valve V-10 and 5 speed Torqshift have been surprisingly capable - it just takes some getting used to when you are revving at 4,000 rpm when pulling an extended grade.
Yes, the foundations are the same (all Winnebago). We looked at quite a few and were really only interested in one with the Allison MH3000, which is just plain overkill in a 32' MH. What I found was that these units were produced for model years 2002 through 2006, just a five year run. All of them have the same floorplan and floorplan options -- we like the fact that the booth is across from the couch and that with slides in you can still move anywhere in the rig.

Back on that monster transmission: it was optional on the Journeys, so you have to know what year what options are paired with that trans (many times if it had the aluminum rims, it had the 3000). But moving up the line to Itasca, they seemed to mostly come with the 3000 trans and whole bunch of other features were standard versus being an option on the Journey. I believe the model levels go from Journey up to Itasca Horizon then to Itasca Meridian being the top of the line.

There is a ton of other stuff I learned along our search, but we are darn happy with what we were able to find: it fits us and a short wheelbase DP turns on a dime! We have a long driveway with tight turns, so that was important, as well as dry horse camping it gets around tight spots (note I didn't say UNDER, it is still tall, but with basement ACs is less tall that other class As).

Be happy to share more if you want...

Scott
__________________
2003 32TD Itasca Horizon with 2004 Jeep Rubicon Toad, 2005 Bigfoot 9.5 on 2007 Ford F350SRW 4x4 6.0 diesel.
diesel-dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel-dan View Post
What I found was that these units were produced for model years 2002 through 2006, just a five year run. All of them have the same floorplan and floorplan options -- we like the fact that the booth is across from the couch and that with slides in you can still move anywhere in the rig.
There is a ton of other stuff I learned along our search, but we are darn happy with what we were able to find: it fits us and a short wheelbase DP turns on a dime! We have a long driveway with tight turns, so that was important, as well as dry horse camping it gets around tight spots (note I didn't say UNDER, it is still tall, but with basement ACs is less tall that other class As).

Be happy to share more if you want...

Scott
It sure sounds like a great combination. I can get by with the standard Allison - 5K towing is more than enough to drag the JK or YJ around with. If there is anything heavier that needs to be hauled, I would probably be more comfortable putting that behind our 2500 Dodge (ISB/NV5600).

Looking at the floor plans, one of the many positive features is that the bed is mounted fore/aft - so you have easy access to both sides with the bedroom slide in. On our Sightseer, one person has to crawl over the other in the middle of the night to get to the bathroom. The one negative attribute is having the refrigerator in the slide. From anecdotal reports I have heard that the air flow is not ideal and sometimes the cooling suffers during warmer days. I have seen where muffin fans were installed to improve the air circulation in the rear of the refrigerator compartment and that seemed to help some.

We may be looking to upgrade in about 12 to 18 months. I will keep the Journey/Meridian in mind.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
It sure sounds like a great combination. I can get by with the standard Allison - 5K towing is more than enough to drag the JK or YJ around with. If there is anything heavier that needs to be hauled, I would probably be more comfortable putting that behind our 2500 Dodge (ISB/NV5600).

Looking at the floor plans, one of the many positive features is that the bed is mounted fore/aft - so you have easy access to both sides with the bedroom slide in. On our Sightseer, one person has to crawl over the other in the middle of the night to get to the bathroom. The one negative attribute is having the refrigerator in the slide. From anecdotal reports I have heard that the air flow is not ideal and sometimes the cooling suffers during warmer days. I have seen where muffin fans were installed to improve the air circulation in the rear of the refrigerator compartment and that seemed to help some.

We may be looking to upgrade in about 12 to 18 months. I will keep the Journey/Meridian in mind.
We have had zero problems with our fridge in any temp, but ours falls in a narrow model range that are ok (like don't catch on fire ). Well, other than the ice maker supply valve -- for some reason they all seem to have hose bib inlets necked down to a 1/4" line - like all hoses I've ever had, they leak at the rubber washer. I made a permanent fix by finding a replacement valve for a residential fridge - straight 1/4" inlet. Some day I'll post up my fix with picts here...

If/when you start shopping get back to me and I'll tell you all the things I found to look for/ask about...

Scott
__________________
2003 32TD Itasca Horizon with 2004 Jeep Rubicon Toad, 2005 Bigfoot 9.5 on 2007 Ford F350SRW 4x4 6.0 diesel.
diesel-dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel-dan View Post
We have had zero problems with our fridge in any temp, but ours falls in a narrow model range that are ok (like don't catch on fire ). Well, other than the ice maker supply valve -- for some reason they all seem to have hose bib inlets necked down to a 1/4" line - like all hoses I've ever had, they leak at the rubber washer. I made a permanent fix by finding a replacement valve for a residential fridge - straight 1/4" inlet. Some day I'll post up my fix with picts here...

If/when you start shopping get back to me and I'll tell you all the things I found to look for/ask about...

Scott
Good to hear that there are no cooling issues with having the top vent in the side wall rather than through the roof.


I hope that we will be able to look sooner than later - but that is all driven by my work schedule.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
freightliner



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Fred or Not To FRED auburnej Class A Motorhome Discussions 15 10-07-2007 10:22 AM
To FRED or Not FRED auburnej Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum 3 08-15-2007 01:55 PM
Freightliner FRed? FullAstern Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 3 03-04-2006 05:19 PM
Freightliner "FRED" chassis tomsm Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 9 08-14-2005 11:08 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.