Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2021, 12:59 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Question - high altitudes?

Good day to you all, I have a question.
We’ll be at Yellowstone NP @ 8000’ - 7 days and Jackson Hole @ 6000’ - a couple of days, what kind of problems will these altitudes cause - for instance the refrigerator? The AC units? The propane use for Hot Water - BBQ etc? My tire pressures, this one I’m sure I don’t have to worry about because eventually I’ll be descending at some point. And then there is the effect on my body and the shape I’m in, but we don’t have to discuss this point .. Thanks for your time.
Paul
pdcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2021, 01:05 PM   #2

None
Sandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:10 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Generators and non-turbo engines produce less power at altitude. I have read that propane burning appliances will run rich at altitude as well.

Generators lose 3% power for every 1000ft above sea level.

I do know when I’m hiking above 7000 ft I start to breathe really hard!

Thankfully I believe my CPAP compensates for altitude!
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:17 PM   #4

Everything with your motorhome will be fine. We have been there several times in a coach with propane appliances and now, with our all electric coach and did not change or modify a thing. Your body, however, will need a little adjustment time.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:18 PM   #5

We're currently boondocking at 8,200 feet in Utah. Been above 7,500 feet for at least a month (we stay in the higher elevations to avoid the heat). No issues with equipment whatsoever.

Any activity will make you feel a little out of breath at first so take it easy. It did take us a couple of weeks to get acclimated to the 7,500 feet but we're 100% now.
RS ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:51 PM   #6

Onan generators have an altitude adjustment on them. This is my 7000 watt unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210515_134618.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	328371  
Old 05-15-2021, 02:23 PM   #7

Propane water heaters, propane fridges, propane furnaces CAN have ignition issues and when lit may produce some sooting due to being fuel rich

Some do....some don't
LP System pressure is very low (0.39psi/11"WC) so air/fuel ratio is critical

IF---IF you have propane issues..open the access panels/doors and see how they behave
If--IF you have issues

Tire Pressure......
Adjust the PSI on AM of travel day as they will be higher due to the higher elevation
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:23 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our home is at 7,000 feet. I don't even consider that high altitude. We camp well above that up to about 10,000 ft. The Onan generator is always setting at the the 7,000' level adjustment. Otherwise the water heater and stuff may burn a little rich, but I don't bother adjusting anything if only staying for a week or so.

For your body remember to drink lots more water than you're use to. Our air is thin and frequently very dry. Our relative humidity here has been running about 4-7%. You will lose water and never break a sweat. First sign is usually a headache. Get lots of rest for the first 24-48 hours.

Yes, generators will lose about 3% of rated power output for every 1,000 ft gain, just adjust what you try to run at the same time.

For tires, I would not worry about the difference in air pressure, but our morning at higher elevations can be very cool. Sometimes there will be frost on the grass at 8,000 ft in the early morning and snow can happen any month at higher elevations. I've had 6" on July 4 at 10,000 ft.

The point about tires is the cold inflation issue. At sunrise the tire pressures may be low due to ambient air temp. Then by mid-late morning with the air warming up the tire temps may be coming back up along with their pressure. If you have to leave the campground early you're be driving on under-inflated tires for a while until the driving warms them enough. The other option becomes trying to top-off the tires for the low temp and then faced with over-inflated tires latter after air temp and driving has warmed the tires. You NEVER deflated hot tires! I will frequently see my tire pressures drop below -10% rule I use on my TPMS and thus the low pressure alarm sounds- pain.

In the end, we seldom get out of camp that early and I run slightly under-inflated tires for a short time. I will not play the swat a mole game with tire pressures.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:38 PM   #9

To clarify the "tire pressure issue".

VERY little pressure change with altitude.

Reasonably significant pressure change with temperature.

Since we have spent many summers in Angel Fire NM (8,300') much of the "is my tire pressure OK" depends on how early we want to drive. Ya, sounds funny, but at the elevations where you can have a daily 40-50 degree temperature swing you need to pay attention. Even in our car with built in TPMS, it can be screaming LOW PSI if we leave Angel Fire early in the morning, but by the time we are half way to Taos all is good with the world.

NET/NET: Don't get too carried away with PSI, but do make sure you do not plan to drive too many miles with PSI below your tire manufacturer's recommended minimum for your actual weight.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:43 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Excellent info, thanks everyone ..
rarebear.nm nice post, thanks, we’ll also remember to drink more water ( good thinking), we don’t leave early either so not going to worry about tire pressure .
I took note of the reduced power, and the “if’s” - and being able to adjust gen for altitudes.
RS O Donnell, you guys must be in pretty good shape, that’s quite a long time to be above 7500’ - good for you guys!!
Thanks again .. Paul
pdcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:47 PM   #11

We went from sea level to 9200 feet at arches National Park in 2 days & then hiking. Suffered a little altitude sicknesses. Headache, irritable.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjohn View Post
We went from sea level to 9200 feet at arches National Park in 2 days & then hiking. Suffered a little altitude sicknesses. Headache, irritable.

Yup, we have experienced the same-- frog level (League City, TX) to 8,300' (Angel Fire) in two days.

Take it easy for the first day or two. Said another way, don't go for a long hike when you arrive at altitude. Been there, done that.
Old 05-15-2021, 03:15 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club

Altitude sickness? I am irritable and have a headache all the time.[emoji12]
Old 05-15-2021, 04:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjohn View Post
I'm not sure where you were, but the highest point in Arches National Park is Elephant Butte at 5653'. The visitor center is the lowest point at 4085'.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote