Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2016, 01:30 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question on Securing Interior Cargoes from Breakage / Rattling

How to you secure your interior cabinet cargoes from breakage and/or rattling?

Newbies, outfitting our DP we would like to incorporate methods that aid in storing and protecting small personal items such as kitchen and dining dish-ware (i.e. plates, glassware) so that they won't get broken or rattle when traveling.

Would like to hear (read) from others what they do to store and protect such items.

Also curious about decorations, do you store them away each time (i.e.. flower vases, small table decorations, etc.) or do you use something such as florist tape, silicone, etc. to hold them in place such that you don't have to deal with packing them away each and every time you move your coach?

Will appreciate some feedback including any product recommendations.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2016, 01:58 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I use the clear quake hold but the regular stuff works just as well.

QuakeHOLD! - Protection for Collectibles
jpm777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:40 AM   #3

We put a coffee filter and/or a section of paper towel between plates, bowls, etc. Same for pots and pans that fit inside one another or a small dish rag. I don't like a lot of fragile stuff in the coach. Vases get secured in a sink or compartment wrapped in a towel. Coffee pots stored in dishwasher while traveling. Toaster with roll of paper towels inside the micro. Anything on the counter or table is likely to end up on the floor and could easily get under a slide, therefore nothing gets left on them.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:11 AM   #4

I bought some pool noodles (they come in two different diameters) and cut them up into 10" lengths. I usu them to fill any otherwise unused space in the cabinets. That seems to prevent things from moving around.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #5

Go to a Walmart and find the kitchen shelf liner section. There will be rolls of a pebbly rubber there in various colors. It's quite soft and has a number of pin holes in it that are easily visible through the packaging material. We use it under the dishes and pans to keep things like dish stacks from walking around in the cabinets. We also cut strips and put it between stacked bowls and pots that tend to rattle on each other. DW is a bird dog about rattles and if something starts jingling she's back there with the shelf liner and scissors until she's got it quieted down.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have the non-slip shelf liner in all the cabinets and have never had a problem!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:26 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you all. This was the feedback we were looking for including both the gels/waxes and liner materials.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
How to you secure your interior cabinet cargoes from breakage and/or rattling?

Newbies, outfitting our DP we would like to incorporate methods that aid in storing and protecting small personal items such as kitchen and dining dish-ware (i.e. plates, glassware) so that they won't get broken or rattle when traveling.

Would like to hear (read) from others what they do to store and protect such items.

Also curious about decorations, do you store them away each time (i.e.. flower vases, small table decorations, etc.) or do you use something such as florist tape, silicone, etc. to hold them in place such that you don't have to deal with packing them away each and every time you move your coach?

Will appreciate some feedback including any product recommendations.
I bought two dozen each of good cotton dish towels and dish rags and napkins.

They make good padding material, and they have other uses as well - like allowing me to go a longer time between laundry loads.

I'm using some silicone baking mats for trivets/holding cat food and water dishes in place. The Kitzini ones in particular are really sticky and hold about anything in place.

Using some Sterilite small ultra-basket containers (a dozen of 'em for $31) and Sterilite slim storage trays (a dozen for $16)

Dumped all my stoneware and bought Corelle, it takes up 1/3 the space and less rattle prone (or at least rattles aren't as loud as with stoneware) and less likely to crack the tile floor when I drop 'em.

I bought Silipint pint and half pint glasses, squishy silicone ones. That way I can just throw them in the cupboards or wedge them between pots and pans to keep shifting to a minimum.

The Camco double-refrigerator bars helped a bit, not elegant by any means but they keep stuff from sliding off the fridge shelf.

All seems to work well so far (though I'm a total noob and have less than 2,600 miles total on the best so there may be some horrific down side to the way I'm doing it)
dphaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:01 PM   #9

I think you'll find with your Newmar that the ride is so smooth than nothing will shift around. We even had a cup of coffee setting on the kitchen counter which didn't spill a drop for the day's trip.... not that I'd recommend doing that! We turned wine glasses upside down so they didn't ride on the stems. Our Corelle never broke and we didn't pad it. We were full-timers so we traveled with everything we owned so our cabinets didn't have extra space. If your has a lot of space use it to store extra paper towels, etc. Enjoy your travels!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:05 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The key for us is to stuff the cabinets. Being full timers, every cabinet is packed so we don't have issues with breakage on the road. We kind of gave up on trying to silence rattles.
Non-skid countertop material keeps the toaster and coffee pot in place no matter what the road conditions. Loose stuff like papertowel holders, tea kettles and the books that won't fit in the cabinets all go on the bed and get wrapped in the spread.
We used to use felt circles between the dishes but that became a pita because we move so often. We gave that up and now they rattle a little but no big deal. Pots and pans are separated by pot holders to protect teflon surfaces, not to prevent rattles. Glass mixing bowls banging against each other are very LOUD so we still use the felt pads between them.
Glassware, especially stemware is an issue. They will break by banging into each other. We have a felt divider that the PO installed that keep the smaller pieces intact, and we keep plastic mesh sleeves on the tall glasses.
We use the same sleeves on every other wine bottle to keep them from banging around. They don't break, but they are noisy.
Stuff in the pantry and the fridge rattle a lot. So far, nothing has broken in route, but we are really careful opening the fridge the first time after a trip. A few things have broken that on the tile floor. Arrange items on the pantry shelves to minimize spaces by consolidating items, even if that means a few empty shelves.
One issue we have had is securing large drawers that hold heavy items like cooking gear and wine. Taking corners too fast can launch a drawer right through the plastic stops at the end of the slides. I have added stop blocks to prevent the drawers from flying off the slides.
Since we full time, the bedroom closet is really packed. The closet pole collapsed one day, dumping all the clothes. The fittings holding it up were a joke. I supported the ends with blocks and added a center support post to the floor.

Cheers,

Tags
interior