Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #1

Hi all I have been reading and reading, and it seems that everyone has probems with their MH, and everyone has a different make and model. I know from talking to mechanics and car owners which autos are considered the most dependable and well built, but I can't tell which MH would be the most dependable. I am not talking about the most expensive compared to the cheaper models, I am wondering which is the most dependable MH out there, the one's that hold up the best, regardless of price. Also, how many different makes and models are there? As many as cars? I know maintenance is important. Which MH, if taken care of, is considered the best made? Is there anyone out there who's MH has never had any kind of problem? I would like to know the top three to keep in mind, when looking to buy. Any tips on what to look for are greatly welcome.

330 Cummins on Spartan Chassis
mottybri is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #2

Hi all I have been reading and reading, and it seems that everyone has probems with their MH, and everyone has a different make and model. I know from talking to mechanics and car owners which autos are considered the most dependable and well built, but I can't tell which MH would be the most dependable. I am not talking about the most expensive compared to the cheaper models, I am wondering which is the most dependable MH out there, the one's that hold up the best, regardless of price. Also, how many different makes and models are there? As many as cars? I know maintenance is important. Which MH, if taken care of, is considered the best made? Is there anyone out there who's MH has never had any kind of problem? I would like to know the top three to keep in mind, when looking to buy. Any tips on what to look for are greatly welcome.

Old 04-06-2006, 06:08 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You will get all kinds of answers on those questions. You need to identify what YOU are looking for in a MH and what price range you are comfortable with. What kind of traveling are you going to do? How many people /pets will be in the MH? How much room do you need?
Do you want / need a diesel?
Do you like Ford or GM? Where will your service be performed? This is a big question. Most of the major manufacturers have good MH avaiable. They have different price levels and the quality will change as the price goes up.
Set up a budget and then go shopping , looking at all units in that range. Some Manf. have higher quality at lower prices, you need to look at what is available, then you need to test drive the ones you think you like. Then look at all the different quality and service issues you can find on the Manf..

Many of the problems you read in the forums are related to poor Dealer service, not necessarily manf. problems.

Service is a key element in whatever decision you make. Remember, it is a big decision, don't make it hastily.

I had a 2003 and traded for a larger unit in 2004. Think first, then act.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Rogueii gives some good advice, but of course Ford and GM are not the only choices (unless maybe you are shopping ONLY for a gas coach). In the diesels, Freightliner and Spartan are the primary chassis mfg's with either CAT or Cummins engines.

In addition to quality of coach, I think you have to also look at quality of customer service the mfg provides. As you say, nearly every RV has at least a few issues ...just one issue that the mfg will not stand behind can make your experience a bad one...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
mottybri, At least you are willing to do your homework and research the possibilities. I spent five years finding out what I needed to know for a rig that was going to perform well as a fulltime unit. We have not regretted our decesion. I was not in a hurry as I was waiting for the kids to leave home and so I could take the time and do my homework too.
There are always going to be the "bugs" that will have to be worked out. They are anywhere from minute cosmetic issues to major system malfunctions. Again this is a dealer sensitive issue that should and can be caught if you are buying a new coach. If you buy a used coach (as we did) most of the bugs should have already been taken care of. Ours was 1.5 years old and we have not had any problems of the "house" of our coach. We have had a couple serious issues but they were taken care of by the manufacturer of the generator and refrigerator. I have had to repair the microwave twice, once for a turntable motor and the the magnatron tube went out. Since I can do this kind of repairs myself also helps as well as the ablility to maintain the unit. Maintaniance is by far the most important to keeping everything running soomthly without being suprised at the most inconvinient time. Follow the advice given. Find out how you will use the coach. Then do as you are doing and do not get into a hurry and you should do fine. Once you start getting down to the final choices, bring these back to the forum and get personal experiences of those that own those makes and models. Some manufacturers that stand behind their products very well are Tiffin, Newmar, Travel Supreme, Monaco, most all of the converters of Prevost, Newell, Bluebird and Foretravel; in no particular order. Good luck and enjoy the hunt!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have owned many brands of TT's and MH's. Until you get by the first year you may not be happy I have owned three Newmars first two coachs had more problems with chassis than coach itself. This coach must have been made on Monday or Friday coach had problems. I won't go into detail but now that I have fix everything I would still get a Newmar because I know I have a good foundation from which to work on. You can click on my posts bottom left to see what I mean.
It doesn't matter what coach Mfg you buy from if they will not back up their product your in trouble. You have an older MH 96, you have done your homework and hopefully most of the problems have been taken care of by now. Just keep informed and we are here to help if we can with our years of experience but even we might be wrong sometimes but someone will come up with the answer thats what makes this forum irv2 work for everyone.
Too help us to help you if you would post in your "signature" profile block your coach info you won't have to post it every time and it will follow your posts.
Enjoy the forums and keep posting thats the way everyone will learn. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #7

I have tried several times to go back to my profile and update it with more information and a picture of our MH, but I can't get anything under profile, just a blank screen. I don't know what I am doing wrong. We have now, which is our first, a class A Pace Arrow,1996, with a 460 Ford engine and Ford chassis. No slides, but I will be looking for a slide out in the living area in the next one. It only had 31000 miles, so I thought all the kinks would be worked out and we should have no problems. The first thing that happened was an exhaust manifold leak and a starting problem. The battery kept going dead. We took it back to the dealer (who by the way was very nice and did everything he said he would), BUT, the people he took the coach to, to repair the exhaust leak, just couldn't get it stopped. They also put a new starter on, which guess what, did not fix the starting problem. So the dealer took it back again, and they did some rigging on the exhaust manifold, and it is still leaking. They put on another starter, still same problem. DUH! The dealer did finally get the starting problem corrected, but not the exhaust leak. The dealer said to take it back to them again, but I am tired of messing with them, and it is a real problem to get to them, they are in Nashville, and we live west of Nashville on a farm. We spent more on fuel to and from repairs than on trips. Exhaust is still leaking, but I am taking it to another mechanic with a great reputation, Mon. but I will have to pay for this repair. At least I know it will be done right, the first time. Another problem is a water leak, everytime it rains, water comes in the top window on the drivers side. We took it back twice for that, guess what, it still leaks, not as bad, but still leaking. I am going to caulk everything on that coach twice if I have to, I hate water leaks. It is hard to find where the water is getting in. I have a rubber roof, which we had cleaned and treated but I can't find anywhere the water is getting in. The only thing we have not caulked is the front windshield. I will try that next. The only other problem is the handling. Hard to hold on the road with sidewinds from trucks, etc. We got some feedback on that, on this site and we are having new Bilstein shocks installed Mon. also as well as the leak repaired. If I could just get the water leak stopped I would be a happy camper. I just wanted to avoid problems with the next MH so I thought I would get some feedback as to which gives the best service. I guess I expected too much, just because the milage was low, I thought there would not be any problems for a while. I am the kind of person who HATES when things don't work right. I am looking forward to the day when I, my DH and my 3 kids (dogs) can take a trip and RELAX and enjoy the trip. I prefer a gas MH, 36' to 38' long. I don't like the walk thru bathrooms or the shower in the bedroom. I like a bathroom all together and seperate from the rest of the coach, with a door that locks. But really my main concern is a MH I can depend on getting me where I want to go without breaking down, or having to work on it every time you turn around. Until we reach full retirement about 2 to 5 years, we will be taking short trips. About 2 weekends a month in the spring and summer, to state parks, and bluegrass festivals in Tennessee and surrounding states. Once in the summer to the gulf or east coast. But once full retirement comes, we will be on the road maybe 6 months out of the year, and we want a dependable ride. I thank you for your feedback and I am still looking for the best ride available for the money. All suggestions welcome, I know your experiences and feedback will help us find the perfect ride for retirement. Thanks so much!

Old 04-07-2006, 04:26 PM   #8

Mottybri,

I had an older Tioga Class C on a ford frame with the infamous 460. It can be a great engine, but they DID (as you have discovered) have problems with the exhaust manifolds. The studs they used were sub standard and would eventually break off causing the manifold to warp slightly and leak. A competent mechanic should be aware of the problem and would generally check that first. The only repair I know of is to remove the manifold, remove and replace the studs then reinstall the manifold. Not an inexpensive process, but it works. In my case I also developed an intake manifold leak, so when that was done I also had the exhaust manifolds done too. AFter that it ran like brand new and gave us many years of great service until I traded up to a class A last summer.

You might check with the dealer and discuss your frustration with his choice of mechanic and see if he might be will to at least assist in the repair with your mechanic. Can't hurt to ask.

Oh yea! To get to your profile to edit or add information; go to the top of this page, on the left there is a tabbed area, choose the "go" tab and then "my space" bring up your public profile and in the upper right there is a place to choose to edit or change the compete profile. It is there that you can add you photo and provide a signature and/or change any information you need to.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:27 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I like a bathroom all together and seperate from the rest of the coach, with a door that locks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just curious,but if it's just you and your DH in the coach,why the door lock?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:21 AM   #10

You know, there are sometimes a girl just wants her privacy. Also when we have guests going with us, it is also more private for them too. That way if I need something in the bedroom in the back I don't have to wait for them to get out . I think it is just better for everyone.

Old 04-08-2006, 05:28 AM   #11

As for my profile, I went to go, to my space, profile, but just a blank screen comes us, no info, no edit. I have tried but cannot get it to come up, I really don't know what I have done. I may have to register again under a different name and try it again, if I can use the same e-mail address. Thanks for your help, or any other suggestions.

Old 04-08-2006, 05:43 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">AFter that it ran like brand new and gave us many years of great service until I traded up to a class A last summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you, Tom and Barb, That gives me hope, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 04-08-2006, 05:52 AM   #13

In the first section of this forum there is a topic for tech support of this web site. Leave a message there for the moderators and I'm sure they will help to solve the profile issue for you.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:51 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds as though you are not logged in when you went to My Space. There is no "My Space" until you are logged in and it comes up blank. You can read the forum as much as you want in Guest mode, but must log in to post, edit profile, etc.

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">I have contacted mottybri and we're working on the issue....thanks!!</span>
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote