Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 07:14 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Questions about a cover for my class A

Since I don't have the ability to store our coach indoors and live in wonderful, windy Wyoming.

I seriously thinking about purchasing a cover for my 2021 Tiffin Allegro RED 340 and would appreciate some input.
So here's my questions.

Do they really not damage the paint especially in high wind areas?

I've watched a video about installation, but how easy are they to remove?

I'm thinking about the "Goldline" cover from National RV Covers. Any input about this model or suggestions about a different manufacture?

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated!!!

Thank You
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 08:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I don't cover mine for a variety of reasons. First, I have heard and I suspect it's true, that prolonged use of an RV cover in a windy area will cause paint damage where the roof rounds down into the sides and end caps. My rig was a repo and suffered damage similar to this.

Secondly, once in place, you cannot SAFELY remove the cover until the snow and ice melt off. You're standing 12 feet in the air with a heavy snow and ice laden and water soaked cover. I like to use my rig in February to run to the sun, the cover would preclude that.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfixer1 View Post

Do they really not damage the paint especially in high wind areas?
I've heard that claim by people selling covers, but don't believe it for a minute....

Anything that touches your paint will affect it... from micro swirls, to scratches and actual wear marks.

I believe a cover in a windy area on a car, RV, boat, motorcycle, whatever... is a recipe for worn, damaged paint...

How bad the wear/damage is can be a function of the type, texture, and fit of the cover... but I don't think it's possible to store any vehicle in a windy climate, with a cover, and not get some damage...
Old 10-25-2021, 11:57 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just put a good coat of wax on it and call it good.
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTerry View Post
Just put a good coat of wax on it and call it good.
I've kept mine covered for 5 years now and no marks. I can't get a cover to last longer than 1 year though. I was thinking of the sunbrella covers but they run around $1000
jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:28 PM   #6

I’ve covered my motorhome for 4 Canadian winters. I’m on my 4th winter with an Adco cover. I expect I will get a few more out of it. You have to make sure you cover any protruding parts with foam as they will pierce the fabric if you don’t. I use pieces of pool noodle. Make sure everything is tight and doesn’t flap easily. The cover has several adjustment straps.
As far as paint rubs, I haven’t had any. The cover is soft and not abrasive at all. If you use a $50 old style tarp with steel grommets then you’ll get rub marks.

I paid $700 for mine and it was worth every penny.
Jlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:29 PM   #7

No problems with scratching on mine, but my Dolphin is painted only on the bottom 20% of the coach. A full body paint job might be a different story, but most of the weight of the cover rests on the roof in any case.

Cheap covers are polypropylene and only good for about a year where I live. Polyester fares better, and there are polyester covers available without spending $1,000. I bought one for my 34' class A from Budge Covers on sale for around $325.00 (on sale). Polyester is heavier than polypropylene, so getting the cover up on the roof can be a bit of a chore, but they do stand up to sun and wind much better than polypropylene. I've had one on my car hauler trailer now for two years and it still looks good. I just bought one for my motorhome too.

Even better covers are likely polyester with a felt lining, but they must be terribly heavy. The covers I bought from Budge do not have a lining but are a thick polyester fabric. Perhaps there is some miracle fabric that is both light, soft and durable, but I'm not aware of it. Not in my price range perhaps.

Keeping the cover tight is key to preventing wind damage. In addition to the straps that the manufacturer supplies, I use large office "bull" clips to clamp loose areas to the bottom of the coach to keeps the fabric from flapping around too much.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #8

I once had the Sunbrella cover for my 30 foot Adventurer and it was a good long lasting cover. However, it was a challenge to put on and take off and I can not even imagine what it would be like on a 40 coach. I also at the time lived in SoCal so I did not have wind and snow but on occasion when the wind blew that cover would bellow and move all over, even after strapping it securely. I would not want to have one where wind, snow and bad weather could mess with things because if you have a nice paint job it will get scuffed in areas.

Tags
class a, cover