Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2020, 05:53 AM   #57

I didn't want to get in the middle of this "discussion" as I have only had a van camper and 3 class As... current one a DP... but couldn't resist.

How much easier is touring in a MH. It appears to me that most parks save some spots for over night DPs, is it easy to find a site for a 40 ft plus the TV?
No problem with EZ in/out spaces for either in most places... just have to request pull thru

Unhooking the car from the MH appears a lot easier than unhooking the 5er, is it?

I would encourage you to visit a park and just observe to make up your own mind. I would like to see 10 Cl and 10 FW do a time trial and avg the set up time. My money will be on those flat towing. Pull 2 pins, unhook 2 hooks, pull the power cord and break away cable. That doesnt even consider the time to back in if a back in site.

If travels were only to a distant park to stay for a season and return home I'd feel very different but frequent stops while touring its CL A for me without a doubt. I have no daily need for a HD / expensive truck as a daily driver so I consider it an unnecessary expensive. If one needs that or already owns one that can be a big factor.

'Nuff said but please let us know what you decide
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
If you love having a big truck as a daily driver.....
and you require passengers to be buckled in 100% of the time.....
5'er might be for you.

If you want your trip/vacation to start when you put it in drive...…
and you are confident enough to tow/drive a mini-van.....(our minivan with seats stowed probably holds more than a truck.)
a Class A might be for you.

Why you or anyone else cares what I think about which things are more important...… That's the bigger question.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:55 AM   #59

Good morning. My first thought is you have a very high quality 5er with the Mobile Suite. Finding a MH of equal quality might be your first thought. I had a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star 38' and went to a Nuwa Discover America 31' w/ a 2017 3500HD Silverado Duramax. Great combo. Nuwa is excellent quality - great to live in. I had my MH experience and am very happy with my switch to the 5er. I believe if you stick w/ quality you'll be fine.
Regards. Ed
edaa53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:58 PM   #60

I wish to thank y'all for the feed back. As usual on a forum there were some diverse opinions. I expected that and most of the things I learned were reinforcement for ideas I already had. There was one recurring comment that surprised me though. Many who leaned toward a MH commented that they were much easier to back in to a site than a 5th wheel. Are you sure. While I admit that sometimes I have to try out a couple different turn starts to get in I don;t consider it difficult. But one of those 40 foot DPs look to me to need a lot more turning room.

In the end I am where I began, undecided. I guess my lean right now is to keep the 5th wheel or upgrade to a newer Mobile Suites but I keep looking at those big shiny DPs with envy. They sure look comfortable and given whats going on now there may be some bargins around by summer.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #61

stanleyz , I've been following your thread on this discussion and we've made our decision. As stated earlier, we need to trade our 5er in on a MH just didn't know whether to go with DP or gasser. So many pros & cons on this subject. We're going with 30-32' gasser. We're interested in 6 different manufacturers that we need to drive to finalize our decision, 3 gassers we like have an 8,000 # hitch weight (heavier toad like a 1500 truck). I'm a retired school bus driver, so backing, turning, parking a 35' vehicle is second nature. I can't back the 5th wheel with required precision as a 35' straight job.
Marge & Ted
'16 RAM, 6.7 Cummins, 900 ft# torque
'16 Keystone Montana 3160RL
Rush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:43 AM   #62

Your Mobile Suites is IMHO the best fiver made. The Prevost is the best bus shell made. I can tell you from experience that you will spend a lot more money and time keeping the Prevost up.

Every time we take our Wanderlodge out it needs attention. Not major stuff, just attention.

For example...it's time to service the generator. In addition the generator hour meter needs replacing. The backup camera needs upgrading. Not major dollars...just attention. The hydronic heater needs annual maintenance along with the engine.

It cost dollars to keep a bus up. If you like fiddling with stuff the bus will keep you busy. I like fiddling with my bus even though my arthritis prevents me from doing major things. I am fortunate to have a top notch mechanic and an additional bus service center very close to my home. To me it's worth it.
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote