Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #1

Questions to ask seller

Ok, After looking and looking I think I have found the class a diesel pusher I want. The question is before I hop on a plane, what questions do I ask the seller? I will definitely have a professional look at it before flying out. This will be my first bus. Just wanting to make sure I don't get there and wish I had ask more questions. This is a 2015 Freightliner. Thanks in advance..

Tool Man

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Snap-On Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #2

By "bus" do you mean Tiffin Allegro Bus or just a bus [coach]? Freightliner is a chassis builder and not a coach manufacturer. There may be some questions specific to a particular brand of coach but the fact that it is a 15, eliminates many of the typical questions asked when buying an older used coach. Only questions that come to mind are: engine size? miles? number of slides? maintenance records available? and why are you selling it?
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #3

Question I would ask first is whether complete maintenance records are available for review. A meticulous previous owner means a lot to me.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #4

I'd for sure ask if the unit has been smoked in if that's something you care about.

1998 Fleetwood: Pace Arrow Vision 36B (Chevy 454)
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Ask about smoking in the unit and if pets have been in it.

The rest leave to the pro inspector. If he does a good job, he will tell you about the tries, water leaks, any differed maintenance,, batteries etc.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get your own independent inspector, not someone the seller recommends. Ask for the Vin # of the Chassis and the coach and then do a check of each.
Ask why are they selling it and a get a list of previous repairs.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:38 AM   #7

My List

Coach Questions to ask over the Phone:
How many owners?
Why are you selling?
Has the rig ever been in an accident?
Any odors, cigarette smoke smell?
DOT tire dates
VIN#
MX records? Can they be emailed?
Can I weigh the coach before purchase?
Last oil change/tranny oil change. This will give an indication of the owners knowledge of the mx and condition of his rig.
Hours on the generator and last oil change on generator?
Any roof leaks? Oil or Tranny leaks?
What chassis, Spartan, Freightliner, etc. Again will give an indication if the owner is knowledgeable.
Is the Title clear or is it financed. Any liens?
Can I have the coach inspected at a Chassis repair shop?
Can I drive it?
What does not work?
Do you tow a vehicle, if so what tow rig do you have and does it go with the coach, inc towed brake?
Do you know the temporary tag requirements in your state?
Does the rig have a surge protector and or autoformer.
If buying from a dealer request dealer change all door locks inc cargo doors.
If buying from a dealer request before final payment that you be allowed to live in the coach for a period of time to assess all systems and determine any problems.

Don't waste your money on travel expenses and an inspector if you can assess as much as possible over the phone.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tim jet gave a pretty good list.

Alan
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Coach Questions to ask over the Phone:
How many owners?
Why are you selling?
Has the rig ever been in an accident?
Any odors, cigarette smoke smell?
DOT tire dates
VIN#
MX records? Can they be emailed?
Can I weigh the coach before purchase?
Last oil change/tranny oil change. This will give an indication of the owners knowledge of the mx and condition of his rig.
Hours on the generator and last oil change on generator?
Any roof leaks? Oil or Tranny leaks?
What chassis, Spartan, Freightliner, etc. Again will give an indication if the owner is knowledgeable.
Is the Title clear or is it financed. Any liens?
Can I have the coach inspected at a Chassis repair shop?
Can I drive it?
What does not work?
Do you tow a vehicle, if so what tow rig do you have and does it go with the coach, inc towed brake?
Do you know the temporary tag requirements in your state?
Does the rig have a surge protector and or autoformer.
If buying from a dealer request dealer change all door locks inc cargo doors.
If buying from a dealer request before final payment that you be allowed to live in the coach for a period of time to assess all systems and determine any problems.

Don't waste your money on travel expenses and an inspector if you can assess as much as possible over the phone.
First ask if he has title and also get serial number before inspection or leaving home.Have them fax or email the auctual certificate of title
If he has title then most likely no liens but run the serial number and see whats up then go from there
If someone asks me why iam selling I just say non of your business thanks
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #10

One other thing. How do I determine a real true value a motorhome? 3 years old.

Tool Man

Snap-On Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-On Man View Post
One other thing. How do I determine a real true value a motorhome? 3 years old.

Tool Man

RV Blue Book is a good place to start... Google it. But I would also say that it is not the end all to be all. Buying used is more empathic feeling and logical wear combined with understanding cost rather then an exact science.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:50 PM   #12

Remember asking price and selling price are often very different things, I just bought a well updated 15 year old Class A last month for 20% under the initial asking price, just 2 days after the ad had been placed online. In my case I explained to the seller that I had been shopping for this exact model nationwide for about 4 months, that 2 others of the same model that were slightly older than their's had just popped up for sale within 150 miles of where I lived priced $7,000 -$9,000 less than their asking price within the last 24 hours, but that I liked the looks of theirs better. And also explained that I would have additional $1,500 or so in transportation expense buying theirs as it was right at 1,000 miles away. Within a couple of hours they responded with the reduced asking price, and 5 days later I was on a plane to finalize the transaction and get my new to me motorhome. The sellers would have preferred that it would have been 3-4 days later, but 5 days was the soonest I could get a flight from here to there that arrived during the daytime hours, plus there were practical things to arrange like an insurance rider policy, license plate....
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:25 AM   #13

Given the date of the OP, you may have already "hopped on a plane." If that is not the case, here is my approach (YMMV).

Once I had identified the coach as one that meets my criteria and have asked for more info on said coach, I then ask the seller, "Do you have fairly complete maintenance records?" If the seller hesitates or says, "No," or something like, "Well, I have some receipts," don't think about getting on a plane and go on to the next one. There are plenty of motor homes out there for sale by those who take maintenance seriously and will have substantially complete records. My logic chain, such as it is: "If you don't have maintenance records, you probably didn't maintain the MH as you should."
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #14
rkf

If you can get the vin # you can run a vin check it will tell you how many owners, accidents
rkf is offline   Reply With Quote