RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2016, 11:03 PM   #1

Quickie Lubes

Yesterday i took my 31' Winne to the lube shop around the corner. I trust the shop. I took all my business vehicles there for years. I got a transmission flush, rear end fluid change, radiator flush and full drive train and body lube for under $300 and done in 2 hours. It was a bit like fitting a watermellon through a keyhole, but got it in and out cleanly.

So I was wondering if anyone else normally uses these shops for fluid maintence?
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2016, 03:53 AM   #2

I had a local shop who did all my commercial stuff until we had a failure of a gear box and found that they actually were not checking them each time as stated... the vehicles were in the lube shop once a month... BUT that said... there are 2 chains of shops that work on up to class 8 trucks... and I drive by one of those when I'm at my winter home in AZ.... they always have 4-6 rigs in the drive.... I can only assume that you'd get better service from a crew who's main job is to service trucks...

Just my thoughts.... BTW some of the truck stops also have a lube service...
Old 11-13-2016, 05:10 AM   #3

Don't Assume Anything

I owned a trucking business, and I serviced my own vehicles. Once in a while a vehicle would time out for service and we would have it done on the road.

I can't tell you how many times we had trouble with loose oil filters, leaking fuel filters, not enough oil in the engine, etc.

When I greased the vehicles at 15,000 miles, I would get 4-5 pumps on each grease zerk. When it was done on the road, and I serviced the next time I would get 10 -12 on each zerk. That tells me that no one greased anything.

Your best bet, is to do it yourself. Your next best bet is to find a shop you trust, not one that just has 4 or 5 vehicles in front of it all the time.
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:14 AM   #4

Do you know who gets the job of servicing trucks?

The newest guy, the lowest paid guy, the guy they don't trust to do anything else, they guy who doesn't know anything else, the guy that just came in looking for a job,
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #5

I did the oil change a few months back but decided it was much easier to get all that done at one time and just have them do it. I have not decided if I am going to use them for normal oil changes or not. The side to side clearance was tight.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #6

I think that the one and only way to make sure things are done right is to do it yourself. If you have the knowledge and tools. This is not to say that there are not some damn fine service shops out there. I believe it all boils down to work ethic. Convenience is also a consideration especially while on a road trip. While I personally do not use these type of places... many do... some with good experiences... others not so much.
While I do all the normal maintenance stuff myself. I have no choice but to leave the bigger more in depth stuff to the so called pros
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:40 PM   #7

I kind of look at from an opposite angle. Cheap repetitive tasks are not worth my time, as I am not retired and time is a commodity. The bigger one time tasks like rebuilding the brakes, replacing an AC unit, changing the shocks... etc have a much bigger bang for the buck by doing it yourself. I never have a problem with oil changes and such because I stand right there at the bay the whole time and watch them and everything they do. The techs are often chatty and enjoy the conversations... at least at the place I go.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:27 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I got the most recent PM by a mobile service (found on craigs list ) . Consistent, and easily scheduled - I supplied filters and it also included a lube. I Was able to watch each and they came me. Reasonably priced
Old 11-14-2016, 04:18 AM   #9

We have been interested in the mobile service for the reasons stated above. We can watch them do the work. We see them advertised on all the cg brochures. I assume there is an up charge to having them come to the site but then I look at the hassle of finding someone to do the service and reasonably accessible. A trade off.

Does anyone have a $$ comparison for a basic oil change between taking it to a shop vs. a mobile service.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:23 AM   #10

I have to chime in on this subject. For the most part we have all heard of the horror quickie lube place stories. I usually don't use them but when on the road and service needs to be done there are choices. In my travels with commercial trucks we have always used Speedco. In fact if you search them on this site you will see good reviews. Speedco is geared for the trucking industry and is used to dealing with trucks, diesels etc. I know they show you everything they do. Torque the drain plug etc. I wouldn't hesitate to go to a speedco if in need. Check them out!
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #11

We used Speedco when we had a diesel and found they were great. We now have a gasser and Speedco doesn't do gassers.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote