Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #43

Its not fun.

I've replaced belts on Genset while still in place. Need long wrenches for generator belt side. Just got done pulling generator myself using a utility trailer as a bench and a come a long to pull generator out. Reversed the process to put back in. I needed to replace starter this time and also replaced pulleys and tensioners. Biggest problem on mine was the rear motor mount bolts stuck down lower than generator frame and dug into trailer. I trimmed bolts and won't have that problem again. Time is money and it takes anyone a lot of time to pull units. Good luck
Rhunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #44

Just had it done on 06 Journey so belt had lasted 10 years since new. Most pushers need the unit removed as even those on rails can't get pulled out enough for the tech. We had a good tech in Canada who noticed many worn or marginal items and I decided to get a full refurbishment while the unit was out (for example: a cracked plastic antifreeze container etc...). Parts were reasonable but labor at $100+ brought the total to $2500 Canadian. Get a good tech and hopefully be close enough to visit shop or request phone calls before accepting extra work performance. Peace of mind is also worth a few bucks. Good luck. Louis
lpmobilewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #45

I too paid an Onan shop to replace my belt and temp sender. $650 (US).

I too have my 7500 on a slide. However, the tech op'd to pull the generator off the slides... and when he put it back my generator made more noise than before.

The tech said that the generator did not get put back on its "feet" properly so now I plan to take it back to the shop so can fix the additional 6-9db of noise! (That's a lot.).

I was also surprised the tech pulled it in the first place? And I get the impression he did not even try to raise the coach and work from underneath. He just pulled it and billed me. (Time is money!)

* Some people say they have access to the back of their generator if it's on a slide and other say not so.

Since I never pulled the cover off my generator, I don't know if this is possible. May I ask the next person who changes their belt... post pictures!

* Other people say they don't remove the pulley screws when replacing the belt. Well... I suppose you can FORCE the belt over the wheel, but I would think this would stretch the belt (just a little), but the problem is that there is no belt tension adjustment. Therefore, I thing this approach would be a mistake.

GETTING MORE CREATIVE:

1) Why isn't there an inspection cover on the back of the generator cover so one can easily remove the belt?

Has anyone thought of cutting a hole into the back of the generator and then adding a removable cover plate?

2) Has anyone added some high quality "peal 'n stick" sound dampening material to the inside or outside of the generator box? Can it be done from the inside?

If not, would putting some 4" straps all the way around the box and cinching them up reduce vibration?

Apparently, a lot of generator noise is created by vibration; and people who have added a resonator to the exhaust report it does not reduce the noise very much if at all. So I would think that sticking-aluminum reflective, sound deadening material would resist heat and sound. But I'm just guessing. Has anyone tried that?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #46

QD7500 photo

I don't have a picture of the belt location but below is a photo of the inside of my QD7500.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7wKeiZamk9kN9WmWA
rECUpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:01 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
My genset is due for a belt change but the unit is NOT on a slideout. Can anyone estimate the cost to drop the unit and change the belt? I cannot do this job myself. What should I expect to pay?

Thanks!
Mine slides out but I think my fleet mechanic said most all the work was from under the coach. I pretty sure it can be changed without removal as long as you can get the coach up high enough to slide under and work around it. I am speculating since I don’t know what generator you have or anything about your coach.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #48

Great photo Kevin! Top belt pulley clearly visible (top right of photo). Looks like 32 bolts to remove back panel and you have access to it. Seems doable if on a slide.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:15 PM   #49

American Coach Owners Club
You Guy's without a Slide out can still change the Belt If ?
You have adequate clearance From the top of the Genny to the frame about 6 to 8 inches - 10 MM socket and 10 mm wrench.
Remove all of the Top cover bolts (10mm).
Remove Both side cover Bolts (10mm) on the Rear of the Genny.
Pull the Top Cover back and up and remove it by sliding it back then up at the same time.-Set aside.
Slide the rear cover up about and 1 in and a 1/2 and remove it -
Now your looking at your Belt- remove the upper Pulley-remove the Belt- Install the new Belt and reverse the Sequence ,
About 2 hours of labor and you'll save big $$.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:36 PM   #50

What is the part # for the belt
12.5 Onan
Manufactured 1998-99 era

Thank you much
NAPA is my store.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191204_081049.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	271588