Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #1

Quietdiesel generator not charging chassis batteries

Hey everyone,
Here's an issue I have now. I have a good friend who is using my 2004 Fleetwood Discovery Cat DP for a family vacation.
(That's not the real issue haha)
What has happened is that the alternator is going out (based on the symptoms he's described for me). I had an issue just like this when I bought the motorhome. I fired the generator up and the chassis batteries were charged while I was driving until I got home and then I changed the alternator. Luckily I was only about 150 miles from home when the alternator went bad. But luckily the generator saved us.
Now, my friend ran the generator and it isn't charging the chassis batteries. So much to the point that the motorhome's transmission selector wouldn't work while parked. The chassis batteries read 11.00 volts per the gauge on the control panel above the passenger seat. The house batteries are 6 months old and are charged fully at this point. I've read about a battery bridging solenoid possibly being bad, but this was only in general terms and descriptions. I did not find anything specific to my model. And the battery switch to jump the house and chassis batteries did not work either. It would run power up the gauges and seemed like it was working, but when he went to crank...nothing.
He's going to Freightliner tomorrow but that's only going to get the alternator replaced.
I had just recently last month had the motorhome out with the family and had no issues like this. Of course almost every time I lend something out, something weird happens.
If anyone has any ideas, please share. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you can tell him where the solenoid is, you might suggest tapping it with the butt of a screwdriver to jog it to work.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Your generator doesn't really do any charging - it's just the alternate 120v power source. Your regular house charging system is what does it, and Fleetwood coaches provide a Battery Charge Controller that activates a relay to also charge chassis batteries when needed. The relay could be bad, or the BCC could be bad, or the BCC logic may have decided not to do it. It won't charge chassis batteries until the house batteries reach some predetermined voltage (usually 13.3), and there are probably other criteria as well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:11 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All of these fancy systems that charge the chassis batteries when the coach batteries are fully charged or when the sun rises in the west or something like that is very complicated. I have a nice little automatic battery charger that takes up almost no space. It plugs into 110VAC and run off of either the generator or shore current whichever is available. It is permanently wired to the batteries. If I have any doubt about whether or not it is working I can go look at it and see a nice little green light that shows power is applied to it. If the light is on and I decide my batteries are not charging I can use a multimeter and then go spend another 50.00 to get a new one if there is a problem.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Your generator doesn't really do any charging - it's just the alternate 120v power source. Your regular house charging system is what does it, and Fleetwood coaches provide a Battery Charge Controller that activates a relay to also charge chassis batteries when needed. The relay could be bad, or the BCC could be bad, or the BCC logic may have decided not to do it. It won't charge chassis batteries until the house batteries reach some predetermined voltage (usually 13.3), and there are probably other criteria as well.
Thank you, that makes more sense to me. Based on the voltages he's given me, the house batteries are not at full voltage so the the controller must not be giving the ok to charge the chassis batteries.
As it turns out he got the alternator replaced and the idler pulley locked up 150 miles later so the saga continues.

Tags
batteries, charging, chassis, diesel, generator