Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #15

So at this point I have put the whole endorsement thing on hold until spring, don't want to be taking a road test in the snow. We finally got hold of someone at DMV that actually knew what i was talking about, what I was wondering is there anyone in here who has actually gotten the endorsement in NY? Can't find what they look for in the test, would just like to know what they will focus on during the road test.
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2011, 05:00 AM   #16

Gary, are you saying that I can knowingly let an underlicensed person take one of our tractor trailers down the road with no worries about insurance coverage?

I support the licensing of larger recreational vehicles, especially those with air brakes; every commercial driver has to have an air endorcement to drive vehicles with these braking systems why should heavy air brake rv operators not have to show expert knowledge also.

In fact the more I think about it, there are also questions about jake use on the test, so why not require a CDL B with all necessary endorcements?

And yes, I would also require a modified log requirment which would show only total miles and operating hours with both pre trip and interval inspections.

Operating heavy vehicles-regardless of nature- should include having heavy responsibility/requirements.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:25 AM   #17

By the way, if you think you know it all or even just want to see how much you know about the CDL tests try your luck here;

General Knowledge Test 1 - Crist CDL's Online Testing Center

I think the site is still active, alot of pop ups but still worth it.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsflight
I completed the permit/roadtest process this summer. Not a fun experience. There is a lack of knowledge of how to process the 'R' endorsement at each stage of the process. Each had to call Albany to get the details, even at the roadtest. That examiner had even been doing roadtests for 20 years. The other examiners thought I was there for a CDL test. The NYS drivers manual is vague and inconsistant, too.

My cousin is a state trooper & he was not aware of the endorsement, his commericial division was aware of the endorsement and advised that in the event of an accident they would ticket you as "driving out of class" whether you were at fault for the accident or not, otherwise they hunt you down for the proper license.

So you decide....
Rsflight, tried to respond to your private message but your account does not accept them. Anyway, thanks for the info, sounds like it will be a fun process!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #19

Go to the NYSDMV website to view R endorsement requirements make a copy of it take it with you to your motor vehicle office this will help them find it on their website I did this and set up an appointment to take the test ( RE: you have to have someone with you that has a R endorsement or better to accompany you to to test site. Took driving test and received the endorsement with no problem ( you are right most DMV employees are not aware of this endorsement)

Phil
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #20

I took the road test at the same location that I took my drivers lisc test almost 50 years ago and my myc lisc. test 45 years ago

phil
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #21

I still can't see what is so hard about air brakes in an RV? Your not disconecting trailer brake lines. Step on pedal it stops. Lift your foot it goes. No air pressure, your stuck. Why do you think you need an endorsement for that? I would make the ones with a Workhorse Chassis hyd brake get one before an air brake system.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #22

Nor'easters Club
DRL1950,
To answer the question about the road test; I did a walk-around first, then after requiring my instructor to "buckle-up" we pulled away from the curb. Then we went to an area where I was required to parallel park the MH, (make sure you pull the brake put the four ways on and get out and look in back of the MH prior to backing up - IMPORTANT!). After that we went for a nice 5 mile ride around some varied roads and returned to the take-off spot to end. (This required a 3-point turn).
Like everyone else, the local NYS DMV office didn't have a clue what I was talking about and had to call the district office to learn. Then I got my learner's permit and immediately tried to make the appointment for the road-test. This I did by talking to the district office not the local one. Issue: they tried to set my road-test with a 40 foot MH up on narrow city streets with tight corners and lots of traffic, twice. I refused, saying that if I were to take my MH to that spot then I shouldn't be allowed to drive it, period. Finally they gave me a spot that I knew would be more open and I got a veteran retired bus driver as a road-tester. They just don't let any inspector do these tests.
So, I passed and got the paper stamped by the inspector who told me DMV would just add it (R endorsement) to my license when I renewed. Stop there! If you wait over 2 years from the date of the road test to go to the DMV office to update, then you will have to take the test over again. (I managed to skate, but be forewarned...go to DMV and update as soon as you get the passing document).
NY State official ignorance in this matter is truly unforgivable, but you should muddle though anyway. If you are in NY then you are driving out of class without it (unless you have a CDL B.) If you are out of state, your home licensing laws apply.
I prefer to not take a chance, besides, who knows when they may tighten up the requirements as discussed above. Get grandfathered in and don't worry about it.

PS: Don't forget the qualified driver to take you to the testing site as stated above.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #23

I live on Long Island and did get the "R" endorsement. I went to DMV in Medford and they gave me the book and once I was ready, I went on line to NYSDMV and arranged an appointment for the road test. Road test was okay. Need to explain air brakes, check all outside lights (headlights, running, signal etc.), check that your compartment doors are secured. You must parallel park, make sure you put on your flashers and get out and walk around motorhome before backing up. Typical road test, took about 15-20 minutes.
rav4annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #24

Nor'easters Club
Hmmm, my roadtest was not that involved. I had to do a few tight residential street turns, a parallel park and that's all. No walk arounds (due to the rear camera being on), no air brake questions, nothing. So the examiners are as varied and unknowing as the clerical staff...
Old 03-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #25

I am scheduled to take my road test on the 27th, and was wondering if anyone had taken their NYS test in the Utica or Syracuse area? It has been difficult to get anyone to tell me exactly what I will be tested on, so was wondering if anyone from this area could give me some insight.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #26

I took my test in Cortland, NY, 1-1/2 years ago and it consisted of the following:
Start
Drive around the block
Back up 100 feet
Parallel park
Drive back to start
Done.
Gary Rightmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL1950 View Post
I am scheduled to take my road test on the 27th, and was wondering if anyone had taken their NYS test in the Utica or Syracuse area? It has been difficult to get anyone to tell me exactly what I will be tested on, so was wondering if anyone from this area could give me some insight.

As I posted earlier, I had a CDL school instructor give me a couple of hours of road time in my MH. He also knew the three places in the area where they take you on the test, and we went to them all. The heads up was very helpful on the actual road test, because all three areas had tricky lane usage. I got a 100% (no deductions) on the road test, so it was worth it imo.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #28

The long journey is over, took my test today and passed! The test consisted of a 10 minute drive and parallel parking. So I am now legal in New York, thanks to all who responded to my original post.