Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #1

"R" endorsement in NYS

Just wondering how many of you who live in NY actually got the proper endorsement for your license? I have made two attempts to set up the appointment for the road test with no success, they either don't know what I am talking about or they cannot get anyone to return their call at the main office. Think I will just give up and drive with the app
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
NYS

Needed to renew my liscence in September. Asked about the "R" also, and no one on Long Island new anything.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac
Needed to renew my liscence in September. Asked about the "R" also, and no one on Long Island new anything.
One clerk told me that she had been there for 13 years and had never seen one! Her comment was that most people must drive without one.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #4

Yeah, sounds familiar. I found that the only person who really knew anything was the owner of a local driving school. After speaking with him, I went to DMV armed with the proper knowledge, and after 30 minutes and 3 clerks, I got my permit. The permit allows you to operate for up to 1 year in NYS only, as long as someone with the R endorsement or a class A or B CDL is with you.

When you are ready for the road test, you must have someone with the required license (above) drive your MH to the test area for you.

Consider this: If you are caught without the endorsement, you can be charged with operating "Out of Class". Points violation and fine.

If you are in an accident your insurance company can REFUSE COVERAGE.

Not a chance I was willing to take.

PS - within 30 days of getting my endorsement, I was hit by a semi-trailer in a truck stop. Very glad I was legal.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill
Yeah, sounds familiar. I found that the only person who really knew anything was the owner of a local driving school. After speaking with him, I went to DMV armed with the proper knowledge, and after 30 minutes and 3 clerks, I got my permit. The permit allows you to operate for up to 1 year in NYS only, as long as someone with the R endorsement or a class A or B CDL is with you.

When you are ready for the road test, you must have someone with the required license (above) drive your MH to the test area for you.
So did you actually ever take the road test? So far I have spent 4 hours in lines and time spent explaining to DMV clerks what it is that I need. Since my Motorhome is now winterized and put away I will likely give it a rest until spring.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL1950 View Post
So did you actually ever take the road test? So far I have spent 4 hours in lines and time spent explaining to DMV clerks what it is that I need. Since my Motorhome is now winterized and put away I will likely give it a rest until spring.

SEE MY EDIT ON MY POST ABOVE regarding operating without the endorsement.

I spent 2 hours with the driving school instructor. He charged me $150 for his time. Well worth it, because he made me aware of exactly what they look for on the test. Example : You have to stop before the line at a stop sign, or if no line before you get to the sign - even if the sign is 10 or 20 feet back from the intersection. He showed me the two areas where they do the actual test, so I could get used to the lane usage. Did you know that if there are 2 lanes for a left turn, that you must use the one on the right? I didn't.

Anyway, yes I did take the test. Because of the practice I actually got a 100% score. 70% is passing.

If you want more info, feel free to PM me.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
I completed the permit/roadtest process this summer. Not a fun experience. There is a lack of knowledge of how to process the 'R' endorsement at each stage of the process. Each had to call Albany to get the details, even at the roadtest. That examiner had even been doing roadtests for 20 years. The other examiners thought I was there for a CDL test. The NYS drivers manual is vague and inconsistant, too.

My cousin is a state trooper & he was not aware of the endorsement, his commericial division was aware of the endorsement and advised that in the event of an accident they would ticket you as "driving out of class" whether you were at fault for the accident or not, otherwise they hunt you down for the proper license.

So you decide....
Old 11-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #8

Sounds like I will try to finish the process in the spring, should be able to get the test scheduled by then. Thanks to all who replied.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:16 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I did the same dance with DMV. While at the office getting plates for a car I asked about it. Twenty minutes and a three DMV people in a huddle trying to figure it out and I got a 40 year old (date of form on it) temporary license and the phone number of the "Brownies" to set up an appointment for a road test. The temp license is stamped but not dated so I hang on to it.

In Florida where we spend about half the year you don't need any special for RVs over 26K lbs as long as it is being used for recreational use. So unless you are a dealer or service person transporting it, your plain old auto license is good. Might be easier to just change my license to Fl.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If you are in an accident your insurance company can REFUSE COVERAGE.
That's a myth. Even if the driver had no license at all, the vehicle insurance still covers the vehicle and any damage it does to anyone or anything else. The vehicle is insured, not the driver.

About the only way they can refuse coverage is if you obtained the insurance via fraudulent means, e.g. lied on the application form. Even then most of them will pay up and then cancel the coverage.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #11

There's one more thing that many don't know when it comes to driving a big rig/RV. This applies when turning from a single left turn lane onto a road that has two lanes for you; always turn into the left lane, wait until you have completed the turn, check for clearance, then signal and move into the right lane. Turning into the right lane as you are making the turn is asking for an accident. For a CDL driver, turning directly into the right lane is illegal. For a reason. An impatient driver behind you may (make that will when you least expect it) try to pass you on the right as you are turning. If you immediately turn into the right lane, you will pin them up against the curb or guardrail or ?. And you will most likely be cited for an improper turn. I've seen this happen in front of me in a big rig. The outcome, though not deadly, was very ugly. As a sidebar, IMHO, it's a good idea for ALL drivers of anything over 26K lbs. to have the enhanced license. As 'bluepill' showed in post #6, we may not know or remember everything. Happy sailing to all!
Old 11-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The vehicle is insured, not the driver.
Up untill this last renewal our insurance (GMAC) here in WA was on the driver, my wife was not authorized to drive the MH so no insurance card for her for the MH. Each of us had to carry an insurance card for each vehicle on us ar all times while driving. This year the policy is on the vehicle and the cards are carried in the vehicle.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #13

I know for a fact that in NY an insurance company can try to "assign" a percentage of "blame" in an accident based on various factors. They will then reduce the settlement amount. This happened to an employee of mine. Whether an "out of class" operation can be used, I do not know for sure, but we all know that the only thing that makes insurance companies happier than cashing our premium check is refusing to pay a claim.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey360 View Post
There's one more thing that many don't know when it comes to driving a big rig/RV. This applies when turning from a single left turn lane onto a road that has two lanes for you; always turn into the left lane, wait until you have completed the turn, check for clearance, then signal and move into the right lane. Turning into the right lane as you are making the turn is asking for an accident. For a CDL driver, turning directly into the right lane is illegal. For a reason. An impatient driver behind you may (make that will when you least expect it) try to pass you on the right as you are turning. If you immediately turn into the right lane, you will pin them up against the curb or guardrail or ?. And you will most likely be cited for an improper turn. I've seen this happen in front of me in a big rig. The outcome, though not deadly, was very ugly. As a sidebar, IMHO, it's a good idea for ALL drivers of anything over 26K lbs. to have the enhanced license. As 'bluepill' showed in post #6, we may not know or remember everything. Happy sailing to all!
State laws are different mikey. In California when turning on a green arrow the vehicle can turn into any lane they choose unless marked otherwise. I can't even imagine someone passing someone in a intersection that started as a one lane left turn.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote