Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2021, 11:37 AM   #1

Radar tires??

I searched but could not find any reference to them. I have a 34ft motorhome. Hasn't been driven much in the last 8 years but the current tires are 10 years old. I received prices from a couple places.

Tire Factory gave me pricing on Radar tires - never heard of the brand. Was going to go with Toyo but they suggested these since I drive low mileage on roads.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Check with www.simpletire.com Quick delivery and good prices. I'd suggest Sumitomo Tires brand
Old 04-20-2021, 12:25 PM   #3

Radar Tyres is the flagship brand of Omni United and offers a unique value proposition in its segment. In the passenger and light truck segment the brand offers a vast and varied range of tires that are made for all seasons, applications and different types of vehicles that cater to different requirements and interests of drivers.
Radar Tyres are designed in Singapore by our in-house design team and utilise the latest equipment, materials and manufacturing processes. This makes our fitments universal, so drivers can choose the right set of tyres for their unique driving styles and requirements, knowing that these choices are backed by world-class engineering and manufacturing capabilities.

Looks like an off brand Chinese made tire.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:32 PM   #4

Random no-name "brands" are pretty much guaranteed to be made from 100% Chinesium.

Other examples are names like Double-Coin, Windpower, DoubleRoad, Triangle, Aeolus, etc.... If you've never heard of them before, they are 98% likely to be Chinesium and probably trash. They even advertise them as for "short distance regional trips in good conditions" which means if there's weather or heat.... Tire failure is likely. That's JUST the kind of thing we would want, right? PFFT!

Use them at your peril.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:36 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cheap tires are not a bargain...I'd go with the Toyo Tires.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
From a Google search.......

"Radar Tires are made by Omni United, a tire manufacturer and distributing company based in Singapore. Established in 2006, Omni United is committed to making high quality tires at competitive and affordable prices."
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:18 PM   #7

Why even consider going with an unknown brand with something as important as tires? Especially with so many proven brands available. Be best value quite often is not the cheapest one.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:16 PM   #8

We put Toyos on our old motorhome - great quality and great ride. Our Axis has brand new tires but when it's time to replace, we'll buy Toyos again.
Wwdnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
Random no-name "brands" are pretty much guaranteed to be made from 100% Chinesium.

Other examples are names like Double-Coin, Windpower, DoubleRoad, Triangle, Aeolus, etc.... If you've never heard of them before, they are 98% likely to be Chinesium and probably trash. They even advertise them as for "short distance regional trips in good conditions" which means if there's weather or heat.... Tire failure is likely. That's JUST the kind of thing we would want, right? PFFT!

Use them at your peril.
Double Coin tires: Yes, they are Chinese made. Stating that they are probably trash is prejudging. You want to look into any tire manufacture before purchasing.

Double Coin tires have been sold in the USA to OTR truckers, since 1992. If it was not for the recommendations from my trucker friends, I would not have purchased them three years ago. Yes, I do love my family, and though about them before purchasing the tires.

Getting off my soap box now.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:48 AM   #10

Omni United is actually a pretty respected tire company. As has been mentioned, it is hardhearted in Singapore, BTW, Singapore is NOT in China but is located in Southeast Asia and is a sovereign republic of its own and even though the majority of its residents are of Chinese ethnicity, the city/state itself is comprised of many Asian ethnicities.

Omni United has been selling tires in the U.S. for at least ten years and sell more than two million tires per year in the U.S. under several model or brand names including Radar.

From what I remember reading, one notable thing the company does is contributes millions of dollars to breast cancer research. Radar also participates in motorsports sponsorships and in addition sponsors LPGA Jodi Ewart Shadoff ...see below

Although like other tire manufacturers, Omni United has several manufacturing plants around the world and they do have one in China but I don't believe their commercial tires are manufactured at their China plant.

But no, they are not just another cheap "Chinesium" tire. It's a quality product and well engineered. The mindset in Singapore is very detailed oriented and I can't believe they'd make an inferior product.

I don't think you have to worry about buying a Radar tire. Would I prefer Toyo if they were the same price, yes, probably. But if you can get them at a good price and the specifications match your application, I would not hesitate running them on a motorhome.

And I agree with D Gardiner. Double Coin has been a well regarded tire used by truckers for years. Yes, they're made by a Chinese company that does have a very good reputation. I personally try hard not to buy products from a Chinese-based company if there are other alternatives. Just from a personal standpoint, I do like the tires coming from companies that are headquartered in Japan ...Toyo, Sumitomo, Yokohama, etc.

And anecdotally, a neighbor of mine told me he just bought a set of tires for his Nissan call Barum at Discount Tire and is very happy with their performance and the great price. I thought at first that they might be Chinese tires but turns out that the company itself is a Czechoslovakian tire company that was taken over by Continental (the German-based company) in 1993. They evidently have had an excellent reputaton in Europe for many years now.

Who makes Barum Tires and are they any good?

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, tire, tires