Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #1

Radiator expansion tank failure

I have a 2001 holiday rambler, ambassador, 34 pbd w/isb260 Cummins.
The radiator expansion tank is plastic (I think) and has cracked in a Couple of places Which leak.

I have tried patching it with Epoxy, jb weld, and metal reinforced bonds with some fiberglass Matt. I have even let it sit for days to cure. I have cleaned, sanded and washed with acetone before patching.

Each patch looks great and seems to adhere but at some point a day or so after it starts to leak again and the patch comes off in one piece.

Anyone know of a good way to repair the tank or find a replacement?
AirBossdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2020, 04:17 PM   #2

If your tank is like mine, it is under constant pressure as the coolant flows into and out of it.

If your coach has a Freightliner Chassis, you should be able to take your VIN number to them, and they can tell you everything about your chassis. If luck holds, they may still have the one your coach uses in stock someplace!

BTW, those tanks are a constant source of complaints about cracking and leaking on this forum. You are not alone.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:18 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
There are many posts on this common issue with the Cummins radiator tank. Some include pictures, procedures used, short cuts, replacement part information. Search the archives.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #4

Maybe I don’t know how to search. I’m pretty new here. I tried expansion tank, radiator tank and now Cummins radiator tank as you suggest and found nothing in this topic. There are some posts about overflow tanks but I don’t see anything about expansion tanks. Can someone help me understand how to do this search?
Old 07-07-2020, 05:24 PM   #5

Thanks. Unfortunately it’s a roadmaster chassis. Freightliner has no info.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco did not make the plastic tank. Most were Volvo tanks but they used others as well. You need to replace the OEM plastic tank with a steel tank.
Try this one:
Radiator Overflow Tank, Metal **ONE WEEK LEAD TIME**: nwrvsupply.com

Source Engineering is another place:
http://sourcerv.com/products

You might also look at the tank Dodge uses with the ISB engine.

Some folks have built there own expansion tank or had one built.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:59 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBossdavid View Post
Maybe I don’t know how to search. I’m pretty new here. I tried expansion tank, radiator tank and now Cummins radiator tank as you suggest and found nothing in this topic. There are some posts about overflow tanks but I don’t see anything about expansion tanks. Can someone help me understand how to do this search?
Being plastic, I assume it's just an overflow tank and you might try here...
https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Mine doesn't have one and in it's place, a steel expansion tank with a pressure cap and the old standard overflow tube, going towards the ground and for which I've hung a plastic bottle on. This is only so I can see if the cap is weak and lifting for losing fluid.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:21 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
The plastic you have is probably slick to the touch, which makes is hard to get something to stick. I've had success in the past with a plastic specific epoxy. JBWeld and Loctite make some good stuff. I've even epoxied the inside of a door panel, that was made with a very slick plastic. While it wasn't under pressure, it worked pretty good.

Tags
radiator, tank