Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2018, 02:03 PM   #1

Radiator hose

I have a 2013 allegr o breeze. I am being told that to replace the radiator hose they are going to have to take out my bed, pull up the floor under the bed in order to replace the hose. An entire day and a half of labor. Why would they design a part that usually needs to be replaced in a costly place like this. The hose is led than 20 and the labor is out the window.
Tiffin should be better than that.

Anyone had this issue
Dswths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dswths View Post
I have a 2013 allegr o breeze. I am being told that to replace the radiator hose they are going to have to take out my bed, pull up the floor under the bed in order to replace the hose. An entire day and a half of labor. Why would they design a part that usually needs to be replaced in a costly place like this. The hose is led than 20 and the labor is out the window.

Anyone had this issue
Who is telling you this and exactly why does it need to be replaced?
Old 01-08-2018, 03:56 PM   #3

Alliance in woodwind fl. The hose broke on my last trip. It was near the front so I was able to splice it on the road. It is my second splice. Getting ready for a three month trip so decide just to replace it for piece of mind.
Dswths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Alliance Coach in Wildwood FL has a great reputation. But this time of year you have to schedule ahead.

RV Service Department | Alliance Coach | Wildwood, FL
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #5

I think I would ask Alliance if they can cut in a hinged floor hatch to make any future hose repairs more easily accessible, that's crazy a day and half to install a radiator hose.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sorry to hear your hose needs to be replaced at about 1/2 its normal life span. Mine are difficult to get to also but if I drop the muffler and particulate filter, I can get to mine from under the coach. Is there an easier access from under your coach? Maybe you should ask.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #7

Since your coach is on a Tiffin PowerGlide chassis I would be contacting Tiffin and verify the proper repair procedure. You might want to check the warranty on your chassis, just maybe this repair is still covered, or Tiffin might offer some assistance if you press the issue. I feel a coolant hose failure after 4 years of use is very unusual and if this repair procedure is correct then it's a very poor design.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dswths View Post

Anyone had this issue
Well Sir,
I feel your pain. I'm one of those that does as much work for myself as possible. This means I've done some pain in the a$$ repairs/alterations/modifications/maintenance and more on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. I pulled the radiator and CAC about a year after we purchased the coach, which was about 6.5 years ago. I pulled it because it was leaking and, was seriously dirty from an improperly placed blow-by hose.

But, I'm in the process again of pulling it and the CAC for maintenance and parts replacements on the front of that CAT. But, by some odd and phenomenally bizarre coincidence, I developed a fairly bad coolant leak only two days ago, while the big beast was parked in its cave, attached to our home. Based on the very limited amount of visibility from under the coach, I cannot tell exactly where it's emanating from. It's running down the sides etc. of the water pump and running down other parts and lower hoses.

The area is so conjested with a zillion parts, structures, components and more that, as the coach sits, it's virtually impossible to see all angles of that water pump.

But, in the pictures below, (from the first time I tore this jewel apart) you'll see the lower section of a 2" radiator hose, with a clamp, right next to the fan hub bearing. I'm hoping that, when I finish pulling the Radiator and CAC that, it will show me that, that hose is the source of the leak, and not the water pump or water pump drive seal.

But, the point is, you (the OP) are receiving estimates of high labor to get at your one radiator hose, take a look at the one I'm talking about. That hose is not even visible from any access to the engine etc, WITHOUT pulling the radiator on mine. And, pulling that radiator is no small chore. The last time, it took me right at 6 hours to pull it. I'm figuring about 1/2 that time this time.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000901.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	188131   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000914.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	188132  

Click image for larger version