Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2021, 04:08 PM   #1

Radio stopped working and no power to main switch either

New to rving and new to this forum a just purchased a 2007 monaco knight and working thru the kinks. my current issue is coming back from trip radio shut off . the switch on the dash that lights for the radio is no longer coming on . I checked all the fuses . I had power at the constant yellow but that's it . I don't wanna drive to florida singing to myself .
Rolandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
not exactly sure what you are saying. Run a temp wire to the radio and make sure it is NOT an in-line fuse some place. Other than that, radio shop
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
not exactly sure what you are saying. Run a temp wire to the radio and make sure it is NOT an in-line fuse some place. Other than that, radio shop
so radio switch no longer has power . and the radio has no power . was working fine going on trip on way home it cut out. Ive tested all fuses and still nothing
Old 10-16-2021, 04:59 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If that is a Magnadyne radio, they were notorious for losing power. The most notable, they wouldn't have enough power to turn a CD, but the radio could still work. It was standard equipment in Monaco motor homes for many years. I would say when most of them quit working, people tossed them and bought another radio.

It was years later that someone finally found a defect in the radio that was causing the issue. The power wire, where it plugs into the radio, at the radio chassis plug, was not making a good connection. Once repaired, they worked well.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:35 PM   #5

The radio may be powered by the house batteries. Is the battery disconnect on ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #6

Itís an after market radio. Everything was working fine. Was on during drive home and it all went out the radio and well as dash switch if it was radio would be no big deal. Iím stumped as to why dash switch is dead. Iíve check every fuse possible somethings causing it.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:36 PM   #7

I'm also confused about what you are referring to as "dash switch" . Are you referring to the On/Off knob or button of the radio? If that's correct, and all the fuses are functional (remember that sometimes fuses may look intact when, if fact, they may be burned), then it has to be a radio issue.

Maybe the power connector got loose while on the road? That happened to me once and I just had to slide the radio out and reconnected it again.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:08 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
rolandj-

Page 162 of the owner's manual for your coach (link here) says that fuse F16 on the interior ("house") 12V fuse panel is the one that powers the dash radio switch. It is a 5A fuse.

Also, if you have a radio switch in the bedroom, set in in each of the two positions and see if the radio works in either.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandj View Post
so radio switch no longer has power . and the radio has no power . was working fine going on trip on way home it cut out. Ive tested all fuses and still nothing
I am assuming the lighted radio switch supposed to be hot all the time? Easy fix is to give that switch another fused power source. Run a wire from the back of a cigarette lighter plug or something else hot in the vicinity of the switch. For safety put a fuse in the line of the new wire.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:13 AM   #10

Yes it is the dash switch that has no power. If it was just the radio I wouldnít be as baffled. Iíve checked every fuse . Put a test light on either side of the fuse so both sides are lit. Tried playing with all the switches in the bedroom. The thing that is baffling is that a cut out while I was driving if it wasnít working while I was stopped I would think something mightíve gotten turned off or whatever but the fact that it just went out while driving. Thereís definitely some other fuse but I donít know where I found one little in-line five behind the dash check that and that was good. Stumped
Old 10-18-2021, 06:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchu View Post
I'm also confused about what you are referring to as "dash switch" . Are you referring to the On/Off knob or button of the radio? If that's correct, and all the fuses are functional (remember that sometimes fuses may look intact when, if fact, they may be burned), then it has to be a radio issue.

Maybe the power connector got loose while on the road? That happened to me once and I just had to slide the radio out and reconnected it again.
Itís the main dash switch that has no power. Not the radio
Old 10-18-2021, 07:44 AM   #12

OK, main switch... I'm still confused there, sorry. It may be I'm getting slow with age..lol.

What I was referring to is the power connector in the back of radio (see pic - wire colours may be different). Do you have power there? (easy check with a voltmeter). If you do, forget about fuses. The issue is the radio. If you don't, then yes the issue is down those wires somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car-stereo-power-wiring-colors-example-illustrated.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	346413  
Old 10-18-2021, 08:24 AM   #13

The switch on my dash that says only radio swaps radio to tv output over the speakers. I imagine there are many contacts to make that happen or to multi contact relay. Ours may vary there.
I have 2 fuses in elect.bay for radio one for power ,other marked radio memory.Both fed by chassis batts. Possibly someone ran or used wire to house batts.
Did you test this switch prior to the loss of radio power.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandj View Post
My MH has 3 radios, each has a fuse in the back-side and a fuse or circuit breaker in the wiring.
The bedroom radio stopped working a few years ago. The back-side fuse tested good, the circuit breaker tested good and I had power to the plug on the back of the radio. Further investigation discovered the fuse ends and holder terminals were corroded so much there was no continuity.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no power, power, radio, switch