Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2020, 07:06 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Rain Causing Check Engine Light

Can driving in a day long rain cause the check engine warning in a Diesel pusher?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #2

If the air filter got soaked it could. You need to have the code read.

See if you have a air filter minder. It may be red.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:16 AM   #3

There have been reports of the water/fuel filter electrical connector on the bottom of filter when wet can set off the check engine light.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:04 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Golden Gopher:

Like twinboat says, you have to get the fault code(s) logged by the ECM/ECU. Starting anywhere else is merely speculative. The code(s) will tell you or your mechanic why the light was lit. That, in turn, may point directly at a problem, or it may be symptomatic of an underlying problem. In either case, it's the right place to start.

Welcome to the hunt.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward3411 View Post
There have been reports of the water/fuel filter electrical connector on the bottom of filter when wet can set off the check engine light.

I had that happen. I shrink wrapped the wires at the filer connection and solved the problem.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward3411 View Post

I also had this happen... though on my rig it explicitly had a “fuel in water” warning on the dash. Like others have said, you need to getyour code read.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If the air filter got soaked it could. You need to have the code read.

See if you have a air filter minder. It may be red.
twinboat...
Can you recommend a good, affordable brand, model# of a OBII code reader that everybody should be carrying with them? A stand alone OBII reader. I don't want any of these phone app things. If I get stranded somewhere I'd like to have the ability to plug in and scan right there.

Also, do all OBII readers work the same on both diesel and gas rigs or do they each require a different device to read codes ? I have been wanting a good reader for our gas coach.

And lastly, once you have the code/codes how to now find out what they mean and where to start looking? Is there a particular site you go to or do you just start googling for interpretations?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #8

I would call a local auto parts store that lends out tools to see if they have one.

Lots of reviews of HD truck code readers.

As far as code intuprtations, Google is your friend.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #9

I replaced my fuel pump with the new fass system. The old fuel filter had a water sensor in the bottom. We replaced the fuel filter with the fass filters. They don't have a place for the water sensor probe. We had just zip tied the sensor out of the way. I was driving on a rainy day and got the water in fuel light on the dash. After it dried out, I taped the sensor up so it couldn't get wet anymore. Has you rv had the fuel pump replaced with the fass system. Many coaches of that era have had it done. Perhaps you have the same scenario as me. Just a thought.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I would call a local auto parts store that lends out tools to see if they have one.

Lots of reviews of HD truck code readers.

As far as code intuprtations, Google is your friend.
I was afraid you might reply with that. LOL

I want my own reader. I don't want to rely on someone else that MAY have a lender.

So again...anybody...any suggestions on a good, affordable OBII code reader as I outlined in Post# 7?
Old 03-27-2020, 11:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
twinboat...
Can you recommend a good, affordable brand, model# of a OBII code reader that everybody should be carrying with them? A stand alone OBII reader. I don't want any of these phone app things. If I get stranded somewhere I'd like to have the ability to plug in and scan right there.

Also, do all OBII readers work the same on both diesel and gas rigs or do they each require a different device to read codes ? I have been wanting a good reader for our gas coach.

And lastly, once you have the code/codes how to now find out what they mean and where to start looking? Is there a particular site you go to or do you just start googling for interpretations?
OBDII is specifically for gas auto and light duty trucks including Ford V10 RVs.
Diesel newer are "J1939" and older (around 2002 and older) "J1708" protocol.

For OBDII, get an ELM 327 compatible scan tool. You can use Torque Pro app on your Android phone. That sounds like what you would need. $35 or so for the bluetooth OBDII adapter and the Torque pro is a free app.

Any auto parts store will sell a hard wired scan tool for OBDII. There are a zillion different ones. Plan on $100 and up. ABS brake support is extra.

For Diesel, the Bluefire bluetooth scan tool seems most popular on this forum.

For real diagnostics, SnapOn and others make more professional tools. Typically $3K and up.

Dealership tools are the most comprehensive and are tested on the actual vehicles but are pricey: $10K and up is typical.

Once you have a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) from the scan tool, type that in with your vehicle ("P0123 Ford V10") in a google search and you will find lots of general info on the issue.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:28 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We use a ScanGauge-D computer. It will display the raw fault codes that any competent service outlet can interpret for you,
Old 03-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #13

Our 2008 freightliner chassis kept giving water in fuel and other nasty problems when it rained. I spent some time and redid multiple crimped butt connectors and used dielectric grease to help weatherproof when repaired. All has been good for over two years.

Anytime I'm troubleshooting I bring my CRC contact cleaner and lubricant, my crimpers, new connectors, meter and dielectric grease. If I test a fuse, I REMOVE it, measure the ohms, clean the fuse and socket and replace. I believe I've been reducing my future errors as a result.
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:10 PM   #14

OK so you can see my question in Post #10 for a good hardwired OBD II reader unit.

But we do have a installed a Scanguage II unit that I keep hooked up to our gas coach and I depend on it a lot while under way. But did I miss something when I bought this unit or am I just getting older and don't remember.

Does the Scanguage II also read fault codes?

Tags
check engine light, engine, light