Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to smittythebea
Angry Rain coming in after roof seal at Camping World

I have a 2004 Gulfstream Friendship G7 (4 slides) . I've lived full-time in it for a year. I lived at the beach, and went through many a nor'easter. Everything was snug as could be. I took the RV to Camping World for preventative maintenance and a had a "roof scrape and seal" and all of the slides inspected (seals and gaskets). Now I have leaks. There is a leak in the bedroom that has spread on the floor under the bed slide and there is mold and mildew. This morning, while I am on vacation in North Carolina, there is a leak on the driver side slide - the cabinet is wet inside, and it leaked through the cabinet and the couch is soaked. Camping World says that the leak is through the windows in the bedroom (funny, it never leaked at the beach). Today I am thinking that this water is coming somehow from the top of the slide. The rain last night wasn't blowing, just a steady drizzle. I have been in touch with CW, but the are not taking any responsiblity for the leaks that occurred since they did the work. Could the slide leak that much - but only since CW did the work? Right now we are not level, but only one slide is leaking.

Arggggggh! Camping World service department is not my favorite. Now I have another week of vacation with a soaked couch.

Any thoughts on running down the leak? I don't have a way to get on top of the rig to check the seals.
smittythebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #2

Something you might check are the slide toppers where they are attached to the coach. I had a leak in my GS Tourmaster that I couldn't find on a bedroom slide. After trying everything to find it, I noticed that the slide awning had seperated slightly from the coach on one end for about 4 feet and water was running down on top of the slide and finding leaks in the seals. The seperation was so slight that it was difficult to see. I discovered it after a rain and the top of the slide was covered with water. Had the awning reattached and sealed, no more leaking.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Might suggest to try to find a Mobile RV tech. Water intrusion needs to be fixed soonest to minimize collateral damage.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #4

In know that this advice comes too late but 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' applies universally. In my experience while it is a good idea to regularly inspect caulking for damage and also the interior for any moisture intrusion as most manufacturers recommend, attempting to remove and replace sealants or gaskets that otherwise show no signs of damage or leakage is more likely to generate problems than cure them.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most RV dealerships with reputable service departments have a "seal tech" system that allows them to pressurize the coach. They then use soapy water to find the exterior leak or leaks, then you'll have no more problems once sealed correctly. The initial cost for just the pressure test is between $150.00 to $200.00. Best of luck but get it done ASAP!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #6

I have been in the roofing industry for 25 years. I would never let a place like "Camper world" touch my rvs roof. I started fixing roofs for a local dealer and its amazing how poorly previous work has been done. Heck a lot of manufacturers could use some pointers too.
sresener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
As stated find a dealership with the SealTech system. It is the best way to find leaks. If you keep chasing it by the time it is found major damage has happened. It is so worth the testing cost!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Camping World Info

I had a problem with Camping World with a recent purchase of a class a DP in Ala. After trying to get help with the that store, I e mailed the CEO of Camping World, got his e mail address from I think RV.net. Got a e mail the next day said I will get right on it. I got a call from the General Manager the next day, problem fixed. Now having said that does not mean everything with this sale was all good, it means the CEO did what he said.
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to smittythebea
Water leak, etc.

I have e-mailed the CEO of Camping World - the service manager has come to my RV to redo work that was done improperly- check valves installed backwards, incorrect jacks worked on, toilet seal put in upside down (it even said which side to put up), but they still have not done what we needed them to do, nor have they gone on the roof to check for leaks. I am to the point of hiring an attorney to get my money back and get money for a correct and full repair plus for all the time in hotels and time taken off from work to deal with this company.

Note- I had a new slide topper put on the slide that had water come in 2 days before I left on this trip. Camping World put it on for free - it seems as if their touch is the kiss of death.
smittythebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #10

I have had trouble / camping world also. I have had a pressure test to find a leak. It works. I now have Eternabond on all perimiter seams and don't have any leaks. The best product in the world.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #11

AMAZING! That what you find is people who do jobs on your rv will seldom, if ever, accept that their work caused more problems. It's always just a "coincidence" that another problem appeared after they worked on your rig.
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Eternabond tape will end the problem forever, no more taking it to CW for seam maintenance of any kind. EternaBond RoofSeal I did this one 10 years ago and haven't touched it since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof Tape 002 (Small).jpg
Views:	165
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	52862  
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Eternabond tape will end the problem forever, no more taking it to CW for seam maintenance of any kind. EternaBond RoofSeal I did this one 10 years ago and haven't touched it since.
That looks great! I'd like to do that to our Bounder while it is still relatively new and before we have any problems. You have to wonder why the RV manufacturers aren't proactively adding something like Eternabond themselves...it seems like a logical solution.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #14

Roof repair

Has any one had experience with EDPM roof replacement vs the liquid rubber roof? I have a few small leaks and have received quotes from several places/individuals of $3000 to $6000. I have used the Eternabond tape but it has come off in a few areas. I can buy the roof "kit" for anywhere from $400 to $900 and it includes the roll of EPDM and all needed glue, tape, etc. The question: is the "liquid" roof that goes on like paint a viable alternative to EPDM replacement.

Not trying to get off cheap just want to know if I am considering the expense of an entire new roof "overkill".
gary276 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, roof, seal