Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2022, 04:21 PM   #1

Rain-X

I've used it over the years on different vehicles and decided to use it on the MH due to the huge wiper blades dragging across the glass. I still have the original formula but now I see they have expanded their product line to include a glass cleaner that claims to also leave the coating on the glass like the original apply and buff formula, but I can't see that it would be as good as the original. My plan is to use the original for the initial coat and the glass cleaner to hopefully extend the life of the treatment. They say monthly applications are necessary but for a vehicle stored indoors and not used for a month or two I don't think that rule applies? Any others out there who like to use Rain-X?
I had a car many years ago and the wipers had quit, I put Rain-X on the glass till I could get somewhere to fix them and it sold me on the product, I was able to continue on and see just fine.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2022, 04:30 PM   #2

I use Rain-X on our RV and daily drivers. Depending on what's in the store, and what I need to cover, I might get any of their products. I use the washer fluid/anti freeze on all vehicles all year long. I usually use the original on rear and side windows.
I have a C under an RV port. It is good [emoji106].
TexasJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 04:35 PM   #3

The best windshield cleaner is 0000 steel wool. Clean your windshield with the steel wool dry then apply 2 coats of original rainx. I like to coat my wipers with it as well. If wipers are older clean with brake clean on a rag first
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:11 PM   #4

One time I was driving into a heavy rain event and my wiper motor crank arm stripped on the gearbox shaft = no wiper movement. I had treated my MH windshield with RainX before the trip. The result was, I could continue to drive without wipers, water beaded up and blew away.
Although the instructions say not to use it on the inside, I did. It prevents the glass from fogging up badly, instead the moisture beads up and runs down to the dash, where DW places towels.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:19 PM   #5

I use Rain-X on all our vehicles and boats .

I also apply it to the inside of the windows . It prevents fogging and condensation .

I learned that 0000 Bronze Wool is what the professionals use on windows .

I had been using 0000 Steel Wool to clean the boat windows . It's moored year round in Saltwater , so the salt spray is a pain to clean off the windows. The problem was after cleaning the boat , the next time I was at the boat I noticed small rust stains all over the deck .

The Pro cleaning the boat next to me pointed out it was from the Steel Wool and that Bronze Wool doesn't rust and won't stain the boat .

He made a believer out of me . I now use Bronze Wool on all our windows .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:37 PM   #6

You mentioned wipers dragging ....many owners have reduced to 28" blades to help and because they can get them anywhere "kind of, depends on blade attachment"
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
You mentioned wipers dragging ....many owners have reduced to 28" blades to help and because they can get them anywhere "kind of, depends on blade attachment"
Yep, I found that out too late. My rig calls for 28s but had 26s on it when I bought it, now I know why. Next time I'll go back to the 26s, maybe sooner if the Rain-X doesn't help. I don't want to stress the motor and arms/splines. Wipers last a long time when you store indoors and live in the desert.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:46 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've aways just waxed the windshields, on our cars & MH. Use 303 on the wipers. Both work great.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:18 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
I use the 0000 steel wool and then apply ReJex. Much easier to use than Rainx and you can do the entire coach with it. Also use it in the fiberglass shower
Old 04-26-2022, 11:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I use the 0000 steel wool and then apply ReJex. Much easier to use than Rainx and you can do the entire coach with it. Also use it in the fiberglass shower
We also use it in the toilet bowl (at home, also - as well as vanity sinks and mirrors). They all clean up much easier.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:17 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Also use it in the fiberglass shower
Do you use it on the floor? Does it make it slippery?
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:58 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
One time I was driving into a heavy rain event and my wiper motor crank arm stripped on the gearbox shaft = no wiper movement. I had treated my MH windshield with RainX before the trip. The result was, I could continue to drive without wipers, water beaded up and blew away.
Although the instructions say not to use it on the inside, I did. It prevents the glass from fogging up badly, instead the moisture beads up and runs down to the dash, where DW places towels.
We ran into a similar issue after the wipers stopped when we first bought it last year the dealer replaced the wiper motor but on our summer trip back to hometown in New England last year on our way back to Florida it did the same thing in a driving rain in heavy traffic. slammed over and hung up on the mirror stripped it clean a miracle it didn't fall off. Luckily I've always used RainX for as long as its been out and had applied it before we left on the trip. I had no issues seeing and it was a good thing because the rain that day last for another 3 -4 hrs and had several other rainstorms on our 2 wk. trip back home. Dealer replaced everything.
On another note it was noted by Tiffin when I was looking for new blades that it originally came with 40" arms which I thought were way too big. Yet when we bought it last year it had 38" which are had to find. The dealer so dealer installed 36" arms with the new assembly and I find them still stumbling across the windshield even in the rain so I'm thinking perhaps that I might go to 32" just not sure if they are big enough so looking for input. Thxs
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:03 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepter40 View Post
Do you use it on the floor? Does it make it slippery?

The floor is textured but no, I do not use it on the shower floor
Old 05-02-2022, 12:36 PM   #14

I wet to buy more Rain-X today and I see they now have one in aerosol that you can just spray on and wipe off, single application and no buffing. Somehow I can't see this working as well as the original so I bought the original that is now available in a squirt bottle.